Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2023, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Installed aftermarket Exhaust on My TVS Apache RR 310

Hi guys.

The sound from the stock exhaust of RR310 is pathetic and many of you know well that even its smaller cousins such as the Apache RTR 200 and Apache RTR 160 sound way better than the RR310.

From the moment I took the delivery of the bike, I'd decided that the stock exhaust had to go.

I was on the hunt to find a good exhaust that sounds great with good bass and is louder but not to the extent that it irritates me or other people on the road but yeah, it should help me and the bike to grab the attention of the public on the road.

Installed aftermarket Exhaust on My TVS Apache RR 310-img20231017102051.jpg

Installed aftermarket Exhaust on My TVS Apache RR 310-img20231015103522.jpg

Firstly I searched here on Team-BHP but found nothing, then I scrolled through YouTube videos for any leads and found one video in which the owner installed a Yoshimura R-77 exhaust on his RR310 and it sounded great. No other exhaust impressed me, Akrapovic doesn't sound good on the R310 because of the low bass and more loudness.

I contacted him and he helped me procure the bend pipe and exhaust. Total cost: Rs 15k (10k for the bend pipe and 5k for the exhaust, it is a replica). I took the bike to the TVS ASS and got them to instal it on my bike for Rs 700.

Check the video of my bike to see how it sounds now. In reality, it has more bass. The video does not do justice to the sound.

Pros-

1. Lightweight: This whole setup weighs just 3 kg while the stock setup weighs 8 kg. So, the bike weight is come down from 169 kg to 164 kg

2. Power Increase: Due to the free flow bend pipe with the resonator, I can feel the increased punch during acceleration and top speed. Now, the bike produces 36 BHP and 30 Nm of torque up from stock 33.5 BHP and 27.3 Nm torque

Now the engine feels more refined and easy to rev, also the vibrations of the bike have been reduced.

3. Looks: This setup looks very premium, and has a very nice build quality. The looks of the stock exhaust were a big turn-off

4. Reliability: I have ridden the bike for 2000 kms after installing the bend pipe and exhaust and I haven't faced any problems

Cons-

1. Expensive: At Rs 15k I think it is quite expensive. According to me, both bend pipe and exhaust should cost around 10k

2. Screws of the mouth of the bend pipe which goes inside the engine tend to get loose every 300 to 400 km, I have to tighten them repeatedly

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th January 2024 at 13:50. Reason: Post formatting
vattyboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 04:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Installed aftermarket Exhaust on My TVS Apache RR 310

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 30th December 2023, 15:26   #3
BHPian

I hope you have kept the original exhaust because there are high chances that you're going to revert back to it in some time.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 15:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vattyboy View Post
Power Increase - Due to the free flow bend pipe with the resonator, I can feel the increased punch during acceleration and top speed.
Now bike produces 36 bhp and 30 nm of torque up from stock 33.5 bhp and 27.3 nm torque.
Do you have a photo of the dyno graph of your bike from when it was tested to produce these figures?

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2024 at 09:28. Reason: Last line was unnecessary
boniver is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 21:04   #5
BHPian

Re: Installed aftermarket Exhaust on My TVS Apache RR 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Do you have a photo of the dyno graph of your bike from when it was tested to produce these figures?
Free-flow bend pipe tends to increase the horsepower and torque figures by some amount because the exhaust gases tend to get out freely without restrictions.

A YouTuber did a dyno test with the same setup; I am claiming his figures.

I read many articles that mention a minimum of 6 to 7% increase in horsepower and torque figures; additionally it weighs less, so it is a win-win situation. I can feel this on my bike as well.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th January 2024 at 13:34. Reason: Language
vattyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 22:54   #6

@vattyboy, you are very lucky. In Delhi/NCR you will get Rs. 10,000 challan, and the exhaust will be seized by Traffic Police.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th January 2024 at 13:35. Reason: Post formatting
N4Revv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 10:52   #7

Quote:
Free-flow bend pipe tends to increase the horsepower and torque figures by some amount because the exhaust gases tend to get out freely without restrictions.

A YouTuber did a dyno test with the same setup; I am claiming his figures.
That is so out of context. A proper exhaust with a proper tune will lead to a 5-8% power increase. You feel the power gain because of 2 reasons
1. Placebo: we usually attribute more power to more sound and this is what is happenening with your bike.
2. Engine braking: stock headers are restrictive and generate more engine braking than free flow exhausts. You are simply using your brakes harder than last time and you think the bike is fast.

Social media has ruined bike culture, power increase and exhausts are usually the last piece of the puzzle there are so many mods that actually lead to power increase but are not hyped in social media so they are neglected.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th January 2024 at 14:01. Reason: Quote post edited
v4run is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 12:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4run View Post
A proper exhaust with a proper tune will lead to a 5-8% power increase. You feel the power gain because of 2 reasons
I did not change my exhaust for an increase in performance; performance was the last parameter on my mind. I just wanted a change in the exhaust note. A little performance gain would be a bonus.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th January 2024 at 13:37. Reason: Language
Old 10th January 2024, 10:45   #9
BHPian

The exhaust you have installed is understandably a fake as you have admitted.

However, I am curious to know how you claim it helps in power gains and how you came up with these figures. Are these revealed by the manufacturer? I don't think fake exhaust makers release any.

You also claim that the exhaust is well built, yet you have to tighten bolts every 200-300 km. Isn't that contradictory?

I do admit 15k is a good deal for an exhaust, and you have only done this for the 'sound', but cheap doesn't always mean good.
sodapop is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 10:56   #10
BHPian

Just my 10 Cents :

I have seen the dyno graphs of stock, akra and local (read fake) exhaust systems.

Matter of fact, the RR310 loses power on Akra with stock map. It is expected tbh, the exhaust is designed as per the map of G310R and not the RR310 which runs completely different electronics.

Now with the fake exhausts, the bike loses upto 2Hp up at the top. The remap makes it only as quick as the stock now which makes around 33.9hp at wheels while Akra and remap go around 35.6hp.

The fake exhaust makes it sound bad too because it does not really have anything inside to channel the sound like the stock or the Akra. Rather you should have gone for the RR310 BS6.2 BTO exhaust. It sounds much different too, yes the O2 sensor is a bit different but hey as you are modifying, it is alright. That exhaust costs around 66K.

Hope this helps. Also, that particular bike might be yours but it isn't a prototype. I own the first gen RR310 from the first batch. It is the 1st motorcycle of Karnataka. If you check the thread of another very famous motorcycling website, you will know.

Cheers mate! We are trying to help you not ruin the motorcycle.

Last edited by Naparajito : 10th January 2024 at 11:05.
Naparajito is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:24   #11
BANNED

Quote:
I read many articles and I got information that min to min there is a 6 to 7% increase in horsepower and torque figures plus it weighs less so it is a win-win situation and I can feel this in real life on my bike.
Rr310 and the BMW twins use a reverse recline engine with a hemispherical cross flow head. The exhaust actually is tuned to create a low pressure wave above 7000rpm and that's why the Rr310 note changes post 7k. The exhaust helps pull spent gases out to increase volumetric efficiency. As said by another user, even the original Akrapovic needs a remap to change the fuelling characters to gain the required advantage. The engine and stock exhaust is that well tuned.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th January 2024 at 13:39. Reason: Quoted post edited
racerdabba is offline   (18) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th January 2024, 12:13   #12
BHPian

Do note that that these exhausts DO NOT make any additional power, as other members are pointing out.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th January 2024 at 13:54. Reason: Quoted post deleted
boniver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 12:30   #13
BHPian

Nice mod brother. An exhaust modification which makes you happy is money well spent.

Quote:
2. Screws of the mouth of the bend pipe which goes inside the engine tend to get loose every 300 to 400 km, I have to tighten them again and again.
Is there no permanent fix for this? Also is this only for your case, or is it for that Youtoober as well? Changing the screws or welding can help I guess. If you can post a picture, I might be able to help!
ron82x3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Thread locked as the modification has been discussed enough.

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2024 at 09:39. Reason: Updating thread closure note
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks