Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2024, 14:41   #1
BHPian

Unleashing the inner demons | Salaga, my 2017 KTM Duke 390

Hello all,
This is my first thread on TeamBHP after interacting a bit with the senior members of the forum, who are close friends now and KarthikK asked me to write an ownership thread on my erstwhile Himalayan, but now another motorcycle has come to take that honour.

This is a raw and completely from the mind sort of opinion. No planned sequence, or writeups. I will surely try and add some pictures on the way. Do excuse if any shortcomings. Also, I realized that me documenting my travel experiences on the 411 Himalayan thread could very well have been done on my own - and I have one now, so without further ado,
Welcome to Salaga, my preworshipped Duke 390!

Unleashing the inner demons | Salaga, my 2017 KTM Duke 390-duke-390.jpg

Who am I as a car/bike enthusiast?
I was an automotive nut from as far as I can remember, buses and car wheels (of even toys!) being my fascination as a young boy and ofcourse, imitating the sounds of a car or bike even on a football field running on them, the memories being an embarassment even now when my school friends remind me of it. I lived in Singapore until 2005 and had a gala time enjoying the lovely design (and of the wheels) of the SBS Transit single and double decker buses, especially the yellow joint buses that the BMTC here in Bengaluru adopted unto 2014. Back in Bengaluru, my earliest memories are of our relatives purchased a 2006 Red Swift Vxi and our family bought our first car, a WagonR Lxi (petrol+LPG) after using a relatives Daewoo Matiz, its engine note still fresh in my mind. I remember pouring through the Innova brochure enamoured by its silver colour, startup sound and the diesel tone. My father being 5'9 preferred the tall roof of the WagonR and bought it instead. We upgraded to a Scorpio SLE in 2013 and she still remains with us, having run around 45000 km. It was the first vehicle I drove for around 30000 km after I got my licence before I gave up car driving around a couple of years ago. I still do, enjoying test driving new launches without fail but regularly, only if I want/have to. I am a confirmed diesel head, the sole petrol engines impressing me being the MStallion 2.0L unit on the XUV700 or the 1.5 TSI on the Slavia.

My biking/2 wheeler journey
It started back in 2003 when I got a Hero bicycle, scaring the wits out of my neighbours (and subsequently getting grounded, after suffering a bad cut after a nasty fall on granite dust). There is something about speed that still excites me today, though a lot more cautious and wiser. I moved on to a 2006 BSA and a Trek 3700, and in 2009 I learnt riding a scooter, a 2001 Kinetic Honda VX belonging to my aunt on our home road. Dad only taught the basics on how to control the accelerator and brakes. 3 falls in the same week, on mud, sand, and water and never fell again from a motorcycle/scooter until now. It taught me to respect the machine, know its limits, and be aware of the surroundings around you, a principle that I follow on every bike. I gradually got better, doing nearby grocery store runs on our 2005 Activa (it is not Active Honda!) and started riding full time when I got my licence in 2014. I began commuting to college full time on our 2015 Dio from 2016,a round trip of around 40 km on the Kanakapura highway. We got a V15 in 2017 as a 2nd wheeler for us as my sibling too started college. I have fond memories of commuting to placement drives throughout Bengaluru - Yelahanka, KR Puram, Peenya, Jalahalli, Attibele - almost 30000 km in those 3 semesters itself.

My scooters/motorcycles until now
I started working in 2018 and bought my first scooter, a relatives Yamaha Ray Z and loved it for its amazing handling and braking, a far cry from the pathetic mess of it on the Dio. Commuting 60 km daily to Manyata was a breeze compared to even the V15 thanks to a stiffer setup, the only bone jarring experience being those rumble strips.

Unleashing the inner demons | Salaga, my 2017 KTM Duke 390-ray.jpg

The pandemic in 2020 bought a halt to all commuting and we had more time to indulge our passions and in my case, skill building and industry hopping both. I was reminded of my college commutes on the highway and I had done a ride to Tumkur and Devarayanadurga for a colleagues wedding on the V15 just before the lockdown - this lit a long lost fire to ride/drive/travel again, but this time, for pleasure. For the safe yet carefree sense of freedom aided by the panoramic views through the helmet. Once out of the lockdown, I immediately got the V15 serviced, purchased a RE Rover riding gloves and started weekend riding/driving after the first lockdown, to some hill/dam or to some breakfast point, me being a big foodie. Saturday riding and Sunday driving. Also did a weekender to Chikkamagaluru and Kemmanugundi on the V15.

Unleashing the inner demons | Salaga, my 2017 KTM Duke 390-v15.jpg

I changed my field in 2021 and the year flew by in WFH mode, 18 hour workdays rendering me totally oblivious to the new launches (the Meteor for instance, and the BS6 Himalayan/Duke 390/390 Adventure was news to me). A free day on Gandhi Jayanti made me visit the RE showroom and was just impressed with how good the motorcycles had become. I had test ridden the Himalayan and Interceptor BS4 models, and the BS6 made it even better, except for the abnormal heating on the BS6 Interceptors. A quick check of my finances, another series of test rides and requirements and I booked the BS6 Himalayan Rock Red on the spot, the last of the Tripper Navigation batches, me not wanting to delay an upgrade further in terms of safety features like dual channel ABS or power. My first big bike!

Unleashing the inner demons | Salaga, my 2017 KTM Duke 390-img_5711.jpg

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 4th February 2024 at 22:10.
100Kmphormore is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 23:02   #2
BHPian

re: Unleashing the inner demons | Salaga, my 2017 KTM Duke 390

The Himalayan story
I got her delivered on 14 Jan 2022, getting to know the bike better, doing couple of 250 km breakfast runs and giving the bike for first service barely 2 weeks after delivery. Continued doing breakfast runs almost every weekend when I could, getting Maddog aux lights and a topbox. I had purchased riding gear previous to the purchase, wanting to ride back in them from the showroom. My gear, which is still the same set today -
1. Axor Apex Vivid helmet, ECE 22.05 and DOT certified
2. Rynox Urban X jacket with level 2 chest protectors
3. Viaterra Holeshot gloves with SPS protection
Purchased later in October before a group ride
4. Raida Rover Riding pants with tailbone and knee protectors.
5. Raida Discover touring boots with the basic CE certification.

I starting touring in June 2022, my first tour being a 4 day to the Nilgiris (Ooty-Coonoor-Kotagiri), trying some delicious food recommendations by KarthikK on his thread. The bike performed absolutely well, taking the then under construction Mysuru highway, Kalhatty ghats in 2nd gear majoritively. The return to Bengaluru through Mettupalayam and Coimbatore (deviation taken to visit Kamalathal, a celebrity of sorts for her Rs.1 idlis) was when the first signs of dissatisfaction/an upgrade came to mind. The expressways are fantastic and the bike would not go smoothly above 100, and though I did do moderate triple digit speeds, the braking was an issue. not scary always, but you see someone suddenly running across the highway barely 100 m away and get that heart-in-mouth sensation (what if he isnt fast enough to get to the divider!). Handling it in the city amidst the city became an irritation, especially bumper to bumper traffic commutes due to the hard clutch, heat and weight.

Then work took over until October 22, when I enrolled for a group ride to Kuduremukha and subsequently to Dandeli and Goa in November 22. Here too, the expressway speeds being an issue as I consistently keep at 110-120 kmph on empty sections, anything lower or higher than that being not comfortable for me. Mileage on the Dandeli run was an abysmal 21-22 kmpl, a result of flogging the engine to 140 kmph while 390 Adventures were getting atleast 25-27 kmpl! It crossed the 10k km mark on this ride and I was assured I needed an upgrade, now in terms of handling and power as I gained more experience on proper riding posture and cornering. The topbox was instantly dropped after the initial rides as a luggage carrier and more of a locker facility for the gear, if we intend to do some tourism on the day, since it was causing a yaw movement on expressway flyovers and not helping in cornering in the ghats. Bought a Viaterra Element tailbag and it served me well. Heck, I wouldnt even remove it and it stood in parking lots without being touched, only being covered with a rain proof cover.

I had begun to grow comfortable with 700-1000 km days and this was NOT the bike for it, even getting the touring seat, a Powerage exhaust for some sound and comfort did not help eventually. I was not aware of the concept of long test rides, not having an informed friend/biker circle, not having heard of or being a member of TeamBHP. Else it would have been discarded on the test ride phase itself. I would have gone for the 390 Adventure. But still, this will be a bike I wont forget. My equation still is, I hate you like I loved you. First own new bike purchase, the bike that introduced me to motorcycling, which got me some sort of standing in the big bike showrooms and circles (the amount of judgement I got being on a scooter was phenomenal. The face of the Suzuki executive at the now defunct Aerolex Suzuki on Double Road when I booked a VStrom 650 (and subsequently cancelled) on the spot was priceless.

Did some rides in 2023 to Valparai, Chikkamagaluru, Agumbe, Mantralaya (Kurnool), Kerala circuit (Munnar-Vagamon-Alleppey-Varkala), Sonda(Sirsi), Ballari-Hampi, and finally Wayanad to top off the year, crossing the 20000 km milestone. Adding to above reasons was the general build quality and robustness. Speedometer vibrations causing it to be replaced twice under warranty, the tappet noise getting a cam shaft tensioner replacement and finally during my Hampi tour, the ignition bolts falling off due to expressway speed vibrations, damaging the internal ceramic portion of the switch causing it to turn off due to loose contact, potentially dangerous if it happened on an overtake. It still runs on a repair done by a local mechanic in Hospete. Royal Enfield as an organization mishandled it to the worst extent possible, denying warranty claim inspite of evidence and RSA being of no use. I had lost all faith on the bike from then since I was touring solo and the general feeling of emotion for the new 450 or the Duke 390 after test riding both was sealed since this episode in Nov 2023. Sold it in Jan 2023 at 21580 km on the odo with almost all accessories for the best price I could get to a direct buyer, maybe a little less, but saving me a ton of headache and an assurance with respect to name transfer legalities.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 5th February 2024 at 00:33.
100Kmphormore is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 21:27   #3
BHPian

How I zeroed in on the Duke, and purchase
The upgrade plans had already been afoot in 2022 itself, planning for the VStrom 650 and subsequently upto a preowned Multi 1200S, the intention being a powerful road tourer twin. Then alas, the SVB collapse and subsequent market crash in my field killed those plans and I decided to ride her a little longer, hoping to see if I could make peace with it. I did, until those issues starting May 2023 came up (I have it described in the 411 thread in detail). I also confirmed my admission for my Masters and I needed a more city friendly yet powerful bike. I had also put my bike on sale waiting for good offers and browsing through used Dominar 400s, ADV 390s etc, even a CB300R. Then the 3rd gen Duke 390 and subsequently the Himalayan 450 launched.

These 2 launches had a complete change in mindset and testriding them ultimately showed me this was what I wanted. The shortcomings was amplified by the experience I had with a pillion during my last ride to Wayanad. Linear was what I had settled for - what I wanted was powerful, lightweight, raw and furious, yet be reliable for the next couple of years. Acceleration, good handling and braking - however, my budget was only what I could extract from my 411 hence a new one was out the window, plus the *feel* wasnt there. I went back to a video I had kept on my watchlist - Shumis 1st gen 390 and that really had me looking at 1st gen 390s - all were either badly kept, shady service records or simply exorbitantly priced, plus to add their history of heating and braking issues. I then went through a review of the 2nd gen 390 and decided this was it. The addition of the 2 nm of torque also helped it become a little more friendly at low revs.

Rode a couple of them and zeroed in on my present 390, the owner being a passionate rider and was selling as he had to upgrade his riding gears and tyres for his preworshipped 790. This one had a great service history and no severe issues/ replacements, only some ECU issues in the beginning that the service sorted out promptly then. He also offered a long test ride for 45 mins and this was the clincher. The way it pulled without any noises, smooth gear shifts, freely revved just until 6000 rpm, after that it was manic, braked so well, even on worn out Metzelers. The deal was sealed for a sensible price and he had the courtesy of doing the periodic service, keeping me more or less expense free for next 5000 km atleast and informing me of an immediate tyre change upcoming sprocket/brake pad replacements and I brought her home the next morning after Ghata was sold. Even today, he remains in touch for any query as KTMs are a new breed of ownership compared to Bajaj/RE/Honda.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 4th February 2024 at 22:25.
100Kmphormore is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 22:04   #4
BHPian

Initial Impressions

I have done around 1230 km in around 25 days of ownership and she still warrants a look atleast if not a short spin everyday. Just did a 650 km Nilgiris ride last week on the extended Republic day weekend, have done a 350 km highway run with my father as pillion as the customary pooja to a temple he wanted to visit and a 50 km city run with a friend to Varthur - these are my initial observations below -

Engine - the very reason why I bought this bike - it reminded me of the XUV700 turbo petrol. I’m in love with it’s tractable low end in the city, only thing is you have to be above 2500 rpm and just give a little more on the throttle when compared to a torquey motorcycle like the Enfield and the monstrous nature after 6000 rpm on the highway. I was taking the innumerable Bandipura-Mudumalai smallish speedbreakers in 3rd gear! 43.5 horses directly delivered to the wheel due to ride by wire - chindi. It sits at 130 kmph comfortably even with a pillion and can do speeds of 160 kmph easily, if not for windblast. I never used 6th gear until it touched 120 kmph and surprisingly riding that way got me a better FE! The raw BS4 feel is there and reminds of the BS3 1st gen.

Only disadvantage for some maybe it’s heat in city commutes especially near your thighs but that wasn’t a complaint coming from a 411 cc aircooled Royal Enfield. The fan will anyway do its job as designed. We were held up from Ibluru while commuting to Varthur for an hour and it never got uncomfortable. The bike is so well designed that even the engine casing near your feet will not cause burns, and I ride mostly with riding boots or shoes on.

Brakes - brilliant. The best on any bike I’ve ridden until now, exception the Brembos. Front provides great initial bite and the rear feels wooden, takes a second, but its good too. This is probably the next reason why I bought this bike for - sudden dog runs to the road and careless pedestrians are easily taken in its stride without drama.

Suspension - very European. Stiff but not to the extent of being uncomfortable, unless you are on extremely bumpy roads on which you have to completely slow down. While returning from Ooty last weekend the Pykara lake - Gudalur stretch was like Shiradi Ghat with deep craters and roadwork going on and was a real test. My father or friend never felt the suspension to be very stiff on city or highway.

Flattens out bumps at higher speeds and the bouncy nature of a telescopic fork is nil even with a pillion. Will not do off-road - it will only rough road if necessary. Corners are a joy to take, a point and shoot sort of, I was feeling inadequate. You can feel the chassis supporting you even if you just bend without skill.

Handling - It’s for a reason it’s called the Pocket Rocket. Bloody good! On the highways it’s easy to change directions and lean over. Stays glued to the road. Being extremely lightweight makes it very easy to push out of parking lots even for thin built guys

Ergonomics - engaging and comfortable. I did feel some knee pain after doing a direct run from Theppakadu to home, it may be due to the new feeling and fitness factor (225 km in 4 hours). No need to lean due to clip on handlebars. Seat height at 830 mm is very manageable. Not good for large pillions. The seat felt like plywood at first but 50 km in was good! Firm yet supportive. My medium built father felt the same but for my very thin friend he felt it was jabbing into his tailbone. Windblast at higher speeds is there post 120 kmph. The TFT screen is a joy to use along with its Bluetooth connectivity - music control and call pick up features extremely easy to use.

Tyres - The bike had really old Metzelers that required a change and after consulting TeamBHP and fellow 390 owners I decided on the Apollo Alpha H1. Torque Block gave the best deal for Rs.10500 (front was 4823 and back was 5023 manafactured). They really complement the excellent chassis and are amazing, even on dirt and wet. At first they may be a little surprising that they lean over suddenly, just warm them up a little by doing some weaving maneuvers, no issues since then. Do be careful about jutting stones and loose sand that can upset the grip or cause a cut.

I’m in awe of what KTM brought to the market back in 2017. The first generations were troublesome and this second generation improved upon it, no severe breakdowns. I think that this BS4 2nd gen is easily the best of the 3 generations of the Duke 390, in my experience. Taming this beast is easy provided you give her your full attention! I shall add pics later on.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 4th February 2024 at 22:31.
100Kmphormore is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 07:59   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Unleashing the inner demons | Salaga, my 2017 KTM Duke 390

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 09:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
There is something about speed that still excites me today, though a lot more cautious and wiser. I moved on to a 2006 BSA and a Trek 3700, and in 2009 I learnt riding a scooter, a 2001 Kinetic Honda VX belonging to my aunt on our home road.
Lovely! I sincerely hope you've kept the Trek 3700. Its an all time classic. They dont make them like that anymore.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 14:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
...I’m in awe of what KTM brought to the market back in 2017. The first generations were troublesome and this second generation improved upon it, no severe breakdowns. I think that this BS4 2nd gen is easily the best of the 3 generations of the Duke 390, in my experience. Taming this beast is easy provided you give her your full attention! I shall add pics later on.
Lovely report/review! Now you can legit change from 100kmphormore to 150kmphormore

I was able to empathize with all that you said about both motorcycles. If all roads in all of India were stupendous, a Duke 390 (with some additional bits & bobs) would do so so well. It would be all that one needs. Not that it can't go anywhere anyway though. Ever since the Huskies came with Scorpion STRs, my mind has been wandering to want to go put them on the Duke

Congratulations! Wish you many safe & speedy miles ahead.
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 20:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Lovely! I sincerely hope you've kept the Trek 3700. Its an all time classic. They dont make them like that anymore.
Thank you! Unfortunately not. That too was a relatives and moved back to their house. I agree, a beast of a cycle and very well built with those chunky tyres!

Quote:
Congratulations! Wish you many safe & speedy miles ahead.
Lovely report/review! Now you can legit change from 100kmphormore to 150kmphormore
Thank you Saar! I don’t see why not
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 23:37   #9
BHPian

So happy to see you happy. I own a 250 and I have driven all the Duke's. The 2nd Gen 390 is an absolute blast. Ride on!
shiv11bhargava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 17:52   #10
BHPian

Picked up a 2018 duke 390. It is a single ownership with just 19000 kms on the odo. Has been a fan of bs4 390 for so long.
Attached Thumbnails
Unleashing the inner demons | Salaga, my 2017 KTM Duke 390-img20240126180732.jpg  

fireblade007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 20:23   #11

I am also in the market for a used bs4 duke 390, could someone tell me how much should I be paying for a 2018 duke 390?
Old 6th February 2024, 20:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Picked up a 2018 duke 390. It is a single ownership with just 19000 kms on the odo. Has been a fan of bs4 390 for so long.
Congrats fireblade and many happy miles with smiles! Your Dominar - did you sell it or have kept it? The running is indeed on the high side, I only have seen another couple of bikes that have done 75k km. Would be a more comfortable tourer with the topbox compared to the Duke.
Old 7th February 2024, 16:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4run
I am also in the market for a used bs4 duke 390, could someone tell me how much should I be paying for a 2018 duke 390?
Depends on the city. I see youre from Hyderabad, so 1.6-2 should be a reasonable rate depending on running and condition, and ownership as well. I paid in the middle for 2nd owner, almost 27k run in Bengaluru, a little high run for my taste but was in great shape. The rates seem have to gone up after the 3rd gen Duke 390 launch!

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 7th February 2024 at 16:08.
Old 7th February 2024, 22:23   #14
BHPian

Congratulations and welcome to the KTM family and wishing you many more happy kilometres.

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th February 2024 at 22:31. Reason: Typo fix as reported
Dhruv Shetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 18:55   #15
BHPian

Congratulations
Gen 1, 2 and 3 all have their own pluses and minuses.
I own a 2017 Gen 3.
It's an all rounder bike. It can do touring, track days as well as light off road.
Always keep an eye on the oil level and you are good.
Use Engine Ice or Motul Motocool coolant for slight improvement in cooling.
If you spend at least 50% of the time in city, add a FuelX module. It helps with low end especially when moving around in the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks