Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2024, 20:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electric or ICE scooter for my father?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I rode the Fascino for a few days in Goa and found the starter motor "hybrid" mechanism irksome. Although it was very comfortable and lightweight, it was very irritating as the motor had a mind of its own when it came to starting up or not. Maybe it was a poorly maintained bad apple, but it did spoil the experience for me. As a result, I didn't even consider it. However, since so many of you suggested it, maybe I should give another chance with a fresh TD piece.
That is a pity I remember a thread coming up recently about Yamaha recalling the Ray and Fascino perhaps it is related to the issue you faced? I personally did not face any such issue when I test ride both few months back. The fact that it weighs just 99kgs and gives 60kmpl while also offering decent acceleration and a taut chassis, sealed the deal for me as I am nearly certain I will be going for a Yamaha Ray soon for myself.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 12:12   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarkhan View Post
For your 70 year old father don’t get anything which don’t comes with ABS and don’t have a crystal clear track record.
I would have to recommended you Ather/TVS iQube/chetak if they come come equipped with ABS.
I am in the same boat as you and waiting for them to release an ABS equipped scooter.

As I am 68, I would like to tell you that us "old boys" don't need all the molly-coddling features that the current generation aspire to. We don't want or need, power steering on small cars, traction control, esp, or any other driver "aids", connectivity etc etc. We come from a generation of "seat of the pants" drivers who want to "feel" exactly what is happening. My pet current hate is combined front and rear brakes on 2 wheelers. It is vitally important to be able to use front and rear brakes independently or in unison, as decided by the rider.
I would never choose to use the front brake at any time other than moving in a straight line. Suicide to brake the front wheel while turning on a wet or dusty road.
I also like to be able to choose the timing and intensity of using the rear brake.
Us "old boys" need the feedback provided by direct connection with the real world, we are still "drivers" not just "passengers" letting an ECU make all of the critical decisions.
ENCAP, abs, esp, air bags etc just give a false sense of safety.
This is demonstrated when a new generation driver tries to drive an old generation car under challenging conditions. They just do not understand the basics of heavy braking, steering and skid control in adverse conditions because they have never experienced it.
If the abs or esp operate in any vehicle I drive I consider it to be a failure in my driving technique. Us "old boys" still use cadence braking, we don't rely on abs, and we use throttle/clutch control instead of esp.
Redex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 08:19   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I think I kind of convinced Dad on an electric scooter (got a reluctant nod - which is as good as a yes ), but then when I checked with Ather, they don't have a single dealership in Mumbai. The closest one is in Vashi and they (obviously) don't have doorstep test drive available in Versova.
I don’t have specific inputs on your shortlist but if this is the only aspect deterring you from Ather can you please recheck. Last that I was aware, Ather had a showroom on Linking Road, Bandra / Khar, which is not unreasonably far from Yari Road. Please do check this again - unless its shut down since I last saw it.

Other than that, for pure comfort and ease of use, I’d recommend the Burgman as a top choice for your dad. It’s got a plush suspension, very comfortable ergos, is peppy enough and very reliable. The best from Suzuki today if you ask me.

Quote:
Also, after reading all the horror stories about Ola, I don't want to go that route.
Good call. I still wouldn’t touch Ola.

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th March 2024 at 08:21.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 10:43   #19
BHPian

I've replaced my dad's Activa with a Burgman. We initially test driven Aether, but the whole subscription and the screen controls put my dad off. He just wanted a simple scooter.

Test driven most of the 125cc scooters out there, but he was sold on to the white Burgman. Supremely comfortable and very refined. Since your dad is 5'8" and well built, Burgman will be very comfortable for him. Pls do a test drive.
Old 30th March 2024, 13:05   #20
BHPian

Instant acceleration offered by the EV scooters can be a little challenging to handle for a 70 yrs old person. I would advise against EV scooter.

What fits perfectly in your requirements for your father is Suzuki Burgman Street. Comfortable, wide body and a good 125cc engine with ample power.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 15:00   #21
BHPian

Why not the new Bajaj Chetak? It is beautiful and classy like the Vespa and the acceleration wont be sharp like other EVs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks