Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2024, 12:11   #1
BHPian

Electric or ICE scooter for my father?

Hi fellow petrolheads,

The question is exactly what's in the title. Which scooter to go for, for my 70 yo father - electric or conventional ICE scooter.

A bit of background:

My father is a general physician and goes to his clinic in Madh Island from Yari Road daily via a short ferry ride (two wheelers go on it). He's currently using a 2014 Vespa VX 125 and refuses to give up on it. However, I fear that the Vespa is on it's last legs and might break down anytime without warning. Also, since it's a 10 yo vehicle, maintenance costs are increasing consistently just to keep it running in good condition.

I think I kind of convinced Dad on an electric scooter (got a reluctant nod - which is as good as a yes ), but then when I checked with Ather, they don't have a single dealership in Mumbai. The closest one is in Vashi and they (obviously) don't have doorstep test drive available in Versova. Also, after reading all the horror stories about Ola, I don't want to go that route.

So here I'm back with the possibility of getting an ICE scooter. Before I get down to the requirements and shortlist, here are a few things that are a strict NO-GO:
  1. I'm not looking for a car, as Dad's daily commute involves a ferry hop. I understand that he'd be more comfortable in a car at his age, but that's ot an option as the cmmute by road is easily 1.5-2 hrs via Malad
  2. He cannot ride a motorcyle anymore, so let's not suggest that (had an accident a long time ago)
  3. He's a sedate rider who hardly ever crosses 50 kmph, so fancy powerful scooters are not something we're looking for (Although I'd have loved an Aerox, but it's not for him)

Now coming to requirements:
  1. Dad is around 5 ft 8 in, and on the heavier side, so need a scooter that will accomodate him comfortably
  2. Ideally open to Electric (read Ather), but as mentioned earlier, there are no dealerships in Mumbai anymore, as well as no service centres. If there is a good chance of Ather opening one in the city, I might consider the 450S or X
  3. If ICE, looking for a fuel efficient scooter. But considering he's coming from a 10yo Vespa, anything would be more fuel efficient
  4. Shouldn't be too heavy for Dad to maneuver and put it on the main stand
  5. Daily commute is around 5km, with occasional runs within suburbs
  6. Looking for something practical since it will also be used for daily errands. So a largish boot and flat footboard are welcome

I had shortlisted a few scooters, but would love your opinion on it based on the above writeup:
  • Ather 450s: Loved both 450s and 450x, but since the commute is low and power is not high on the priority list for Dad, 450s made more sense (until I found out about the dealership situation)
  • Suzuki Burgman: It's quite a comfortable scooter and looks different as well. Tried and tested 125cc engine, connected phone (although won't be used much), front disc, and 21L storage are all great. Apart from that weight might be a concern
  • Suzuki Access: Better alternative to the oh so common Activa, and much of the same features as Burgman, but in a more conventional styling
  • Honda Activa: Oh so common!
  • Ather Rizzta: Should I wait for it? Is the pricing going to be astronomical for it?

Any other I missed?

Last edited by GrandTourer : 7th March 2024 at 13:20.
GrandTourer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 07:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Electric or ICE scooter for my father?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 07:22   #3
BHPian

The TVS iqube and Bajaj Chetak are well made electric scooters backed by strong brands. Plus they have that retro look going for them like the Vespa. Definitely test ride those. The Burgman is a great scooter and you don’t feel the weight as much. The Hero Xoom could be another “maxi”-ish option.
Iyencar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 07:49   #4
BHPian

I would suggest the bounce infinity electric scooter. I hear it has a good chassis and set for slight heavy folks too and I like the wide enough seat and the 2.3 KWH motor good for sedate driving. The battery is removable and therefore easy to take it inside home to charge. And since the motor is 2.3 kWh the pricing is also very affordable and should come within 85000 or 90000 on road along with battery pack. It is built by manufacturers who have experience in the EV scooter rental business in the past and hence they claim they cover all aspects of typical wear and tear and battery upkeep etc. Pls check if you have service possibility near your place.

cs_rajesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 08:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Any other I missed?
Yes, a very pertinent point: If your average running distance is <15 Km a day, then it's not worth getting an EV scooter unless there's loads of cash at disposal {Pls read <5% of your annual income for a start}. Comfortable, yes, Access 125 certainly is, but also requesting to consider the perspective of the other side

Offering a new scooter to your father, from a Child's perspective, is an act of love and affection. However, if the Parent values the sentimental importance of owning a few lifetime possessions, our well-intentioned gesture might be perceived as disrespectful to his cherished belongings & feelings.

Also, when the scooters are loaded into the ferry, hopefully there're no acts of negligence to cause dents & scratches on a new scooter & that's taken care.

Here's a middle path for you to think about {just consider}: Restore the old Vespa to the original pristine
This will be:
a. Lower cost option
b. You meet your objective of getting better life & reliability to the old vehicle
c. Your Father gets to keep his prized possession

Last but not the least, Vespa is the most comfortable scooter & excellent engineering that no Petrol scooter offers in the current market.
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 09:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would say don’t get an electric just yet since the tech still is a generation away from getting perfected, it won’t last a decade and expecting an old person to adapt to something very different from what they are used to, can be tough thus I would recommend sticking with an ICE scooter for your dad and perhaps getting an electric one for yourself.

How about the Yamaha Fascino? It weighs less than most scooters making it by far one of the easiest to ride, and it also gives more mileage than the rest. Do please check it out before dismissing it

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th March 2024 at 09:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 09:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would say don’t get an electric just yet since the tech still is a generation away from getting perfected, it won’t last a decade and expecting an old person to adapt to something very different from what they are used to, can be tough thus I would recommend sticking with an ICE scooter for your dad and perhaps getting an electric one for yourself.

How about the Yamaha Fascino? It weighs less than most scooters making it by far one of the easiest to ride, and it also gives more mileage than the rest. Do please check it out before dismissing it
I've had the exact same question, and went for the Jupiter 125 purely because of the 12 inch wheels, the adjustable suspension and ginormous storage. None of these fit your requirements.

However, my college-going sister-in-law bought a Yamaha Fascino purely because it fits the exact same use case, plus it's beautiful to look at. So far we are getting 58 kmpl with spirited driving. The thing is super light - I think it has a good 10 kgs on the competition. Not to mention that the starter motor, which makes it a mild hybrid, is absolutely perfect for easy maneuvering in heavy traffic. Yamaha's service is about as good as the rest, so overall I would suggest this, or a new Dio if you're dead set on a Honda. But I would also assume that a low and comfortable seat is also a priority, and the Fascino checks those boxes too.
AulusGabinius is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 09:26   #8
BHPian

Let your father TD the scooters you have shortlisted, then take a call.

I bought a TVS Jupiter when I was 55, am 64 now, on the heavier side, after 25k km, just love the ride, because of it's wide seat, 12" both wheels, and gas filled rear shocks. Jupiter 125 is more modern with connected teck and all that funda.
Vinod_nair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 09:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

While well intentioned you've to also consider what seniors are most comfortable with.
Things like muscle memory count and even some basic electronics which aren't really a concern for us become an annoyance for them.
You'll be surprised how a lot of the latest vehicles mess up the basics which matter everyday.

I don't think an EV fits your case:
- Your running doesn't justify it.
- Quite a few of the EV features are touch activated which might be of annoyance to your Dad.

As for ICE scooters, I agree with the "way too many Activas" and there are good alternatives available.
In order of preference :
1. Jupiter 125 : fits the best IMO with step adjustable rear suspension, humongous storage which can take 2 half face helmets, front fuel filler as its major USP
2. Access 125 : good acceleration, fiber body panels make it lighter, check for rear suspension comfort when solo
3. Hero Maestro 110/125 : no experience with this but have heard positive reviews from contacts and Hero is FNG friendly due to easy availability of spares.
4. Yamaha Fascino : had a short test ride, was smooth, comfortable and have heard its efficient

But first, take your Dad for test rides and post all these ask him if would like to change or is happy with the Vespa. His decision should be paramount and final.

Last edited by shancz : 8th March 2024 at 09:51. Reason: rearr
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 10:23   #10
BHPian

Your requirement screams TVS iQube. But, I suggest to let him experience and EV first. These elderly may not adjust well with the dynamics of an EV, as quickly as we do.

Regarding ICE, I believe the Jupiter 125 is the best of the lot.
subie_socal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 12:14   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)
Re: Electric or ICE scooter for my father?

Keep the old fella happy. Rent a scooter and get the Vespa fully restored. 2 wheelers don't get the same usage as cars. The mileage covered is rarely a concern. 2 wheelers are far less complicated with far fewer components than cars. Bikes just last longer than cars. 20 to 30 years is nothing to a well maintained 2 wheeler.
When in India I have a 13 year old Suzuki Access 125 Gen 1, still rides like new (better in fact after fitting lighter variator rollers, unleashed more power, torque and acceleration).
My last 3 bikes were made in 1978, 1998 and 2002 (my current 2 wheeler). The first two were 32 and 24 years old when I sold them (still in perfect condition ). They still ran like new, and never broke down once. Just keep up the simple routine maintenance.
My current bike is a 2002 Yamaha XT 600e. Also still rides like new and has never let me down once.
The secret is to find a good mechanic, who works for the satisfaction of doing a good job, not just for the money. He needs to have a passion.
I do ALL of my own maintenance. My friends who always have to buy the "new" model have endless problems with reliability, often caused by the excessively complicated electronics.
Neil age 68 !!!
Redex is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 13:18   #12
BHPian

For your 70 year old father don’t get anything which don’t comes with ABS and don’t have a crystal clear track record.
I would have to recommended you Ather/TVS iQube/chetak if they come come equipped with ABS.
I am in the same boat as you and waiting for them to release an ABS equipped scooter.
Old 8th March 2024, 16:32   #13
BHPian

As an owner of iQube for the past 1.5 years, I can very well say that iQube is really good. You can read through my review in this link.

As of now, I have done some 56xx kms in the past 18+ months of ownership - which translates to roughly 300+ kms a month.

My dad, who is also 70+, also rides the scooter and is quite convenient with it.

Couple of points though - I have mentioned it in my review as well

1. Weight - Considering that you have mentioned that your dad is on the heavier side, this might not be an issue.
2. Height - My dad is short. Since your dad is 5 ft 8 in tall, this again would not be an issue.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that you do a test ride / ask your dad to ride the scooter a couple of times before finalizing.

Cheers!
callvvijay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 20:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Here's a middle path for you to think about {just consider}: Restore the old Vespa to the original pristine
This will be:
a. Lower cost option
b. You meet your objective of getting better life & reliability to the old vehicle
c. Your Father gets to keep his prized possession

Last but not the least, Vespa is the most comfortable scooter & excellent engineering that no Petrol scooter offers in the current market.
Thanks for this perspective. I had initially thought of restoring the Vespa (getting new parts and fixing the body work), however since I live away, didn't want the old scooter coughing up issues. Wanted the peace of mind of a brand new scooter. But I do get the sentimental value with the Vespa. Maybe I can restore the Vespa irrespective of the new scooter. That way he'll have the reliable new scooter without having to part ways with the Old workhorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Agree with the learning curve of the EV scooter, and the plan was to get the electric scooter while still having the Vespa alongside for a while. But as aargee suggested, maybe restoring the old one is a good option. Also, yes the itch for electric was driven by my heart, not by practicality. I'll park that idea for now.

I rode the Fascino for a few days in Goa and found the starter motor "hybrid" mechanism irksome. Although it was very comfortable and lightweight, it was very irritating as the motor had a mind of its own when it came to starting up or not. Maybe it was a poorly maintained bad apple, but it did spoil the experience for me. As a result, I didn't even consider it. However, since so many of you suggested it, maybe I should give another chance with a fresh TD piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
So far we are getting 58 kmpl with spirited driving. The thing is super light - I think it has a good 10 kgs on the competition.
That is insane for a scooter I should definitely give it a try. If it's giving that good FE, might even beat the EV given the low usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Let your father TD the scooters you have shortlisted, then take a call.

I bought a TVS Jupiter when I was 55, am 64 now, on the heavier side, after 25k km, just love the ride, because of it's wide seat, 12" both wheels, and gas filled rear shocks. Jupiter 125 is more modern with connected teck and all that funda.
Absolutely. Will be doing this soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
In order of preference :
1. Jupiter 125 : fits the best IMO with step adjustable rear suspension, humongous storage which can take 2 half face helmets, front fuel filler as its major USP
2. Access 125 : good acceleration, fiber body panels make it lighter, check for rear suspension comfort when solo
3. Hero Maestro 110/125 : no experience with this but have heard positive reviews from contacts and Hero is FNG friendly due to easy availability of spares.
4. Yamaha Fascino : had a short test ride, was smooth, comfortable and have heard its efficient
I'll add Jupiter and Fascino to the mix and get some TDs lined up. Thanks for the suggestions. Dad didn't like the Maestro styling for some reason.

Quote:
But first, take your Dad for test rides and post all these ask him if would like to change or is happy with the Vespa. His decision should be paramount and final.
Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
Your requirement screams TVS iQube. But, I suggest to let him experience and EV first. These elderly may not adjust well with the dynamics of an EV, as quickly as we do.

Thanks for the suggestion. Both cost much higher for a below par product when compared to Ather or Ola. Also, the Chetak weighs over 130kg and iQube around 120kg as well as provide much smaller under seat storage. So didn't consider either of them.

Thank you all for your perspectives and suggestions. I'll be back after discussing with Dad.
GrandTourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 20:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post

Spot on, but my parents actually disagreed with my choice. My dad (59) thought it didn't have enough people, and the suspension not to his comfort. Also the FE stinks, I'm getting 44 or so.

Last edited by AulusGabinius : 8th March 2024 at 20:56.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks