Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2024, 11:37   #1

What can be done to improve the availability of KTM Spare Parts in India?

Dear TeamBHPians,

Last year, I gave my 2014 KTM 390 Duke, affectionately nicknamed "Mirinda," a complete engine rebuild to ensure its mechanical soundness. However, acquiring spare parts proved to be a major hurdle. Service centers refused to sell parts outside of their workshops, and online retailers either lacked stock or charged exorbitant prices exceeding the MRP.

To overcome this challenge, I adopted a resourceful approach. With the KTM 390 Duke parts catalog on one hand and the Bajaj Spare Parts app on the other, I identified parts readily available from Bajaj that were compatible with my Duke. For the KTM-specific parts, I endured lengthy waiting periods to place orders.

My experience begs the question: What can be done to improve the accessibility of KTM spare parts? Is there a potential business opportunity in streamlining the supply chain and offering competitive pricing, especially considering the long wait times I faced? Perhaps a representative from Bajaj could shed light on the possibility of KTM establishing authorized spare parts outlets similar to Bajaj's extensive network across India.

Cheers!!
pandu1564 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 10:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What can be done to improve the availability of KTM Spare Parts in India?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 11:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandu1564 View Post
Service centers refused to sell parts outside of their workshops
This is unfortunate. I've been to about 5 different KTM service centers around Bangalore and Mysore and I have never been denied parts. I buy most of my parts off the counter.

Quote:
online retailers either lacked stock or charged exorbitant prices exceeding the MRP.
Yes, this issue is very rampant. Someone online is selling an adjustable clutch lever which sells brand new for MRP of Rs 360 and asking Rs 1100 for a refurbished one.

Quote:
To overcome this challenge, I adopted a resourceful approach. With the KTM 390 Duke parts catalog on one hand and the Bajaj Spare Parts app on the other, I identified parts readily available from Bajaj that were compatible with my Duke. For the KTM-specific parts, I endured lengthy waiting periods to place orders.
You can also check 99RPM for bajaj parts online - however the shipping costs are very expensive, especially when you have 10x 10g parts and they want 300+rs for it.

Since you already have the spares catalog, part number starting with JG and JL are common between Bajaj and KTM, there is a good chance of getting the same parts from Bajaj themselves. Part numbers starting with JY are KTM exclusive.

You can also check MRP of all bajaj/KTM parts through OEMShip. They maintain their price list in EUR so multiply by 110 to get the INR value. Some parts are priced 3x or 10x, for example bolts for the rotors are 10x. This is because they come as a pack of 10.
SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 21:11   #4
BHPian

This is a good thread to start. My recently acquired preowned 2017 Duke 390 needs a new plastic fuel tank cover (my OCD simply) because they have a couple of dents and chips due to a couple of falls at standstill by the previous owner. The electric orange isnt available at all!
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 21:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
This is a good thread to start. My recently acquired preowned 2017 Duke 390 needs a new plastic fuel tank cover (my OCD simply) because they have a couple of dents and chips due to a couple of falls at standstill by the previous owner. The electric orange isnt available at all!
That's true, I want a new tank cover for my duke 200 too just for the OCD. Painted parts arent available, they have the unpainted ones in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
This is unfortunate. I've been to about 5 different KTM service centers around Bangalore and Mysore and I have never been denied parts. I buy most of my parts off the counter.
case in point, I visited Khivraj on Kasturbha Road today. I wanted few more parts but they had it in stock in their different outlets. They told me they'll get it to kasturbha road within a week and call me, I can come and collect them. Still, managed to get couple of parts.

What can be done to improve the availability of KTM Spare Parts in India?-sdsd.jpg

These KTM folks are very helpful in providing parts OTC and one of the main reasons why I got a second one. Can never dream of such service with Yamaha, Hero or any others.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 10:12   #6
BHPian

There is nothing that can be done unless strict consumer protection laws are enforced. When a customer is ready to pay but the company is not willing to provide the required good, I don't know what to say except for pure atrocity. That too for a popular model like Duke. Spare part availability is one major reason why I wouldn't outright recommend a new KTM to anyone. I had suffered from parts shortage when I crashed my friend's RC200 BS4, and finally ended up procuring parts from the black market by paying 3x the price.

Even if KTM wants to create an artificial part shortage, they are the bloody losers here as black market guys are happily reaping profits.

TLDR: nothing can be done until strict consumer protection acts are introduced.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 11:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sadly, what was once benign had now turned out to be malignant. The issue is compounded by showroom folks taking matter in their own hands primarily owing to get better margins - a job outside is a job lost and hence they sinisterly use this side of the loophole to hoodwink every guy looking for a spare.

Where I live, they did deny selling me even an O ring stating the manager doesn't allow counter sale. (this is after travelling 80 kms one way to the showroom). Been a while since I've started to source here. This is where Bangalore folks come into play, KTM Kadubeesnahali and especially BTM layout and the sales guy at the BTM spares counter went above and beyond to source my requirements as the part I had asked for out of stock at the showroom. I was asked to wait for an hour -- meanwhile they sent a guy to a parts warehouse and after an hour plus of waiting, an Activa comes fully loaded with parts.

Was simply astounding to say the least, was in the service bay talking to the folks and pretty much everyone was polite and helpful. Since then, I've got hold of a couple of great guys in BLR who help me with the spares availability especially old gen and I get it couriered.

Regarding JG, JL, JY.. KTMs and Bajaj have a mix of all, JG JL and JY, they're all independently yet mutually exclusive. There isn't one catalogue that lists everything as JY JG or JL. It's a jungle out there.

Our laws are loopsided to say the least and simply put
cash is king, customer is bakra.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 23rd March 2024 at 11:57.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 16:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
especially BTM layout and the sales guy at the BTM spares counter went above and beyond to source my requirements as the part I had asked for out of stock at the showroom.
This is surprising! I was denied counter sales by BTM service centre (the service manager told that they’d stopped over the counter sales) around 6-8 months ago. I wanted timing chain and tensioner for my 2013 Duke 200. I have been buying spares from service centres in Bangalore for almost a year and most of them have no issues in selling over the counter. Also, I never found it very hard to source parts. The max that I waited was for 7-10 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks