Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:19   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Centrifugal clutch lining could be worn out. Or could be a worn out V-belt. Mostly these things cause "judder", when taking off/at low speeds, on belt-drive CVTs.
I should have mentioned this at the first go , my access is 5 months old and has done around 500kms and used probably once or twice a week at the maximum. So, i somehow dont believe that clutch lining can get worn out so soon, unless it had a faulty one to begin with. Either way, will have the mechanic sit with me for the next service which is due very shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezpo View Post
I had the same issue, force the mechanic to test ride it along with me.
It was found that noise was from front number plate and they loosened some tight suspension (??) or something like that.

Haven't faced the issue again, from that day onwards.
Talk to your mechanic/supervisor.
thank you, I plan to do the same when I give the vehicle for service this month.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd February 2012 at 13:56.
dass is online now   Received Infraction
Old 6th February 2012, 08:38   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Have been hearing this judder like noise very recently(maybe past 3-4 months), has this anything to do with the age of the scooter? Anyways I will be checking with the workshop as my Activa will go for the scheduled service this week end, will be asking the SA to check the V belt/clutch specifically.
Got my Activa serviced last weekend and also highlighted the judder issue. The technician on his test drive agreed that there was noise heard but acco to him it was from the front suspension bushing and all it needed was some lubrication. Although I did not buy this explanation, I did find the noise to be gone when I test drove it after servicing. Will keep a tab on the same.
A list of issues were mentioned:
1) Scratch at the front of Activa, SA claims it was there before servicing. Had a heaty argument, brought it to the notice of the dealer who happens to know me personally. Will be done in the next scheduled visit.
2) The side stand spring which was replaced last time - I felt this was not the original spring which came with Activa. But I was shown the spare side stand parts and the spring seemed to be the same. Also the new Activa's come with the puny spring. Is this localization effects?
3) Wobbling side stand - It seems that the side stand support was bent acco to SA and needs complete replacement. Cost 210/-, Will get it gone next time.
4) Rusting on the exhaust, side stand, main stands - Painting done on the same but dont know how long will it hold.
Also got the 3M underbody coating checks done. The usual marketing options from Honda - 335/- per visit or 650/- for 3 visits per year for Teflon coating, Decarbonization - 300/-. Is this at par in other cities?
Old 28th February 2012, 20:12   #1908
BHPian

I have been riding gearless scoots for tens of years, and currently ride a Bajaj Wave. Due to physical limitations I am unable to use the right (front) brake at all, and hence have been dependent on the left (rear) brake only for all these years. When I learnt of the combi brake on the new hondas, it felt like my longstanding wish has been granted! Now, the only point I need help with is to go for the Aviator or the Activa, height isn't an issue since I am tall (and at times high!) enough, but being on the wrong side of forty, I want to know which of the two offers a more comfortable and ergonomic seat. Also, can the combi brake be adjusted to transfer more braking effort to the front wheel? Does Suzuki plan to come out with combi brakes?
Old 28th February 2012, 20:32   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
...but being on the wrong side of forty, I want to know which of the two offers a more comfortable and ergonomic seat. Also, can the combi brake be adjusted to transfer more braking effort to the front wheel? Does Suzuki plan to come out with combi brakes?
Seat on both Activa and Aviator are alright. But the Aviator scores with the better suspension set up and hence lesser fatigue during the ride. And i think it should be possible to adjust the CBS as per the requirement. So my pick of the 2 would be the Aviator. It also has a 12 inch front wheel compared to the 10 incher of Activa which would aid in a comfy ride. No news from Suzuki about CBS so far!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 20:45   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Seat on both Activa and Aviator are alright. But the Aviator scores with the better suspension set up and hence lesser fatigue during the ride. And i think it should be possible to adjust the CBS as per the requirement. So my pick of the 2 would be the Aviator. It also has a 12 inch front wheel compared to the 10 incher of Activa which would aid in a comfy ride. No news from Suzuki about CBS so far!
Thanks abhinav. Since the Aviator comes with optional alloy wheels, can one fit tubeless tyres?
Old 28th February 2012, 20:46   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Now, the only point I need help with is to go for the Aviator or the Activa, height isn't an issue since I am tall (and at times high!) enough, but being on the wrong side of forty, I want to know which of the two offers a more comfortable and ergonomic seat. Also, can the combi brake be adjusted to transfer more braking effort to the front wheel?
Sir,
With my extensive riding experience with the new Honda Activa,I can confidently state that the "Combi Brake" system works well[Found this out while I was cornering and used the rear brake(as I do on my Dio to control momentum) and the front brake got applied]
The seats on the activa are at least a hundred times well cushioned than my Dio and you can actually use the handle to it's full effect,even as your feet are on the foot-rest,unlike in my Dio.
Ergonomics are good.
It's good and stable on crossing speed breakers too.
It's very smooth and relaxing to ride and does not feel unrefined at any speed(>60Km/H).
Had done close to 40km on the Activa in one go and I just had shoulder pain!
No bum-numbness and wrist pain to accompany the above mentioned effect.
@the emboldened bit-I think that the combo valve that is connected to the brake lever,master cylinder and booster assembly can be adjusted so that the front gets more punch than the rear.
If the valve cannot be modified,you can jugaad the front brakes by tightening them more than the rear brakes(ensuring that this does not interfere with the free rotation of the front wheel,of course).

Last edited by Patriot_Vishwas : 28th February 2012 at 20:51.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 20:53   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Sir,
@the emboldened bit-I think that the combo valve that is connected to the brake lever,master cylinder and booster assembly can be adjusted so that the front gets more punch than the rear.
Thanks vishwas. Does that mean the Activa has hydraulic brakes?
Old 28th February 2012, 21:01   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks abhinav. Since the Aviator comes with optional alloy wheels, can one fit tubeless tyres?
You can fit tubeless tires on the Activa too(they do not have spoked wheels)
The new Dio has tubeless tires and given the fact that both these (Dio and Activa) have same sized wheels,the tubeless tires should be a direct fit.
Quote:
I'd think so as mechanical ones don't make that much sense.
Edit-^^Adding to the above,this explanation tells us that the combi brake technology is found on vehicles equipped with hydraulic brakes.

Last edited by Patriot_Vishwas : 28th February 2012 at 21:15.
Old 29th February 2012, 08:06   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Also, can the combi brake be adjusted to transfer more braking effort to the front wheel? Does Suzuki plan to come out with combi brakes?
The combi brakes works more than perfectly in an Activa, So my suggestion is to not to tweak them. The brakes get applied equally on both the wheels. But the Activa fails on the suspension part the ride quality is not great, Aviator scores here with the telescopic suspensions. Suzuki does not have any scooters with combi brakes not even in the new Swish which is yet to be launched but showcased in the Auto Expo.
Old 15th March 2012, 14:21   #1915
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to buy a DIO for my wife/misc local use. I prefer this just because of its shape and mileage. What are the other brand worth to consider? Kindly advise guys.

Last edited by coolclouds : 15th March 2012 at 14:23.
Old 15th March 2012, 15:59   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am looking to buy a DIO for my wife/misc local use. I prefer this just because of its shape and mileage. What are the other brand worth to consider? Kindly advise guys.
Are you referring to the new shaped Dio? Coz the new shape looks bulkier and not to my liking at least. The earlier one looked sharp and chiseled. What mileage are you thinking that the Dio will return? We had a Dio for one year. It was returning around 32-35kmpl in Bangalore traffic.

In terms of other scooters, get your wife to try out the Wego and Access to see if she is comfortable with the weight/height. Both these are better than Dio as they have telescopic front suspension which is less tiring to ride on pot holed roads and also offer a tad better control over the scooter.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 16:10   #1917
Senior - BHPian

I haven't seen a new Dio so far :(

I was looking for a used Dio in Sulekha.com where 2010 models were quoting around 40K. Later I realized that the prices and waiting period for a new one is much lower than what I expected!

What is the waiting period for Access and Wego? My wife is 5' 1" and thin hence looking for something easy to handle (She is comfortable with cousin's Scooty Pep but felt little under powered)
Old 15th March 2012, 17:54   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
In addition to the larger wheels, the Aviator comes with telescopic front suspension which is waaaay superior to the linkage type in the Activa.

The front brakes, IIRC are standard drum and optional disc. If you go for the disk brake option, then you will have front hydraulic and rear mechanical.

You should be able to fit tubeless tires, but please check with a tyrewalla. If not, you can buy a tubeless tire (for its quality, safety and grip) and put a tube in it. There are some great tire options from Michelin but are not widely available.

All it all, its one superb scooter. I say go for it !!

Last edited by Mpower : 15th March 2012 at 17:57.
Old 15th March 2012, 17:55   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
What is the waiting period for Access and Wego? My wife is 5' 1" and thin hence looking for something easy to handle (She is comfortable with cousin's Scooty Pep but felt little under powered)
Prices of used Dios are sky high!! Better to buy new rather than used.
I am not sure of Access, but Wego is available with a waiting period of 1 week depending on the color. Sometimes it is available off the shelf too. If she was comfortable with Scooty Pep, then wego might also be ok for her. The main difference is 12 inch wheels on the Wego while Pep has 10 inch wheels. So there might be some height difference and reach issues.

Power wise, Access is the best as it has 125cc engine with loads of torque for easy pulling. Next to it is Wego/Activa/Dio with similar powered engine. The only factor differentiating them would be with regards to the wheel size, ride comfort, suspension etc.
Old 15th March 2012, 18:39   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been riding gearless scoots for tens of years, and currently ride a Bajaj Wave....
I have been riding a aviator for the last three years. It is the first generation Aviator that has a 100cc engine and NO combi braking system. So I cannot comment on the braking department.

As far riding comfort goes Aviator is by far one of the best scooters I have ever driven. It stays planted to the roads even at speeds beyond 75Kmph. The tall riding stance helps you to have a command over the road ahead. The good things about the bike end here.

Now coming the ownership experience, I have never been happy with the bike right from the first service during which Honda Service center guys broke my Lock and gave me different pair of locks as replacement. As in I have to carry two keys with me to ride and access the underseat storage compartment.

Further I have been experiencing frequent fuel leaks in the bike. Once I had fully topped the tank with more than five liters of Petrol and headed on the Highway on a bright sunny afternoon. Within a span of 1 kilometer the entire 5+ liters of fuel leaked on the road posing serious fire hazard and panic among fellow road users.

The problem was the carb said a local mechanic.He worked on it and it was alright for a while. However I encountered serious starting problem every morning because of the problem in the fuel line.

On several instances while riding it on the highway, the fuel line would suddenly clog and the bike would stall. And after repeated kicks the bike would start run again.

Very recently, I encountered the same fuel leak saga of 6 liters in 2 minutes. This time I had luckily found a experienced Mechanic who gave me a logical answer to the problem. However it was shocking indeed.

He zeroed in on the problem to RUST in the fuel tank. So whenever I tank up the rust on the upper surface of the tank gets disturbed and gets clogged in the fuel line and carb.

I found this explanation very convincing because I usually never fill more than 2 liters of petrol in one instance. However Since I did not carry cash on that particular day, I tanked up using my Card. And that was the recipe for disaster.

Now, I would like to use this same post to seek your opinion whether I should replace my tank as suggested by the Mechanic. Or is there any other way out? Moreover is it normal for a 1~2 year old bike to develop rust so quickly on the tank? Isn't there a filter mechanism in the aviator that prevents the rust from getting into the fuel line? Also It would be great to know the indicative cost of replacement of the tank.

PS: The mileage I have been getting on the bike is between 25 and 30 Kmpl.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 15th March 2012 at 18:41.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks