Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2008, 16:59   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Pavan Kadam for starting this thread. Now I can tell you everything about the 2 Lunas that I had ("had" because my father had purchased them for me).

My first Luna - MMA4081 - 1974 model - I was in my second year engineering - my college was 25 kms from my house and I used it to travel to college. I remember to have purchased it from a shop in Sion (there is a tailor there now). The price was Rs2002/- but we had added accessories like leg guard etc so we paid Rs2348/-. I fitted a battery inside the side box and had mounted signal lights. The battery had to be given for charging to my batterywallah every week as there was no on-board charging. I used it for 2 years and then sold it in 1976 for Rs500/-. I have a black and white photograph lying around somewhere, let me see if I can find it. I will scan and circulate.

My second Luna - MMM936 - 1983 model - purchased in 1983 from Dadajee Dhakjee Worli dealer of Luna for Rs4500/-. It was known as the Luna TFR+ (TFR stood for Telescopic Front and Rear - that's suspension !). I got it in a dark green colour with cream mudguards as there were chrome mudguards which were known to rust. It was a single seater. I mounted a side box on the rear extension, again put a battery inside it and mounted signal lights and a loooooong radio antenna at the back. Now read this, you will be shocked - I had made a unique feature in it - I had fabricated 2 nos of compressed air tanks from old oil filter bodies of TATA trucks, painted them black, mounted them on both sides behind the seat, brazed a brass tyre valve and connected a TATA truck's air horn (the trumpet type) with the mechanical valve type switch which the truckers use below the seat. I used to go to any petrol pump, fill the tanks with 100 psi compressed air from the tyre air filling pipe and use the blaring truck horn. People would move to see a Luna go by. It was hilarious. I had TVS50 moped stickers on it and a plate above the rear number plate which read - "MY OTHER BIKE IS A HONDA". I took it in the Bhusawal Passenger to Nasik where I was working as a junior engineer in M&M R&D at that time. I sold it in November 1984 for Rs2000/-, 2 months after I got my brand new spanking blue Ind Suzuki, one of the first indo-jap bikes ever to be delivered in India. Guess what - I still have the Ind Suzuki. It will never be sold. But that's another story.

And yes - both Lunas had pedals, you were supposed to press a button in the rear wheel to disconect the belt drive and you could use it as a bicycle, although it was difficult to pedal. And I used to make the tank full in Nasik for Rs20/-.

Crazy but fun - those days will never come back - Sigh !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th January 2008, 18:36   #32
BHPian

Air Horn on a Luna!

Now i've seen everything.

Behram sir, this is a great little story, and imagining it makes me roll around with laughter.

Superavi

P.S. We have an old TVS Suzuki Supra with 9.65 BHP still with us. Manufactured in 1988, the old lady is now 20 years with us.
Old 24th January 2008, 23:14   #33
BHPian

which bike was used in Andaz Apna Apna..? was it Mofa?

p.s, i still have my uncle's Luna at my friends garage.... parts are not aviable . so its rust in pieces.
Old 25th January 2008, 10:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
fill the tanks with 100 psi compressed air from the tyre air filling pipe and use the blaring truck horn. People would move to see a Luna go by.
100 psi in oil filter bodies HOLY COW. You definitely had some courage, that's for sure.
Old 25th January 2008, 14:55   #35
BANNED

Ananth All spares for Luna is available in Bangalore.

See mine, i've literaly sourced every damn thing new.

My Luna runs like new
Old 23rd March 2008, 07:59   #36
BHPian

I remember having ridden my aunt's green Luna of the 70s vintage, it had a rigid rear end with only the seat providing any cushioning.
The wheels were taller than than the later generation bikes.
Old 4th April 2008, 16:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Had Luna TFR in 85. Was first automobile that I could lay me hand on, was fun to ride at that time. Used to ride all around Satna (small town in MP) on that.
Old 18th March 2009, 14:35   #38
BANNED

One year after restoration.

500 kms covered, just completed the initial run in

No complaints, one burnt spark plug replaced, one tail light bulb replaced and an average fuel effeciency of 52 kmpl

Some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Kinetic Luna-dsc05807.jpg  

Old 18th March 2009, 21:47   #39
BHPian

Pavan completed runnin so soon

Try getting small plates on the luna these are thad bigger doesn't suit (gel) well to the moped.
Old 9th July 2009, 20:12   #40
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Missed this thread completely!! Thanks for sharing Pavan.

My first bike was exactly the same bike you have, except in dark blue colour. My dad gifted me the bike after I passed my 10th exams, and I immediately got myself a gearless vehicle license (16yrs in Blr). Used it for a good 1.5yrs and had some awesome fun with it. College, tution classes, addas, pubs, chicks...maaan what memories!! My bike was nicknamed 'Road Ripper' as I had these loud stickers on both sides which I picked up from a roadside sticker fellow on brigade road those days.

The main competitor for the luna used to be the little more sprightly TVS50, but the luna used to thrash it in the top end I too want to pick up one of these and restore it to factory condition someday.

Pavan...can you please post more outdoor pics of your luna? Thanks. Found this on the net:
Attached Thumbnails
Kinetic Luna-snv11203.jpg  

Last edited by NIP : 9th July 2009 at 20:15. Reason: request
Old 9th July 2009, 20:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

even i learnt riding on a LUNA.
CHAL MERI LUNA
Old 9th July 2009, 20:39   #42
BHPian

dude this one is pure classic, my dad used own one when i was a kid, but sold off and he got upgraded to TVS Camp . but i a had spent considerable amount of time in my Luna and its pure pleasure to see that some one has got the heart to pump it out back to life.

Awesome
Old 9th July 2009, 21:11   #43
BANNED

Oh this thread is alive again.

Will post some more recent pics soon.
Old 10th July 2009, 09:16   #44
BHPian

Pavan, even though i didn't own a Luna, was pretty nice seeing people riding it with cool heads slowly on this cute ride. After seeing this thread you remembered me of old Kannada line, Luna mele nanna Maina...

Last edited by ramki067 : 10th July 2009 at 09:19.
Old 10th July 2009, 09:28   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Pavan, even though i didn't own a Luna, was pretty nice seeing people riding it with cool heads slowly on this cute ride. After seeing this thread you remembered me of old Kannada line, Luna mele nanna Maina...

You want one...?

There's one good running piece without papers(You dont need papers seriously)

Let me know if you need, 2k off your wallet you get it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks