Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2008, 20:31   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Sad, Why are we rejoicing because of the news about ANOTHER 150cc moped ?
150 cc moped? Let me remind you kind sir that our roads are nowhere close to the roads that litre bikes are built for. I think its the right direction that bike manufacturers are going in. 150 cc should be staple for the indian public. You MAY be a good rider but can you vouch for everyone else on the road. Accidents do happen with or without powerful bikes but atleast its lesser. 22 bhp is a BIG deal for a 150 cc.

Quote:
May be they will have a full fairing and huge tyres just for the wannabe racerboy looks... pathetic..
The tyres on the R15 ain't big. They have a completely different profile and good if those tyres come to india. Its a start.

Quote:
Now, if only we get the same with that 22bhp under 5000 rpm on a dirt/supermotard frame, that could be SOME little fun...
Keep dreaming Valentino Renamo.
Old 24th January 2008, 22:07   #17
BHPian

So its a 125cc with a GSX-R sticker this is funny. Its not a "GIXXER" guys. Its just a 125cc motor with fancy stickers and body plastics etc.!
Old 24th January 2008, 22:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
So its a 125cc with a GSX-R sticker this is funny. Its not a "GIXXER" guys. Its just a 125cc motor with fancy stickers and body plastics etc.!
Same story as the CBR.
Old 25th January 2008, 23:51   #19
BHPian

These are track machines meant for a very specific purpose. I wouldnt expect those who laugh at these machines to understand, they've clearly never been on a race track and have not seen what these machines are capable of.
Old 26th January 2008, 00:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
These are track machines meant for a very specific purpose. I wouldnt expect those who laugh at these machines to understand, they've clearly never been on a race track and have not seen what these machines are capable of.
I'll take your word for it. At the same time however I badly wish we should've had these motorcycles for a while now. Well...better late than never I guess. These are however not marketed as track bikes or super capable machines elsewhere hence my "shoulder shrug". I don't doubt they'll be better than the rest of the motorcycles in the 125cc club.
Old 26th January 2008, 03:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCockroach View Post
150 cc moped? Let me remind you kind sir that our roads are nowhere close to the roads that litre bikes are built for. I think its the right direction that bike manufacturers are going in. 150 cc should be staple for the indian public. You MAY be a good rider but can you vouch for everyone else on the road. Accidents do happen with or without powerful bikes but atleast its lesser. 22 bhp is a BIG deal for a 150 cc.
By that logic we should all be riding bicycles till now.
Old 26th January 2008, 10:04   #22
BANNED

I heard from the dealer at chennai ,swapna enterprises that suzuki is indeed coming out with a 150cc bike
Old 28th January 2008, 13:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Killer dude, These may be good track bike? I am sure these will be the best among the current crap of indian bikes. And I am sure it has great handling for TRACK. Where it will lack is the top end hit normally associated with 4st race bikes.

I will still laugh at these machines, because even though I do not race, I have ridden enough on proper racing track.

Now, if a big bore is possible on this, I may change my mind on this bike.

BUT, how many riders are going to ride it on a track? jeez, for that matter, how many tracks are there, I am sure you know the answers to both.

Are yamaha introducing/marketing this bike as a track "tool" ? hell no, because they also know that the percentage of people on that side is too small to do good business.

For the people who advocates / suggests that 150CC is the best for indian roads, c'mon guys grow up, see the bigger picture.
For our public roads, the best would be funduro type chassis with a torquey engine at lower rpm..
Currently very few who have access to imported supermotard bikes, the day an average rider pull a leg over one of them, then they will be "unplugged" and will want one for sure, until that day, they will be happy with another 150CC plasic toys with marketing nonsense.

I hope that this bike is a success, since that may force other manufacturers to rethink their strategy, thus improving the choices.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo View Post
Where it will lack is the top end hit normally associated with 4st race bikes.
It will have admirable top end for a 150cc single cylinder 4st. 4st race bikes lack top end hit? where did you hear that?

Quote:
I will still laugh at these machines, because even though I do not race, I have ridden enough on proper racing track.
Really? tell me more about it...just curious to hear from another track rider. Where have you ridden? on what bikes? Any lap times to share? I ask because even the most hardened skeptics who have been to our race tracks and seen these 150cc machines in action have a new found respect for them. The eye opening usually happens when you're on a machine with twice the horse power and these little babies whizz by and dissapear. I'd be willing to bet that has never happened to you. Rider skill? yes to some extent, but a lot of it comes from the bike and the whole package, just having power doesnt mean much.

Quote:
BUT, how many riders are going to ride it on a track? jeez, for that matter, how many tracks are there, I am sure you know the answers to both.

Are yamaha introducing/marketing this bike as a track "tool" ? hell no, because they also know that the percentage of people on that side is too small to do good business.
This bike first landed on the Chennai race track where it was tested for racing this year. The same videos from the chennai test where played on a large screen at the auto expo during the bikes launch. Yamaha have catergorically stated they will no longer be concentrating on the commuter market but on niche performance oriented products. You tell me what they are marketing it as? Superbikes are track tools too, doesnt mean every rider who buys one needs to land up on track now does it?

Quote:
For the people who advocates / suggests that 150CC is the best for indian roads, c'mon guys grow up, see the bigger picture.
For our public roads, the best would be funduro type chassis with a torquey engine at lower rpm..
Currently very few who have access to imported supermotard bikes, the day an average rider pull a leg over one of them, then they will be "unplugged" and will want one for sure, until that day, they will be happy with another 150CC plasic toys with marketing nonsense.
You made your funduro point already. It might have been better recieved if you hadn't put it across as the best and only option that makes sense. Different people ride in different places and like different things.

Quote:
I hope that this bike is a success, since that may force other manufacturers to rethink their strategy, thus improving the choices.
That is one point i fully agree on

Last edited by Killer : 28th January 2008 at 17:07.
Old 28th January 2008, 17:20   #25
BHPian

Killer dude, What I mean is 4st race bikes (non indian ones, normally big CC ones) will have a very good top end hit, that this small CC bike will be missing in comparison.. I know its not a fair comparison, but for me anything 4st has be above 250, my choice.

As to my track exp, I hv ridden in Combi on a Rxz, RD & and R1 (R1 was not mine), and few other indian 4st bikes.. now dont ask me what lap times.. I am a very bad rider, and wants to improve..

Lets not compare what a 150 can do in the hands of a racer and an average street rider.. again thats not fair comparison..

Niche and performance oriented and 150CC doesnt add up mate.. atleast according to me.. different trips for diff people, wouldn't you agree?

Abt funduro being only option, read my post again, I said if a big bore is possible....!!!! and I am hoping and waiting for Kawa 250 or ktm, to buy for myself as my first import.. unless anything else came along under 3-4L..
Old 28th January 2008, 20:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo View Post
now dont ask me what lap times.. I am a very bad rider, and wants to improve..
Thanks, i thought so.

Quote:
Lets not compare what a 150 can do in the hands of a racer and an average street rider.. again thats not fair comparison..
I never did, read my post again. To quote myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer
Rider skill? yes to some extent, but a lot of it comes from the bike and the whole package, just having power doesnt mean much.
My point was the 150's are more potent on track than you think and in a good overall package they would be even better. Certainly not something to laugh at, in fact that 'statement' should be laughed at

Quote:
Niche and performance oriented and 150CC doesnt add up mate.. atleast according to me
Which isnt suprising, you said it yourself, you havent exactly experienced riding a 150cc at the peak of its performance, its not easy to do but that makes it more fun. To say a 150cc machine cannot be a performance machine would be incorrect.

Quote:
.. different trips for diff people, wouldn't you agree?
Yes i believe i said the same thing too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer
Different people ride in different places and like different things
PS: OT but if you've ridden the above bikes at coimbatore, chances are our paths have crossed. Do i know you?

Last edited by Killer : 28th January 2008 at 20:34.
Old 28th January 2008, 20:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Killer: While I agree that smaller & lighter bikes are faster & more fun to ride at tracks, at the same time I am worried about the in city, on road performance of these bikes.

I mean I like bikes which have power right at the lower revs(No I am not talking about bullets ) I mean as of now I am expecting these bikes to produce high power\torque figures at relatively higher rpms(I hope I am wrong) since the cc is less (wrt to the alleged power).

So while I welcome this move by Suzuki & Yamaha I seriously hope that the powerband on these bikes is usable for city rides as well & not just track friendly.

I hope you understand what I mean
Old 28th January 2008, 22:31   #28
BHPian

yup i understand, so i will also say, if my requirement is cruising the streets / touring i'd look for something else that doesnt focus on high rpm power. I wouldn't laugh at a purpose built 150cc sport bike and claim it cant perform coz its only 150cc. Hope my point is clear

Last edited by Killer : 28th January 2008 at 22:33.
Old 29th January 2008, 00:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Interesting discussion. As far as race track supremacy, its really depends on the nature of the track. Tight track the 125 will have an edge due to the modern chassis handling.

Track with big long straights, horsepower and cc s will rule.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

@Killer: Yes its clear also I for one is not at all laughing off the bikes for their low cc. Over the years I have realized that there is much more to a bike than mere cc & Bhp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks