Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 23:14   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
also use the higher grade oil except in peak winters, as its got lesser viscosity than the lower grade 20w40 and will give a good engine service! as we know the viscosity changes due to temperatures!
for peak winters you can go for 15W-40
the basic thumb rule is for cold temperatures the value preceding the "W" should decrease

it some times gets upto 1degree to 5 degree in Tamil Nadu (Ooty)

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 29th February 2008 at 23:27.
Old 29th February 2008, 23:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Its the viscosity of the oil. In 20W-40, the '40' is the viscosity.
to be very precise they are known as Viscosity grades (SAE's designation)
Old 1st March 2008, 16:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
for peak winters you can go for 15W-40
the basic thumb rule is for cold temperatures the value preceding the "W" should decrease

it some times gets upto 1degree to 5 degree in Tamil Nadu (Ooty)
yes you can also go for 5w50 or 10w40 and read the specifications mentioned and match them and use them.
Old 24th March 2008, 23:22   #34
BHPian

Yes,the recommended grade for Unicorn is 20/40 but any engine using 20/40 will run comfortably on 20/50,may be even better.But it is not a must and ,mind you,the Unicorn is never rough -simply because it's a HONDA.I own a Corn for the last 3 years and I think the letdown is that it is underpowered or undrtorqued,rather ,at low speeds.Honda is playing the part of highway robber as it has not provided even parklights on a 150cc machine.Now ,the new version looks like a cheap Korean 100cc bike rather than a japanese beauty.Honda should take lessons from Bajaj in the areas of styling and value for money.Still,we purchase it because it is as reliable as sun and still the smoothest bike in the country.
Old 25th March 2008, 09:44   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Yes,the recommended grade for Unicorn is 20/40 but any engine using 20/40 will run comfortably on 20/50,may be even better.But it is not a must and ,mind you,the Unicorn is never rough -simply because it's a HONDA.I own a Corn for the last 3 years and I think the letdown is that it is underpowered or undrtorqued,rather ,at low speeds.Honda is playing the part of highway robber as it has not provided even parklights on a 150cc machine.Now ,the new version looks like a cheap Korean 100cc bike rather than a japanese beauty.Honda should take lessons from Bajaj in the areas of styling and value for money.Still,we purchase it because it is as reliable as sun and still the smoothest bike in the country.
Yep, I agree wholeheartedly! How I wish Honda can come up with more smart styling!
Old 25th March 2008, 14:23   #36
BHPian

Taken from a wiki site (Link)

OEM Oil
Honda does not own an oil refinery. Nor does Harley-Davidson, BMW, or any of the other motorcycle manufactures. The motor oil sold under their brand names is produced by an oil company, which makes lots of motor oil.
Considering the volume of oil that is sold as OEM, it's reasonable to assume that the oil in OEM bottles, is the same as the oil sold in other bottles. It would be cost prohibitive to develop, manufacture and package a motor oil formulation to be used exclusively as an OEM motor oil.
So, OEM motor oils are no better and no worse than other motor oils available on the market. The advantage of OEM motor oils is that you can be confident they are appropriate for your motorcycle. You can bet your bottom dollar that Honda, for example, won't be selling a Honda motorcycle motor oil that damages Honda motorcycles.
On the other hand, OEM motor oils tend to be more expensive. Does eliminating the guess-work in selecting a motor oil justify the additional cost? That's up to you.
Old 25th March 2008, 15:20   #37
BHPian

I own a Unicorn!! tis been 2 years and 'm loving it I've nothing to complain against it since it meets my expectations; I get power 'on demand' and the uni never fails me in this department. The only let down is the rear tyre ('guess tis MRF) and I lose confidence on wet roads and on roads with lose sand! I usually do 80kmph bursts on certain stretches of Chennai roads and 've never felt any palm numbing vibrations; you can hear the deep low bass of the Honda engine at such speeds!

So far 've spent only on battery, and the front wheel bent due to my reckless speeds over potholes :( I change oil exactly at 3000 kms and immediately you can feel the engine as smooth as new! Good job Honda!

If I were to buy a bike in the 150cc segment I will definitely go for the unicorn. But one can also wait for the Yamaha 150cc (or 165cc?!?) supposed to hit the market during the month of September.
Old 25th March 2008, 15:25   #38
BHPian

I have been riding since 12 years & I m using my unicorn since 2 years,
i have done 25k kms in two years.
Its a brilliant bike to commute in city.
no flaws at all. You may find the monoshock a lil hard at times but it helps a lot when with a pillion.
Old 13th May 2008, 22:24   #39
priyank

So guys THE NEW HONDA UNICORN, is finally here with no new features, but a simple facelift.

The noticeable feature improvements are as follows :

The all black sillencer
The new sporty gear stick
The modified speedo
The catchy graphics

The changes are miniscule, but good for change sake, but i personally expected them to do more justice with the change undertaken on the bike

Guys do please pool in your comments on this for further discussion..

Old 14th May 2008, 12:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

@priyank: Can you tell where you got to see the new sporty gear stick and the new speedo ? I checked out the HMSI website and I could only spot the all black silencer and the new graphics.

This does not deserve to be called a facelift and am totally disappointed to say the least. The graphics look shoddy and looks like HMSI does not even want to give the old wine in a new bottle. Overall, the job looks quite perfunctory.

What I would have expected is:
1. A new pair of rear view mirrors. The old ones are hopeless and dont serve the purpose.
2. A new powerful and effective horn in the like of the Pulsar. Unicorn owners know what the horn sounds like today.
3. A digital speedo to keep pace with the competition.

Last edited by rr_zen : 14th May 2008 at 12:09.
Old 14th May 2008, 23:34   #41
priyank

Hey dude,

I do agree that the work is perfunctory and done without much investment.

But yes, there sure is a change in the gear stick as it is like in the apache rtr now, as for the speedo, i guess digital is unreliable, cause after all this machine is not a car, which is devoid of many jerks unlike a bike.

I guess that is the reason for not having included the digital speedo,

With regard to the horn, i feel it is not recommended to install a pulsar type horn, as it drains the battery very fast.

Old 14th May 2008, 23:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyank View Post
With regard to the horn, i feel it is not recommended to install a pulsar type horn, as it drains the battery very fast.
No, it wouldn't drain the battery, Unless one doesn't install a cutout/Relay or installs heavy duty car horns like Hella.

Personally i like the analogue speedo.
Cars have digital displays, but they still have a major analogue display in the panel, But then, I don't think the digital reading is very off track, so much that it is not installed my Honda, Unicorn is supposed to be a commuter bike unlike the ones it being compared with.
Old 25th May 2008, 00:28   #43
BHPian

Pal, i own a unicorn for the last 4 years and i must say that it lives up to the legendary honda quality-smooth and reliable engine. After 30000kms on odo, the engine has not missed a single beat till this date and even the valve clearence settings needed no adjustments. and it's returning an actual mileage of 68kms/litre. I swear. (provided your driving style is good and speed beneath 60kmh. Off courseCorn lacks the beauty and frills of the Pulsar but remember-Pulsar is a Bajaj and Corn is a HONDA. That counts, isn't it? In my experience the only problem area is vibrating body panels.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th May 2008 at 00:34. Reason: Post edited. Please use spaces after punctuation marks.
Old 25th May 2008, 13:06   #44
BANNED

I have owned the new Honda Unicorn sports for almost an year now and have to say that it's a wonderful machine. I just fell for the ride and handling when I test drove it. I TD'ed the Uni, CBZ extreme and Pulsar before deciding on the Uni.
It has as smooth a ride as you can imagine and the control is awesome. The monoshoks carries you over the smaller potholes like butter. I also like the low rumbling sound when revved and the looks are good enough if not top of the line. The power surge is not as much as pulsar but it can hold itself decently when challenged. All said it's worth just for the engines sake- a robust and reliable piece of iron.
The rear MRF Zigma tyres are great for dry roads but have to be careful on wet ones as they loose traction quite easily.
Old 26th May 2008, 22:06   #45
priyank

The new HONDA UNICORN, thats all black definitely rocks guys, it is a macho and a piece of workmanship.

It definitely is the best.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks