Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2008, 12:15   #1
BHPian

DIY servicing - bikes

I started this thread to learn about various DIY stuff on bikes like changing the engine oil, replacing air, oil and fuel filters, reading a spark plug, etc., - mainly topics related to the engine and drivetrain. So, post all that you know about these topics and more.

Let me start off with an article on reading your spark plugs.

Spark Plug Diagnosis

Motorcycle Sparkplug Maintenace Guide - Motorcycle Maintenance Guide

Now, here is my bike's spark plug after about 12kms of riding at 8.30am, with the last 2-3kms above 6k RPM. I removed the spark plug using a no. 16 double open-end spanner.

DIY servicing - bikes-ssa42055.jpg

DIY servicing - bikes-ssa42053.jpg

Plug gap
DIY servicing - bikes-ssa42054.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the bike is running lean or rich? The electrode was completely dry but I suspect that the spark plug gap is in excess. Bike has done 11k kms and the plugs have not been replaced even once.

P.S.: Bike a P150 DTSi. All pics are of the same plug.
Old 9th June 2008, 13:48   #2
BHPian

Mikuni BS series carb

Here is an article on how to adjust the air screw on the Mikuni BS carbs. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tml#post594621
Old 12th June 2008, 13:21   #3
BHPian

the bike is running on the richer side...if it were lean, the indicator would have been light brown/"khakhi"ish in colour.
cheers
Old 12th June 2008, 13:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Guys anyone trying to do any repairs on your bike please be carefull.
8 stitches on my finger.
The spanner slipped as I was draining the engine oil.

Blood mixed with old engine oil is not very good to look at.
and when the Doctor decides the best way to treat it is pour a lot of tincture on it.
priceless.
Old 12th June 2008, 15:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
The electrode was completely dry but I suspect that the spark plug gap is in excess. Bike has done 11k kms and the plugs have not been replaced even once.
Yes looks like the gap is in excess. Anyway 12K is a good milege to change the plug, though it would run after that. Most of the owners manual (Pulsar, Bullet) recommends to change the plug after 12K and I do follow it.
Old 12th June 2008, 20:03   #6
BHPian

I was beginning to wonder where all the DIY guys were on the forum!! Thanks for the inputs, I will be changing the spark plugs and the engine oil in a few days time. Will update the thread later.

Edit: What type of oil filter is present in bikes? Is it similar to a car's oil filter? Where is it located and how do we replace it?

Last edited by hyper123 : 12th June 2008 at 20:05. Reason: addition
Old 12th June 2008, 21:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thats no way a 12 km run plug! looks much older. Is it 12 km after last cleaning?

Bike is running rich and as suggested check the lead gap also.
Old 12th June 2008, 22:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

The gap is too much. And invest in a set of feeler gauge.

Always use ring/socket wrench wherever possible. It will prevent slippages which is good for your hands and for the bolts & nuts.

Buy good quality tools - Taparia & Everest are good quality brands available in India.

Dispose the oil sensibly.. don't pour it in a gully or ditch or drain. Collect it in a oil can and gift it to your two wheeler mechanic he'll happily take it from you.

And coming to your bie's spark plug it doesn't look too rich. But is that carbon soot wet or dry? In the first pic it looks dry but in the second it looks wet.
Old 12th June 2008, 22:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

And coming to your bie's spark plug it doesn't look too rich. But is that carbon soot wet or dry? In the first pic it looks dry but in the second it looks wet.

What's the difference ? Please explain
Old 13th June 2008, 00:38   #10
Team-BHP Support

Wet means really rich/oil seepage since its a 4 stroke, carbon soot means on the richer side since he mentioned high revs also.
Old 13th June 2008, 03:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dispose the oil sensibly.. don't pour it in a gully or ditch or drain. Collect it in a oil can and gift it to your two wheeler mechanic he'll happily take it from you.
Only to go to some village in Tamilnadu, get recycled and come back packaged as new Castrol GTX !. Too bad we don't have an oil disposal system.
Old 13th June 2008, 21:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thats no way a 12 km run plug! looks much older. Is it 12 km after last cleaning?

Bike is running rich and as suggested check the lead gap also.
Umm, I meant the bike has done 11,000 kms on these plugs and I clicked these photos after a 12 kms ride in the morning.

Quote:

And coming to your bike's spark plug it doesn't look too rich. But is that carbon soot wet or dry? In the first pic it looks dry but in the second it looks wet.
The soot was quite dry actually. Tried different angles while clicking the photo and that was the best I could do. Thank you for the advice and I will dispose off the oil as you said.

Although, what other purposes can used engine oil be used for?
Old 14th June 2008, 01:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Fr campfires, maybe?

PS: 11k is TOO early for replacing spark plugs. I replaced one of sada champion ones after like 15k km, that too because I was bored and got a good deal on a Bosch twin spark plug
PPS: Slightly better but doesnt really matter, if y'ask me. But yes, 100 bucks for a twinspark plug is just fine, considering regular BAL one costs almost as much.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PPS: Slightly better but doesnt really matter, if y'ask me. But yes, 100 bucks for a twinspark plug is just fine, considering regular BAL one costs almost as much.
OT: Daya , the BAL single point champion plug will cost 65 Rs/- . .You have the name of the Bosh one you mentioned . Is it a straight fit ? ,hows the difference ? ,is it BOSCH Super: twin electrode for 2 wheelers ?

Last edited by black12rr : 15th June 2008 at 20:15.
Old 7th July 2008, 10:57   #15
BHPian

Is it better to change the engine oil when the engine is warm (after a about 2-3kms of riding) or is it better if we do it first thing in the morning, on a cold engine so that all the oil would have flown back to the sump?

Last edited by hyper123 : 7th July 2008 at 10:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks