Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 17:01   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Running in means one should not be over revving the bike in each of the gears, it has nothing to do with speed i.e if i am crusing at 60 km/hr but not over revving the bike. its safe. Over revving puts pressure on the newly assembled kit, hence its not recommended untill all the engine parts are well used to the beating they are suppose to handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
Please tell me what over-revving means?
I really want to know- not joking.

Will cruising at 60 kmph in 3rd gear of any RX be over-revving?
And will it damage my bike- especially while running-in the bike. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The crankshaft undergoes more rotations per minute that the rotations of the driving wheel (rear wheel in case of the RX 100/135). This is when the engine becomes noisy and had there been a tachometer on the instrument console the rpm would have been near or within the redline.
Proper engagement of gears at the proper engine rpm negates the chances of over-revving.
My question is aimed at invincible7 sir- that's why the quote- wrt to his statement of 'cruising at 60kmph is safe and not over-revving'- with running-in taken into consideration especially.
That's why some more queries have been put across.

Coming to your reply anjan sir-
I understand what you are trying to say- it's what a rider "feels".
Afaik, the crank/cranshaft always revolves/rotates at a higher rpm than the rear wheel- in any gear, at any speed.
And most Indian bikes in stock tune, especially RX, don't redline in the real sense of the word.
And being near the redline may or may not be over-revving, depending on the vehicle.

So, i am still waiting for invincible7 sir's explanation of 'over-revving' wrt his post.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:06   #62
BHPian

@BIKeINSTEIN..he already replied to your query.

Quote:
Over revving means when one is over shooting from the recommended rpm ranges while changing gears. It can also be said as going above the redlining of rpm ranges in each gear. While doing so one is over stressing the engine in each gear and thus contributing towards engine tear down when the engine is newly rebuild.

So if one is changing gears well before the redlining mark for each gears one is not overstressing the engine in any ways. Hence if you are at 20 or 60 it wont make much of a difference.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:25   #63
BHPian

Dumb me- sorry for the mistake and missing the reply.
Quote:
Running in means one should not be over revving the bike in each of the gears, it has nothing to do with speed i.e if i am crusing at 60 km/hr but not over revving the bike. its safe. Over revving puts pressure on the newly assembled kit, hence its not recommended untill all the engine parts are well used to the beating they are suppose to handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
Please tell me what over-revving means?
I really want to know- not joking.

Will cruising at 60 kmph in 3rd gear of any RX be over-revving?
And will it damage my bike- especially while running-in the bike. :(
Quote:
Over revving means when one is over shooting from the recommended rpm ranges while changing gears. It can also be said as going above the redlining of rpm ranges in each gear. While doing so one is over stressing the engine in each gear and thus contributing towards engine tear down when the engine is newly rebuild.

So if one is changing gears well before the redlining mark for each gears one is not overstressing the engine in any ways. Hence if you are at 20 or 60 it wont make much of a difference.
So changing gears before i redline is avoiding over-revving totally?

And like i said earlier to anjan sir- i am yet to see a RX in stock tune redline- in the real sense of the word.
So does that mean RX cannot be over-revved?

And what if i don't change the gear- will over-revving come into picture then?
eg.
Does it matter if i am riding at 20 or 60kmph in 3rd gear or is it safe cruising at 60kmph in 3rd gear, on an RX100/135, especially while running-in the bike?
Old 15th July 2008, 18:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Sorry I forgot to attach the pic in the previous post

Here are the Pics Yamaha RX-Z (1997)
Baap re! Be careful while riding that monster parked next to the RXZ .
Old 16th July 2008, 15:42   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Baap re! Be careful while riding that monster parked next to the RXZ .
Yeah man, it was a really funny incident that is why I took that pic in the first place.

I had parked my bike and if you look at that pic the kid's cycle had no stand so he was using my bike as support, you see the handle of the cycle is carefully and skillfully placed on on the front tyre.

Hmmm... there were so many other bikes parked there, why the lil kid choose the Yamaha ?
Old 16th July 2008, 18:26   #66
Senior - BHPian

See one day i was riding a similar monster and it was pulling power wheelies... had to put down my feet to balance the bad boy
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-power-wheelie.jpg  

Old 18th July 2008, 22:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know how much would a pair of rear shocks cost me? Is Gabriel the best brand or is there some better one?
Old 19th July 2008, 15:15   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

My Yamaha RX 100(1990)

Thats my most trustworthy, Yamaha RX 100 (1990) model - the chrome and wine red paint on the petrol tank are original.
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-sonycamv-202.jpg

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-sonycamv-203.jpg
Old 19th July 2008, 16:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know how much would a pair of rear shocks cost me? Is Gabriel the best brand or is there some better one?
I believe it should cost you around 900 for a pair of Gabriel. It was the cost when I replaced mine around 2 years back.
Old 19th July 2008, 16:54   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes BIKEINstien- sorry if I've misspelt your name. Yes indeed, the redline for each engine is different. For a Ferrari the redline will be at a higher and more tolerant level than say a RX 100. And going beyond the redline (overrevving) means that the machine is bound to consume more fuel as the revvs are more and the wheel rotation is less. Thats why there are overdrive 5th and 6th gears where the engine rpm is lower than the gear and finally wheel rpm. That is the gear ratio which falls to below one. You will find the gear ratios as 1 : 0.88 and 1 : 0.77 (the Yamaha R 15), which means that with 0.88 or 0.77 movements of the crankshaft the wheel undergoes one rotation. This means more fuel economy when the overdrive gears are engaged.
Old 19th July 2008, 20:35   #71
BHPian

^ you may call me Bikey.
Thanks a lot to invinci7 and anjan sir for the replies but both have been replying a bit in vague imho.
Redline is redline- given the same level of engineering, shouldn't matter a lot where it begins, at 7K rpm or 13K rpm.
I think neither of the 2 is getting the actual meaning of "redlining" or "over-revving".

Why get a Ferrari to make a point- RX is dear to me but it's still an insult to the Ferrari in many ways.
And not always 5th and/or 6th gears are overdrive unless specified.

About the earlier posts i quoted and highlighted/underlined certain statements and asked questions based on some conflicting thoughts- please forget it.
Let me leave this thread to pics and other details.

Will post mine soon- as soon as i find them and get them scanned.

That huge makeshift mud-flap for the monsoon is not good for the engine.
And i was pleasantly surprised to see that even Bajaj has mentioned it in the P200 owner's manual- thumbsup to BAL for that.
(they really need every bit of airflow anyways with the seemingly poor finnage and quality of their engines).

Last edited by BIKeINSTEIN : 19th July 2008 at 20:36.
Old 20th July 2008, 10:36   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I got Endurance rear shocks for 700, endurance are the OEM suppliers to many companies. Gabriel were for 900.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tml#post885622

Endurance Group - Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thats my most trustworthy, Yamaha RX 100 (1990) model - the chrome and wine red paint on the petrol tank are original.
Very well maintained, always keep her shining.
Old 20th July 2008, 12:56   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Shakensoul

Thank you for your nice words.
Old 20th July 2008, 13:21   #74
BHPian

@straight6 gabriel is the best shocks, but be alert there are lot of fake gabriels running around the market . please locate a direct distubutor of gabriel in mumbai and purchase it from him.
Old 20th July 2008, 15:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
@straight6 gabriel is the best shocks, but be alert there are lot of fake gabriels running around the market . please locate a direct distubutor of gabriel in mumbai and purchase it from him.
Actually the bike already has Gabriel on it but I have noticed that they bottom out even when I'm riding solo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks