Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 09:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Susan..i feel its a bot steep price to pay.
I was offered a 1971 Madras factory original for 19K...
Old 14th August 2008, 09:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
...I was offered a 1971 Madras factory original for 19K...
I want one. Right now. SERIOUS

Old 14th August 2008, 09:50   #18
BHPian

He he he ... I know exactly how you are feeling. May I suggest something. Get a slightly newer bike , ride it for a few months while you are looking for the older bike. You will get a hang of it.. Then living with the old bike will be much easier.
Old 14th August 2008, 10:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Hi Shahnawaz,
Good to see your interest towards vintage Bullets also. Although, a very reasonable suggestion turned down by you of buying a new one is still a thought away!
Nevertheless, Sankar has already pointed out most of the unoriginalities on the machine. I am in agreement with him and can see that this bike has just a tag of being from 60s' and not actually having those vintage parts.
I am uploading a few pics of a bike from the same era, which was brought for servicing owned by a farmer. You will notice the engine including the carb and levers on the bike are original.
Sankar will be able to tell us about the authenticity of this bike. The rear shockers had imprint of 'Made in England'. Plus I believe that the bikes that genre had etching of Royal Enfield on the engine.(Sankar, request authenticate)
hey susan is that the ignition coil placed below the carb??
Old 14th August 2008, 14:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
hey susan is that the ignition coil placed below the carb??
That bike has a magneto. The ignition current comes from inside the magneto, it doesn't have a separate ignition coil outside of the magneto. The points system is also inside the magneto.
Old 14th August 2008, 22:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

It also has manual advance/retard. Something I always wanted to experience.
Old 20th August 2008, 23:56   #22
BHPian

Hey Sankar,
The owner is not very keen to ride on or maintain it in a manner the vintage piece should have been! Other people around the bike(read ME) have made the bikes' value higher by observing it so closely and has given a thought to the owner that this bike has some anique value.
Nevertheless, I will enquire if he wants to shed it off. How much should we quote for this steed?
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Friends,

Saw this one for sale. Owner says that it is a 1961 model and is completely restored. Asking for 55K.

I will find out from the forum how to live with a bullet once i buy it, if I manage to buy it.

Cheers,
I know you have decided against the bike and that is a good decision. This bike is no where close to original. Even the mudgaurds are local makes. Good decision - you should get a much better model for tht price.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
I thought the earlier bullets had a single level seating instead of the multi level being shown here.

Also filter box is all wrong.

Check the image below.

http://www.royal-enfield.net/old_bul...350_Bullet.jpg
The bike on the link is a British issue 61 model. These have a different body line compared to the ones sold in India. The Indian version more or less has the bodyline of the model G which was discontinued in the UK in 1955. I know of one Brit issue 350 cc bike in Bangalore, There is a 61 70cc in Bangalore with the same bodyline
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:08   #25
BHPian

[quote=Sankar;938969]Susan3004 what a great find! That bikes looks authenticate, only the air filter, battery box and meters looks out of place but all the important hardware looks genuine. Even the fork cover's aluminium bush is there and that is one part which gets lost or stolen from many all original bikes. quote]

Yup - looks to be a fairly nice find, This is a 1956 model and hence would have had a badge on the timing case, 57 and 58 came with the engraving.

Also the gear box is not original. This model should have the Gear Box oil gauge right under the air filter. The airfilter was not oval on this model.

Uploading the picture of my 57. There are still a few things to be done on this one. Am busy finishing my 59 model and it will take time before this ones gets a complete restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help on buying a Bullet-bikes_006.jpg  

Sheshagiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Susan and sheshgiri

What is the thing just above the timing gear covers and in between the carb and cylinder of these bikes,never seen this in a Bullet before?
Old 23rd August 2008, 14:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Akshay, That is the magneto assembly. It provides the electricity for the lights and accessories and the spark for the engine. It generates DC current. Newer bikes have alternator inside the primary case.
Old 23rd August 2008, 14:53   #28
BHPian

my 1959 RE 350cc

Heres my ride, 1959 350 cc bullet. This has been restored in detail. Has the smiths speedo, lucas ampere, amal carb, altette horns, original headlamp and tail lamp, switches etc. Even the spark plug cap is a original KLG. I have used a battery box to avoid the acid burning holes in my trousers.

Experts - let me know if you think something is missing.

Some of the rarer items on this bike are the Crown tank badges, twin lead front break drums and the QD rear wheel, white dial Lucas ampere, L564 tail lamp
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help on buying a Bullet-picture-020.jpg  

Need Help on buying a Bullet-picture-024.jpg  

Need Help on buying a Bullet-picture-025.jpg  

Need Help on buying a Bullet-picture-027.jpg  

Need Help on buying a Bullet-picture-028.jpg  

Need Help on buying a Bullet-picture-029.jpg  

Need Help on buying a Bullet-picture-030.jpg  

Sheshagiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sheshagiri, which magneto unit is that? It doesn't look original. Rest of the bike is simply superb!

I see you have the special front hub The rear hub also looks the part. I guess not many bikes rolled out with these hubs in India. Did this model have the aluminium central stand as std fitting? Looks brilliant.

Why did you replace the timing chest screws with the cross head type, doesn't the other type look more authentic?
Old 23rd August 2008, 17:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Sheshagiri, which magneto unit is that? It doesn't look original. Rest of the bike is simply superb!

I see you have the special front hub The rear hub also looks the part. I guess not many bikes rolled out with these hubs in India. Did this model have the aluminium central stand as std fitting? Looks brilliant.

Why did you replace the timing chest screws with the cross head type, doesn't the other type look more authentic?
Hi Sankar,
This is a 1959 model and is the first alternator model to be released by RE in India. It came with an SR1 magneto as standard equipment and that is what you see on the bike. It comes with a Auto Timing Device or ATD which is fitted inside the timing case. From 1960, they added the lucas distributor. Even then SR magneto's were sold as optional as it would help start the bike without the battery. SR1 is amongst the best magneto's manufactured by Lucas. They also manufactured SR2 for twins and SR4 for 4 cylinder cards.

1959 came with the cross head screws and hence I had to get them from Hitchcock.

No - This model didnt come with Alluminium stand as standard but I just love the look of the stand.

The Alluminium full width hub was given optional and one had to buy them seperately. Only in 1957 and 58 - RE fitted this as standard and sold the bikes as Deluxe Bullet. It was only a marketing strategy.

The rear hub is called QD or Quick Detachable. It has a 2 piece axle and makes tyre removal easy. The sproket remains on the swingarm like in the newer bikes.

Last edited by Sheshagiri : 23rd August 2008 at 17:37.
Sheshagiri is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks