Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 09:53   #16
BHPian

Suzuki came out with a 150 cc for a very simple reason: The demand for commuter bikes are far, far greater than the demand for performance bikes in India at least.
There are enthusiasts (who actually cannot live without the best), peudo enthusiasts (who despite being in a commuter category would like to "sound" enthu!!) and aspirers (people like who live in a hope that one day I can ride the VRod!!). All these categories put together, we I beleive will be less than 1% of the bike market in India.
And if I am not mistaken, the Suzukis, the Hondas, etc are in India for the enormous middle class, not the enthusiasts.
Hell the enthusiasts were on R1s, Gixxers and Hyabusas even when they are not available on the open market.
Sorry for a boring "Lecture".
Old 24th October 2008, 10:08   #17
BHPian

From the pictures it looks to me like a pulsar-apache-hunk clone.
Although it is an effort on the part of the suzuki team the 150cc segment is overloaded with bikes with similar characteristics. The pricing also is not lot different from the other 150cc bikes.
So i guess people might just stick on to buying their tried and tested reliable pulsars and apaches.
I think the timing that suzuki has brought out this bike is not very good. It will be interesting to see how this bike fairs in the market.
Old 24th October 2008, 13:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice effort.
Looks : Modified Pulsar + Modified Unicorn.
Engine : Sounds a bit nice.
Bore X Stroke : 57 mm X 58.6 mm. Torque must be good.
Power : 13.8 bhp.
Torque : 13.4 Nm.
Specific output : 92.3bhp / ltr.
Carburetor: BS26 with Throttle Position Sensor ( FI was expected ).
Fuel tank: 15.5 litres
Overall length: 2095mm
Overall width: 775mm
Overall height: 1120mm
Wheelbase: 1340mm ( nice )
Kerb weight: 149kg
Ground Clearence : 160mm.
Colors: Pearl nebular black, Metallic flint gray, Candy max orange & Candy dark greenish blue.

The box section swing arm is nice feature. The bike looks better from rear. Front end is confused as mentioned in Looks.
Going by the present Suzuki Zeus ( which I have ), the bike will mostly be very torquey and with six gears, the FE could be high given the ( expected high torque ) torque. Engine will be the best part of bike.
The pricing is excellent, but then I bought Zeus 37,000 + 12000 ( Caliber Buyback ) = Rs. 49000/-. This bike is good value.

This bike is just like Unicorn, one that is a good 150cc commuter and not racing machine like Pulsar or RTR.
Pricing is shocking value.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 24th October 2008 at 13:33.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:05   #19
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This bike is just like Unicorn, one that is a good 150cc commuter and not racing machine like Pulsar or RTR.
Suzuki should have given this bike a rear monoshock. Unicorn would finally have had competetion.

Instead they have given it an extra gear. The sixth gear is a little pointless since if it is that closed ratioed in city you'll be changing gears all the time. Besides this closed ratio gearbox philosophy does not go well with the rest of the package (average engine power, generic styling).

An 85% effort.

Old 24th October 2008, 22:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post

1) Suzuki should have given this bike a rear monoshock. Unicorn would finally have had competetion.

2) Instead they have given it an extra gear. The sixth gear is a little pointless since if it is that closed ratioed in city you'll be changing gears all the time. Besides this closed ratio gearbox philosophy does not go well with the rest of the package (average engine power, generic styling).
1) Yes, but IMO, this bike will be a good commuter.

2) In a similar fashion, Suzuki Zeus is not a very powerful bike, but it has got 5 gears. This infact works positive for the fuel economy given the excellent bottom end torque. Even with total load of 200 kg, Zeus will not knock at 25kmph in 5th gear. This is the torque.

IMHO, in the same way, this Gs150R will also have good torque that would allow utilization of the sixth gear properly like cruising at even 30 kmph will be done in sixth gear ( again good torque ), and this is what Suzuki intended from this bike, a good commuter. Lets wait till someone does a test drive!
Old 25th October 2008, 02:08   #21
BHPian

If anybody noticed, there are two riding modes in the bike; Economy and Power mode. Economy mode will be useful in city, where more power is often not needed, to achieve more mileage. The power mode is helpful in highways.

All these days I have been wondering why this method is not employed in bigger cc bikes (read 150-250cc). Finally the first step has been done by Suzuki.
Old 25th October 2008, 06:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Overall a nice looking bike that should be good to ride with not being too hardcore like an RTR. Some neat features not seen in this pricerange
  • 6 speed box---is it really necessary for such a mild bike?
  • ECO-Power switch---wonder if this is just a ignition map
  • balance shaft engine-------better be at least as smooth as Uni
Old 25th October 2008, 07:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
  • ECO-Power switch---wonder if this is just a ignition map
In all probabilities, it should be jus that!
Old 26th October 2008, 11:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
O
  • 6 speed box---is it really necessary for such a mild bike?

Sir, mostly the torque spread will make it useful. IMO, Suzuki is targetting the commuter market and not the market Pulsar/RTR/FZ-16 are targetting.
If the bike manages to do 30 kmph in 6th gear and cruise, then it will surely help efficiency.
Zeus also has 5 gears for a just about powerful engine. Yet I always felt the engine can handle one more cog for speeds above 40 kmph.
Old 26th October 2008, 21:35   #25
BHPian

Pulsar-Hunk-Unicorn Crossbreed?
Old 26th October 2008, 23:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
If anybody noticed, there are two riding modes in the bike; Economy and Power mode. Economy mode will be useful in city, where more power is often not needed, to achieve more mileage. The power mode is helpful in highways.

All these days I have been wondering why this method is not employed in bigger cc bikes (read 150-250cc). Finally the first step has been done by Suzuki.
Is this from TVS ??? Its there in my scooty Pep. Hope its not just a glowing bulb but some kind of switch that does some work.
Old 27th October 2008, 09:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

It would be fun if the mode switch will work like the three mode select switch they have it in their gixxers. Mode A full power all of 11BHPs, mode B half power (i'm a poser mode) 6 BHP and the mode C (i'm a miser mode) just enough power to take my butt home!!

Last edited by Sankar : 27th October 2008 at 09:36.
Old 27th October 2008, 10:39   #28
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Sir, mostly the torque spread will make it useful. IMO, Suzuki is targetting the commuter market and not the market Pulsar/RTR/FZ-16 are targetting.
If the bike manages to do 30 kmph in 6th gear and cruise, then it will surely help efficiency.
Zeus also has 5 gears for a just about powerful engine. Yet I always felt the engine can handle one more cog for speeds above 40 kmph.
If the torque curve is so good and Suzuki is targetting the commuters, they could have given the bike a longer 5th gear. The kind of people who cruise at 40 Km/H will find the extra gear a burden.

Old 28th October 2008, 09:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

More pictures of the Suzuki GS150R

Suzuki's Second Strike - Launches GS150R w/ 6-speed-suzuki_gs150r_13.jpg Suzuki's Second Strike - Launches GS150R w/ 6-speed-suzuki_gs150r_7.jpg
Suzuki's Second Strike - Launches GS150R w/ 6-speed-suzuki_gs150r_11.jpg Suzuki's Second Strike - Launches GS150R w/ 6-speed-suzuki_gs150r_9.jpg
Suzuki's Second Strike - Launches GS150R w/ 6-speed-suzuki_gs150r_8.jpg

Source: Suzuki GS150R pictures | Vicky blog | Indian Automobile blog
Old 28th October 2008, 10:29   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Is this from TVS ??? Its there in my scooty Pep. Hope its not just a glowing bulb but some kind of switch that does some work.
Exactly, i have ridden a scooty once ages ago and noticed that bulb from power to eco mode ( something like green color to some other color), i totally think its just a farce.

Anyways, the new bike from suzuki is just another bike on the road, i didnt find it jerk your head sideways attention grabber
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks