Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2008, 20:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

The problems with the bike was that it used to stop while idling (one bullet expert pointed me to check the idle jet!) and some nasty hits on my leg while kick-starting the bike (it damn hurts!)

I can live with these, but not with oil leaks and missing parts. I am too impatient for these.
These two problems that you mention are solvable. The first one is to be solved by adjusting the idling (just a few mm turn in the screw under the carb). The second problem is just Bullet's way of telling youngsters to behave and pay him respect !!
Once you learn the fine art of starting a Bullet that back kick problem would go. In fact even a child can literally start a well tuned Bullet. I am serious about it. You don't need a full kick to start a Bullet. Just half a kick is enough.
Bullet was designed for a time and an era when people used to have a lot of time at their disposal to do things. It's not for those in a hurry. Certainly not.
Sudipto
Old 6th September 2008, 23:34   #17
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

On behalf of Gordon

Yes, at last I've found the culprit. For now at least. Took the cafe for a ride, parked it on side stand and there in a few moments seen it coming from the spark plug. Nothing from the bolts or around the gasket area.

Rocker gaskets and head gasket has been changed. Tappet cover gasket has also been changed when the bike was given for repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Another possibility is that it could be from the sparkplug. It is not rare for oil to come from the spark plug threads on cast iron bullets. On AVLs it's rare. If that's the case then you might see smoke from the exhaust especially when you close the throttle after holding it wide open. In that case the piston rings might need a change. SInce AVLs have stem seal oil leaking in through the valve stems is only a rare possibility.
Thanks for the help Sankar. Don't see any smoke at all. When we opened the head and checked the piston, everything seemed to be in order. So I think maybe the spark plug is not tightened. May put a copper washer tomm for the spark plug to control the leak.
Old 7th September 2008, 00:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Change the sparkplug! Sparkplug's use a crush washer it will only work for a limited number of removals and re installs. Once the crush washer won't seal properly you will get these kind of oil seepage issues.

Copper washer is a temporary solution if the bike is ridden hard then the oil will start to seep in between the copper washer and the spark plug.

I'm curious to know what your mech said about the oil leaking from spark plug hole. A little bit of oil/wetness can be understood but so much oil to create a puddle...
Old 7th September 2008, 00:31   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Gordon:

Somehow I hate every mechanic's work I've taken the bike to. Most mess up soo badly and the poor cafe has to go through a new nonsense every single time. All these small mistakes like not tightening the bolts, wrong diagnosis, changing the wrong spare, not tuning the carb, etc is very annoying. It can easily be corrected but still.

Sankar, the Machismo AVL350 is equipped with a BS26 carb right?! Or a BS29?! I'm searching for a 110 jet. Right now there is a 130 jet thats probably not tuned properly. Will have to take it to a NEW mechanic to do the tuning.

The stock silencer is sounding quite good, very smooth and refined. The speed has decreased, but thats probably because of the carb tuning. Will check that tomm!

Last edited by v12 : 7th September 2008 at 00:35.
Old 7th September 2008, 01:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hmm why dont you try to Visit Anthony. i have heard a lot about this man. people say he is real good at British Bikes.
Old 7th September 2008, 08:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Oil leaks can be fixed if the mech puts his mind my cast iron 500 's head leaks quite often i guess will have to sit with mech and find a solution...
Old 7th September 2008, 09:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Sankar, the Machismo AVL350 is equipped with a BS26 carb right?! Or a BS29?! I'm searching for a 110 jet. Right now there is a 130 jet thats probably not tuned properly. Will have to take it to a NEW mechanic to do the tuning.
Yep the AVL350 has the BS 26 carb. You can use the cast iron 500's jet if you're looking for 110 size. Or try Pulsar 180's 115 sized one.
Old 7th September 2008, 10:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Will change the spark plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Yep the AVL350 has the BS 26 carb. You can use the cast iron 500's jet if you're looking for 110 size. Or try Pulsar 180's 115 sized one.
Nope the VM jets do not fit onto the BS26 carb. The Enfield Spare Shops don't even have the stock jet. I had actually been to Bajaj Service Center to pick a 110 jet, but they said they don't know the size etc. They just asked me what bike I own and I had to say Pulsar 180 old model. He showed me the spares manual and showed me the different parts in the BS 26 carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep
Hmm why dont you try to Visit Anthony. i have heard a lot about this man. people say he is real good at British Bikes.
I've been to him too to change my clutch cable once and some other work. He did the cable superbly, but did one mistake in the other work. But a very well talented guy.
Old 7th September 2008, 10:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Oh and V12's posted the photo shoot pics in the Enfield Cafe Racer thread. Do check them out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...-m-back-5.html

Old 7th September 2008, 13:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Nope the VM jets do not fit onto the BS26 carb. The Enfield Spare Shops don't even have the stock jet. I had actually been to Bajaj Service Center to pick a 110 jet, but they said they don't know the size etc. They just asked me what bike I own and I had to say Pulsar 180 old model. He showed me the spares manual and showed me the different parts in the BS 26 carb.
That's the usual scene in most of the authorised spare dealers I've had a similar experience at Popular Bajaj in Blore.

Regarding the VM jets i have swapped them with BS jets. I was using 125 sized Avenger jet in my VM28 for some time. I then switched over to Italian Dellorto 28mm when i got it from a friend.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Corrected the leaks at our own garage. Checked the spark plug, its quite okay. No leaks from there it seems. The main leak was from the two oil feed pipes. On side stand, the oil leaked from there and onto the spark plug area, which is why it felt that was the source. Both oil feed pipes have been tightened. No leak since, well at least for now.

If the bike misfires when revving high, does that mean the fuel in the carb is less?! The spark plug says a different story though. It gets blackened quite quickly. Moreover, there is a 130 jet inside at the moment. With the Goldstar silencer, the bike touches 60-65 in 3rd. With the stock it touches 55-60. With both silencers it misfires at a certain stage.

Is there any other issue why it should misfire?! Or its just the carb?! Oh and the wiring is proper, before anyone mentions that.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:33   #27
BHPian

Could the misfiring also happen due to a richer-than-normal petrol-air mix ?

The combustion stroke, in this case, would not be able to burn all the petrol and cause the issue.
Old 8th September 2008, 21:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

The bike is rich. Lean it out and your misfiring issues would be over.
Old 8th September 2008, 22:42   #29
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Gordon
?!?!?!? My usual mechanic actually told me that there is less fuel going, and we'll have to feed in more fuel!!!! I wonder what he's got against my bike!

Last edited by v12 : 8th September 2008 at 22:44.
Old 8th September 2008, 22:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha may be he does not want to lose on the money that you pay him every time you go there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks