Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 23:39   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
These two problems that you mention are solvable. The first one is to be solved by adjusting the idling (just a few mm turn in the screw under the carb). The second problem is just Bullet's way of telling youngsters to behave and pay him respect !!
Once you learn the fine art of starting a Bullet that back kick problem would go. In fact even a child can literally start a well tuned Bullet. I am serious about it. You don't need a full kick to start a Bullet. Just half a kick is enough.
Bullet was designed for a time and an era when people used to have a lot of time at their disposal to do things. It's not for those in a hurry. Certainly not.
Sudipto
Sudipto: I'll be half sold if the idling problem goes away! I had to push the bike across signals since it would refuse to start after going off during idling

I do respect the bullet - I'll try the half kick strategy, and I owe you a coffee if it works! I have about 3 weeks more with my friend's bullet before he returns from US.

If these two problems, are solved, I'll sure take a Machismo 500 for my next bike! (I'll wait till Diwali, just in case Ninja is launched by then... )
Old 9th September 2008, 00:10   #32
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

AVL's are more difficult to start than CI's, unless of course if you have self-start. CI's are comparitively much easier to start if you have the knack of it.

What main jet does the Pulsar have?! I had gone to the Bajaj Service Center to pick the jet. They kept asking me what bike exactly do I own. I told them old Pulsar 180 with normal speedo. He got out a spares manual and showed me the spares. I pointed out the Jet Kit or the Jet Needle. He got them out for me. Trouble is they don't know the size so I didn't pick it.
Old 12th September 2008, 15:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great News!
  • Leaks: No leaks whatsoever from the engine. Will have to change the gearbox oil seal, since the guys at PR changed the wrong oil seal (clutch casing).
  • Main Jet / Carb Tuning: Got the 110 jet from Milan Subway. Gave it to my new mechanic to fit it. He opened the carb, said that the previous mechanic didn't fit the 130 jet properly ANDDD the 130 jet was designed for the CI Bullet carb. Anyways, he also said that there MAY be a problem with the float also because there is excess petrol filling inside the carb. He took it for a spin and said that the bike is MUCHHH smooth, pickup and speed (stock silencer) has increased compared to earlier.
  • Spark Plug: Will get the spark plug cleant again since it may have residue caused by the previous 130 jet.
  • Goldstar silencer: I took the bike to my garage and fitted the Goldstar silencer back on. I hope the 110 jet doesn't cause a problem to the Goldstar silencer.

Thought it'd be a good time to take pics of the bike with the stock silencer.

The bike in different avatars:

Cafe Seat with stock silencer (yesterday). The stock silencer is wayyyy too silent. Bike sounds very refined, but there is no fun to it.
Enfield: Oil Leak!-cafeog.jpg

Goldstar seat with stock silencer (today morning).
Enfield: Oil Leak!-og.jpg

The bike today afternoon. 3 years 8 months old in original paint condition (except the engine/clutch casing).
Enfield: Oil Leak!-fav.jpg

Last edited by Gordon : 12th September 2008 at 15:54.
Old 12th September 2008, 15:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Sriram for the late response. Please ask someone to show you how to manipulate the idling and how to use the compressor lever and when to kick - that's the key. Your problems would be solved.
Sudipto
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

sorry for the bump .I had faced a very slight oil leak with my Bullet Electra 4S clutch case.the problem was fixed by changing the neutral indicator switch(the one attached to gear).costs Rs45.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:27   #36
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch
sorry for the bump .I had faced a very slight oil leak with my Bullet Electra 4S clutch case.the problem was fixed by changing the neutral indicator switch(the one attached to gear).costs Rs45.
Now that was shocking! My neutral switch is working well. Will check though.
Old 3rd December 2008, 07:52   #37
BHPian

If you see oil on your stand, you probably have a leak from the clutch oil seal.

first thing to do is unscrew the level plug and check if the oil is low if not you may have a gearbox oilseal leakIf it seems low then check the clutch oil seal.(also check your chaincase beading)

The mechanics shouldnt just change the oilseal, they have to recentre it too.this requires loosening the inner chaincase nuts situated around the drive shaft and moving the chaincase up or down to centre the oilseal around the gearbox mainshaft.

if a small leak still persists after doing this you might want to check and change the gear shift rod oilseals on the inner and outer chaincase.

If you have had a fall in the past check the chaincase for cracks.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

I think ,there is a difference in old enfields and new ones wr.to Oil leak.New Ones almost got no oil leak from clutch case(arguably!).
Old 5th August 2009, 10:39   #39

High throttle misfiring

Hey guys,

I hope someone is sill active on the thread, i have a similar issue with my mach 500, after about half throttle, the bike starts misfiring, so roughly the top speed i can achieve is around 80kmph. I had initially thought that probably it was because of the carb, since sometime earlier it had been rejetted. I arranged a new carb and instead of going for BS29, i opted for VM 28mm, running with a 110 jet. the misfiring issue is still there, a thorough check of the electricals has also been done, but everything looks good. Any advice would be much appreciated. I guess a stock VM 28 carb should not be rich for the LB 500!

Thanks

Shobhit
Old 5th August 2009, 13:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

There are several reasons this can happen:

- Electrical Problem
- Magnet/Coil problem
- Carb manifold
- Carb dirty
- Air Filter dirty
- Spark plug
- CDI
- at one time the mechanic said that the electrical flow to the spark plug wasn't continous

I've checked every option, and all of them are fine. Yet the bike misfires. Somehow I think its the either the carb OR the wire to the spark plug.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:21   #41
BHPian

^ you still have that misfiring issue?
Old 5th August 2009, 19:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the issue remains. When I clean the carb, the issue is mild. But it returns in another few days.
Old 5th August 2009, 19:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imshobhit View Post
Hey guys,

I hope someone is sill active on the thread, i have a similar issue with my mach 500, after about half throttle, the bike starts misfiring, so roughly the top speed i can achieve is around 80kmph. I had initially thought that probably it was because of the carb, since sometime earlier it had been rejetted. I arranged a new carb and instead of going for BS29, i opted for VM 28mm, running with a 110 jet. the misfiring issue is still there, a thorough check of the electricals has also been done, but everything looks good. Any advice would be much appreciated. I guess a stock VM 28 carb should not be rich for the LB 500!

Thanks

Shobhit
I cant recall the stock main jet size on Vm 28.
but i faced same problem on my Re 350,when i had rejetted stock Vm24
I switched to a smaller jet and issue was resolved.
you may want to try a smaller jet.
Old 5th August 2009, 19:48   #44
BHPian

Speaking of oil leaks, my occasionally ridden CI 350 has been behaving in a puzzling manner lately. It leaks oil when it's not been ridden for about two weeks or more. And when it does, it dumps about 50-100 ml all at once on the ground and then cheerfully dries up. If ridden daily it doesn't drop oil at all. Even after a week's abstinence it behaved itself. Two weeks seems to open the floodgates.

The oil drops in a little pool under the bike, just ahead of the centre stand and a bit to the left (battery side). Could the clutch case gasket be at fault? But if this is so, shouldn't there be a steady seepage rather than a sudden gush? The oil flows out only when the engine is started after a certain period of disuse, and not when parked undisturbed.

I haven't been able to flip the machine over to see where exactly the oil's coming from, but I did check the dipstick. It indicates fluctuating oil levels -- when cold it falls to the minimum level, but once the engine is warm it climbs beyond the midway mark! Most odd. Any leads, Bullet gurus?
Old 5th August 2009, 22:33   #45

Vm28

@akshay- the stock VM28 comes with a 110 jet, i tried that, the bike still misfired, i shifted down to 98 size jet, the bike was starved, on 110 jet size, the spark plug is brown, it tends to get black with the 120 jet size.

The mechanic suggests that there is a pick up coil built into the alternator of the machismo, changing it might make a difference, rest of the electricals we have more or less swapped and checked!

Could this have something to do with valve timing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks