Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2008, 11:03   #16
BHPian

do the maintainence free battery really need no charging or do they have other way of getting charged?its really good if it does not require charging. in that case no acid dripping issues and no tension of charging every now and then.thats an amazing product for me.hope to get an amaron one in some months
Old 12th October 2008, 16:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wrong question dude...!

Maintenance free means you dont need to top up with distilled water frequently. In reality, many maintenance free batts do require top ups... but much less than non-maintenance free batts.

Considering that, the label "Maintenance Free" is a lie. It should be "Low Maintenance" instead. If its a true maintenance free batt, I guess it should be sealed.
Old 12th October 2008, 20:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Most maintenance free batteries would require no maintenance during their prescribed service life.

For example if Amaron provides a 5 year warranty on their maintenance free batteries it can be safely assumed that the battery would require no topping up for 5 years, provided the battery is used as it is to be, in a vehicle which is used regularly, which will subject the battery to normal charging and discharging cycle.

The maintenance free battery 'may' need topping up if after 5 years, if you want to extend the service life. It may also need topping up if used in a vehicle that doesn't see a regular use, or in a vehicle that is kept in storage.

Some companies used to manufacture low maintenance batteries. It needed topping up but not regularly as in normal batteries. Latest maintenance free batts use AGM (absorbent glass mat) technology. It recycles the gas produced in the battery back into moisture. They are maintenance free batteries requiring no topping up during their warranted service life.

5 years warranted service life is a good for any battery.
Old 18th July 2010, 10:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Finnaly got the Amaron AP-ATX9 for the Pulsar. Bought it for 1400rs. Has a 5 year warranty. Completely maintainence free.
I need to change the Battery of my 2005 Pulsar 150 , which is still running on the stock Exide it came with.
Is the above mentioned Amaron still a good option to go for ?
Old 19th July 2010, 18:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^^Very much. Though you could also consider Bosch and Base Terminal.
Old 20th July 2010, 12:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Very much. Though you could also consider Bosch and Base Terminal.
Most service centres around here seemed to stock only Exide and Tata Green (priced at 1600 and 1550 rupees) respectively.They come with a 15 month warranty. Amarons are darned hard to come by.
Will check with Darshan Tyres next weekend as they seem to be the official dealers of Amaron.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Most service centres around here seemed to stock only Exide and Tata Green (priced at 1600 and 1550 rupees) respectively.They come with a 15 month warranty. Amarons are darned hard to come by.
Will check with Darshan Tyres next weekend as they seem to be the official dealers of Amaron.
Go for Amaron as no one is offering what Amaron does. 30+30 months might be a marketing trick, to make sure that you will be a Amaron customer even if it becomes faulty after 30 months. Mine is in pristine condition even after boosting the charging rates from 3A to 8A for the HID.

Maintenance free battery will keep the terminals clean where as the normal batteries with direct bolting posts will get dirty because of acid fumes. When I was on stock battery, I had to clean the terminals almost every 3 months as well as the fuse block unit to be replaced for my bike because of this. But once I changed to SMF, it’s like fit and forget.

Another update on topping up, if the charging is smart, there won’t be much frequent toppings even on the ordinary types. It’s the overcharging makes the acid level lower. Believe me, I haven’t topped up my inverter battery for the past 2 years with a minimum of 2-3 times of outage daily and the acid level is still within the range. I have cross checked with the manufacturer about this and he confirmed that it’s got an over charging protection circuit.
Old 25th July 2010, 19:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Are you from Poona? Which area? Its not so difficult to get the brand you want. No need to settle for anything else just because of availability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Go for Amaron as no one is offering what Amaron does. 30+30 months might be a marketing trick, to make sure that you will be a Amaron customer even if it becomes faulty after 30 months. Mine is in pristine condition even after boosting the charging rates from 3A to 8A for the HID.

Maintenance free battery will keep the terminals clean where as the normal batteries with direct bolting posts will get dirty because of acid fumes. When I was on stock battery, I had to clean the terminals almost every 3 months as well as the fuse block unit to be replaced for my bike because of this. But once I changed to SMF, it’s like fit and forget.

Another update on topping up, if the charging is smart, there won’t be much frequent toppings even on the ordinary types. It’s the overcharging makes the acid level lower. Believe me, I haven’t topped up my inverter battery for the past 2 years with a minimum of 2-3 times of outage daily and the acid level is still within the range. I have cross checked with the manufacturer about this and he confirmed that it’s got an over charging protection circuit.
Fumes are a problem with crappy batteries like Exide and Amco. My Base Terminal is a normal non-sealed battery and there hasn't even been a trace of fumes or acid leakage over the year that I have been using it.

Quite right about the overcharging thing. Even our inverter battery has not needed topping up 1.5 - 2 years.
Old 25th July 2010, 19:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Are you from Poona? Which area? Its not so difficult to get the brand you want. No need to settle for anything else just because of availability!
Yep, from Kothrud. I am looking for vendors around this area because my horn/indicators are also not working to a useful degree, so dont want to travel with that.
+ I am really really lazy.

Couldnt take the bike out today because its raining almost non-stop over the weekend here. So battery purchase is postponed for 1 more week.
Old 25th July 2010, 19:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great, I'm from the same area! But which brand do you want? If you want Base Terminal, you could get it from a shop called Sandesh Autolines opp. Karishma Apts. If he dosen't have it in stock, ask for it to be procured. If that doesn't work, call BT Poona office and tell them to get one delivered there, or wherever else. One bike battery they may not home deliver, but if you need more, of if you need a car battery, you could ask for home delivery.
Old 25th May 2012, 14:27   #26
BHPian

Re: Best battery for Pulsar 150 DTSi ES

Waking up an old thread after long. Been advised to go for an Amaron battery for my Pulsar. So called up the dealer in Chembur
He's quoted Rs.1947 for an Alpha battery & Rs.1797 for a beta. Any suggestions & what's the difference between free warranty & pro-rata warranty?
Attached Images

Old 26th May 2012, 01:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Free warranty? The term is strange. Anyway, it would mean that you would get a free replacement in that period. After that period, you would get a certain discount (often reducing, but sometimes fixed. Varies according to manuf.) on purchase of a new Amaron battery.
Old 8th January 2019, 14:45   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like all these Alpha series batteries are no longer available in the market? All I seem to be getting are the beta series with a lower warranty period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks