Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:47   #16
Team-BHP Support

Teaser! Good job though, i think i need to get my hands dirty on the Shogun one of these weekends.

Do share the secret products if its available in India
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Teaser! Good job though, i think i need to get my hands dirty on the Shogun one of these weekends.

Try Amway Silicon glaze. Gives good shine. I tried on my bike which was not washed for 6 months and it came as a surprise. Just wash with water or some shampoo and put this glaze. Effective on chrome parts also like mud guards.
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:54   #18
BHPian

I may be grossly wrong but something tells me that he would have used a very mild abrasive material to achieve this and my gut feeling leans towards sieved Holy ash, otherwise called as Vibhuti or Bhasma.

Sorry if I am grossly wrong, but this is what it would take to remove the overspray on the front cowling and yes a properly sieved Bhasma could remove imperfections, why not? Easy to apply, but hard to rub - wrap in a Banian cloth and keep rubbing.

Last edited by suren181 : 23rd September 2008 at 16:56.
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:55   #19
BHPian

Looks like the bike got a polishing job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Turtle Wax
Does a great job of polishing.
I have this 15 years old liquid turtle wax bottle, act i haven't finished it, all that needs too be done is spay, spread, dry and wipe. no effort at all.
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
I may be grossly wrong but something tells me that he would have used a very mild abrasive material to achieve this and my gut feeling leans towards sieved Holy ash, otherwise called as Vibhutior Bhasma.

Sorry if I am grossly wrong, but this is what it would take to remove the overspray on the front cowling and yes a properly sieved Bhasma could remove imperfections, why not?
Holy ash may be useful for chrome parts but not for paint. Silicon glaze i mentioned has soft abrasive material to achieve this without spoiling the paint.
Wax is also good option but it does not last longer but silicon glaze does. It is my personal experience not proven scientifically

Last edited by aka_iitd : 23rd September 2008 at 16:59.
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This is a good polish job SunnyBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi
PS : I have NOT used any wax or polish whatsoever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
I am still - this is much beyond what I had expected him to be able to do.

Good to see a happy camper :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I specifically used two products for the two stages. Both are available in india.

Quote:
I may be grossly wrong but something tells me that he would have used a very mild abrasive material to achieve this and my gut feeling leans towards sieved Holy ash, otherwise called as Vibhuti or Bhasma.
Wrong.
Quote:
Sorry if I am grossly wrong, but this is what it would take to remove the overspray on the front cowling and yes a properly sieved Bhasma could remove imperfections, why not? Easy to apply, but hard to rub - wrap in a Banian cloth and keep rubbing.
have you tried it? With black paint its nothing short of disaster :-)
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Does a great job of polishing.
I have this 15 years old liquid turtle wax bottle, act i haven't finished it, all that needs too be done is spay, spread, dry and wipe. no effort at all.
Yep it does gendarmee. But to remove imperfections like that's visible on the front fairing in the first photos it will take more than just polishing. Rubbing compund is what is required. Turlte Wax has it in it's product range but instead of rubbing compund it's called polishing compound.
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:18   #23
Team-BHP Support

What would work best for the plastics on my Thunderace. A few of them are bare plastics, the turn signals & a part or two of the tail do not have any paint. I have used some spray wax a few times, was wondering if i could do better.
Also, where can i posibly find some good chain wax/spray? The machine oil gets makes the rear tire annoyingly, and more importantly dangerously slippery for the first 30-40 kms after lubricating the chain.

manson.
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm okay so these are the thing that I used.

The joys of shining up a bike!-dscn2377_2.jpg

I used a diluted version of finesse. take some compound, add some water so that it becomes a very watery paste. Then applied it.

Do a readup on the links below.

How To Remove Swirls By Hand - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

As mike explains, passion is very important. More correctly speaking, the right technique. I imitated what the painters do while using the same rubbing compound 2 years ago, the results were sooo disastrous that I swore I'll never use the rubbing compound ever again. Slowly I found different and better uses for it. Then a friend of mine left behind his RX in my hands while he went to singapore. He had a locally painted tank, which was the worst ever paintjob i've seen. So I thought hwat the hell, let me try and experiment on this tank. slowly after some 10 tries, managedto amke the ****ty tank shine so I learnt this technique. Bottom line is, while using rubbing compounds, technique is above all

The one reason why I hadnt posted what I used wa because there will be people who will read it, try and come back crying saying that I did exactly what you said but it ruined my paint. So if anyone ruins their paint, I'm not responsible!

BTW these 2 images of the tank

Obtained these purely by using the rubbing compound.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 23rd September 2008 at 20:42.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turtle Wax and 3M rubbing compunds (few brands call them polishing compund) are good and give a good result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Hmmm okay so these are the thing that I used.

Attachment 52357

I used a diluted version of finesse. take some compound, add some water so that it becomes a very watery paste. Then applied it.
Hmm.. i was pretty close in guessing
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:27   #26
BHPian

Great job sunnyboi, We can see your red trousers in the mirror
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
But to remove imperfections like that's visible on the front fairing in the first photos it will take more than just polishing. Rubbing compund is what is required.
Well, i was kinda praising turtle wax, coz i like it for its ease of use and the finish it renders to the surface.

I do understand that rubbing helps in a different way, cuts the top layer off exposing a new layer, i give the NE a a rubbing polishing job once in 6 months.Takes a good amount of time & effort too!
Thanks for mentioning the turtle polishing compound, didn't know about it. I used the regular one available at any paint shop, susilac or something.
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Great job sunnyboi, We can see your red trousers in the mirror

LOL He wears a "lungi" yaar...
Old 24th September 2008, 08:35   #29
BANNED

SunnyBoi : Amazing job !

What is the price of Turtlewax Scratch Swirl remover ?
Old 24th September 2008, 10:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

320 for a bottle, but kinda hard to find. If you see one, pick it up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks