Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2008, 05:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Deep, Good to see your enthusiasm. I would advise you to not get too worked up about the Bullet mechanicals . Bullet is not going to fry it's valves just like that, so forget about getting nitrided valves etc. You don't need it.

Tappets = Pushrods is the understanding that all newbies get, so don't worry. In bullet, tappets are located inside the timing case, and this is what the cams push up and down. The tappets are connected to the rockers via pushrods(what you mistakenly identified as tappets). When a mech says he is adjusting the tappets, he actually means he is adjusting the play in the pushrods.

I think MotoCamp meant actual tappets and not pushrods and he was referring to the tappet guide and foot.

A 350cc Enfield is not a high tech piece of gadgetry, it is a simple engine, reliable if you take good care of it. Do not attempt too many modifications, I would say. I was in your boat many years back and wanted to do all these stuff and more to my engine(Wonder why most Bullet owners are of this breed? ). If it is to learn, go ahead. Else, ask yourself - What is the purpose and what are you trying to achieve?

Company recommends grease for the gearbox(You should add the correct grade of grease most grease monkeys put in chasis grease as it's easier to pump in). Gear Oil works just fine, or you could use a grease for the initial fill and use oil to top up. Oil leaks easier because the high tolerances inbuilt in the bullet engine and gearbox.

Last edited by kuttapan : 15th November 2008 at 05:46.
Old 16th November 2008, 14:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan
If it is to learn, go ahead. Else, ask yourself - What is the purpose and what are you trying to achieve?
Purpose is - to make the engine more reliable.To reduce the nagging noise from cam gears.To ride the bullet confidently at speeds of 70-80kmph(I really need that much).I hope I had not asked too much from a 6 decade old technology

and thanks Kuttappan for the replies.
Old 16th November 2008, 15:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Purpose is - to make the engine more reliable.To reduce the nagging noise from cam gears.To ride the bullet confidently at speeds of 70-80kmph(I really need that much).I hope I had not asked too much from a 6 decade old technology

and thanks Kuttappan for the replies.
With properly built engine you can ride the Bullet not just at 70 or 80 but even at 100kmph for an extended period of time.

Basically what you need to do for confidence inspiring high speed rides is to have a very strong bottom end. That means the best floating bush (properly machine phosphor bronze), accurately reset crank, very good crank bearings, a very fine conrod (no cracks, dings, no oval big end or small end eye etc etc..), good oil pumps with clear oil passageways, and a crank that has been set in the crankcase with correct tolerances.

Once you have Bullet proofed (pun very much intended ) your bottom end you have very solid foundation to build the top end of the motor on, which means head work, etc etc. Which i suppose you are not anyways gonna do now. But having a solid bottom end is the answer for reliability. Maintain proper oil level and ensure proper oil supply.

Timing side stuff will not generally affect your high speed reliability even if it's noisy. So adjustable cam spindles and stuff are good to have but won't ensure reliability.
Old 16th November 2008, 16:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
phosphor bronze
what we call it in Malayalam?(sorry!) Pichala or "Od" ?
I got pichala valveguides and so far so good.

I am not so confident in opening up every parts to check for reliability.But ,Oil Pump is a sure thing ,I need to check for reliability.I Hope it is working good.

Crank settings may be good.for that ,I may end up opening the whole Engine .
Let Me complete the first section of repair successfully.
Old 17th November 2008, 04:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Deep, I would recommend using OE floating bush(whatever metal it is).

80 kph is a nice cruising speed for a 350cc Bullet and it can keep at it all day.
Old 17th November 2008, 07:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

OE Floating bush is good enough, but you have to be VERY careful with engine oil level. OE floating bush is iron (or steel maybe) core with white metal coating over it.

If you can't get PBronze (don't know what kind of pichala they call this in malayalam), OE is second best option.

Last edited by Sankar : 17th November 2008 at 07:49.
Old 17th November 2008, 10:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
OE Floating bush is good enough, but you have to be VERY careful with engine oil level. OE floating bush is iron (or steel maybe) core with white metal coating over it.

If you can't get PBronze (don't know what kind of pichala they call this in malayalam), OE is second best option.
Frankly Sankar, I don't think phosphor bronze floating bushes are great, but you may have a different take. As you said, Oil is the key with floating bush - regardless of what metal it is made of - else it doesn't float .

You can , of course, enlighten us why the PBronze bush is better.
Old 17th November 2008, 11:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Frankly Sankar, I don't think phosphor bronze floating bushes are great, but you may have a different take. As you said, Oil is the key with floating bush - regardless of what metal it is made of - else it doesn't float .

You can , of course, enlighten us why the PBronze bush is better.
As you have said oil is the key. When the oiling becomes unreliable the floating bush don't float. In such a scenario the OE floating bush with the white metal layer gets damaged quite fast (it flakes off). This will result in accelerated wear and tear of the OE bush and eventually it will have to be replaced soon. But in the case of a phosphor bronze bush the momentary lack of oil doesn't do it much damage and it keeps going as there is no layer of any coating that will wear off.
Old 17th November 2008, 23:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But in the case of a phosphor bronze bush the momentary lack of oil doesn't do it much damage and it keeps going as there is no layer of any coating that will wear off.
I don't know what you mean by a momentary lack of oil, but nothing is going to help if your big end is starved of oil. Whatever metal it is made of, the bush will pack up. I have abused the OE floating bush and have a good opinion about it.
Old 18th November 2008, 00:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by a momentary lack of oil, but nothing is going to help if your big end is starved of oil. Whatever metal it is made of, the bush will pack up. I have abused the OE floating bush and have a good opinion about it.
Depending on the condition of the pump the oil supply may not be constant. This occurs when the spindle is worn out or if the pump is worn out or if the pump can't suck in the oil momentarily, due to oil level or cavitation. Enfield oil pump is a weak link. As you must be knowing, Enfield's oil pump pushes out oil in pulses and in low pressure rather than as a continuous stream with high pressure like a gear pump does.

1) My big end (PBronze) was busted and was making constant loud tak-tak-tak sound from the bottom end. In that condition, I along with my friends from Silver Bullets did a ride from Tvm-Kalhatty-Ooty-Coimabtore-Palghat-Trivandrum. I didn't ride slow i gave it the stick often going much faster than my friend's Bullet 500. When i reached Trivandrum the big end sound is the same as it was when i started. If it was an OE bush it could've packed up.

2) Redfire's 500's OE floating bush packed up at around 20000 kilometers. He replaced it with a bronze (don't know which bronze) and the bottom end is as strong as ever. The bike crossed 55000 kilomters now, more than 30k kilomteres with bronze bush. Bottom end is as healthy as ever.

3) In the garage of my bangalore mechanic there's a white dabba cut out of a big oil can. The dabba is full of OE white metal floating bushes in different stages of wear and tear.

And white metal bushes is easier to manufacture than machine out bronze bushes from bronze ingots. Those who always wanted to Bullet proof their bottom end chose bronze bushes. Bronze will last long and will not give up as quick as OE.

Last edited by Sankar : 18th November 2008 at 00:13.
Old 18th November 2008, 21:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I agree .the floating bush is dependable, like most things mechanical it fails not because of itself.

if you make sure oil pressure is good which is pretty easy, it can and will outlast a roller bearing and bronze bush.

The enfield oil pump is a positive pressure feed system and the feed pump is double acting and ensures an even feed to the critical floating bush.

I have used many enfield and have never worn out a floating bush.I even use a oe floating bush on my drag bike(monster dog)with no prblems what so ever.

stick to the oe floating bush.

It easy for mechanics to sell better than stock miracle parts, everybody wants to believe they have better than stock vehicles hence the thriving aftermarket buisness.
Old 19th November 2008, 01:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @sankar ,@motocamp ,@kuttappan .
Now this Float Oil Bush ?whats the lafda?Isnt you people talking about bronze cut valveguides?
--
Now Just came to my native from Coimbatore.
I brought what I had quoted earlier - except Saree Guard(not sure whether it will fit) and Horizontal de-compression lever from Lachu automobiles ,gandhipuram.The Owner Guy is a Bull Enthusiast ,Punjabi guy called Soni .He is selling Old "Cycle" like Spring loaded seats etc to many people.
90% of his customers are from Kerala ,especially the mechanics and bull freaks from near to Ernakulam.(I met few of them).
Quote:
1)CamWheel OEM -2 no.s
2)Centre gear - 1 no.s
3)Side washers -4 no.s
4)Head Gasket -1 no.s
5)Rocker arm packing - 2 no.s
6) Timing case packing - 1 no.s
7)Shock absorber Oil Seal - 2 no.s
8)Oil Filter - 1 no.
9) Adjustable Cam Spindle - 1 set (already bought).

In Total costed me Rs1800/- .I dont know how to check the "new" cam gears for lash and all.

So ,Tomorrow I will be going to give it to the mechanic ,if Possible.Hope He can finish the work soon.

Last edited by deepclutch : 19th November 2008 at 01:10.
Old 19th November 2008, 04:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depending on the condition of the pump the oil supply may not be constant. This occurs when the spindle is worn out or if the pump is worn out or if the pump can't suck in the oil momentarily, due to oil level or cavitation. Enfield oil pump is a weak link. As you must be knowing, Enfield's oil pump pushes out oil in pulses and in low pressure rather than as a continuous stream with high pressure like a gear pump does.
Ok I got it. btw, The correct term for the Bullet oil pump is positive displacement oil pump.

Quote:
1) My big end (PBronze) was busted and was making constant loud tak-tak-tak sound from the bottom end. In that condition, I along with my friends from Silver Bullets did a ride from Tvm-Kalhatty-Ooty-Coimabtore-Palghat-Trivandrum. I didn't ride slow i gave it the stick often going much faster than my friend's Bullet 500. When i reached Trivandrum the big end sound is the same as it was when i started. If it was an OE bush it could've packed up.
This is like the grandpa who said to his grandson - Look, I am as strong as I was 50 years ago. See that BIG stone in the corner? I couldn't lift it then and neither can I do it now.(regarding the sound part) You are assuming that OE bush would have packed up, or done worse. I am saying it would have performed similar, if not better.

Quote:
2) Redfire's 500's OE floating bush packed up at around 20000 kilometers. He replaced it with a bronze (don't know which bronze) and the bottom end is as strong as ever. The bike crossed 55000 kilomters now, more than 30k kilomteres with bronze bush. Bottom end is as healthy as ever.

3) In the garage of my bangalore mechanic there's a white dabba cut out of a big oil can. The dabba is full of OE white metal floating bushes in different stages of wear and tear.
We all go by our individual perceptions/experiences so let us just agree to disagree. What say?

Last edited by kuttapan : 19th November 2008 at 05:05.
Old 19th November 2008, 08:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
I agree .the floating bush is dependable, like most things mechanical it fails not because of itself.

if you make sure oil pressure is good which is pretty easy, it can and will outlast a roller bearing and bronze bush.

The enfield oil pump is a positive pressure feed system and the feed pump is double acting and ensures an even feed to the critical floating bush.
Could you please explain the 'double acting pump' part?

RE pump is a volume pump not pressure pump.

Which roller bearing did you use at the big end?

Quote:
I have used many enfield and have never worn out a floating bush.I even use a oe floating bush on my drag bike(monster dog)with no prblems what so ever.

stick to the oe floating bush.

It easy for mechanics to sell better than stock miracle parts, everybody wants to believe they have better than stock vehicles hence the thriving aftermarket buisness.
Maybe that's why people who are building high output Bullets in the west use Alpha Roller Bearings at the big end.

OT: I saw the you tube video of the bike. How much is the drag bike doing at the end of Quarter mile now? Top speed? Just curious to know.

Last edited by Sankar : 19th November 2008 at 08:06.
Old 19th November 2008, 08:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok I got it. btw, The correct term for the Bullet oil pump is positive displacement oil pump.
I know that.

And i have seen few guys adapting the AVL engine's timing cover to the CI bullet for the need of a better oil pump and oiling system.

Quote:
This is like the grandpa who said to his grandson - Look, I am as strong as I was 50 years ago. See that BIG stone in the corner? I couldn't lift it then and neither can I do it now.(regarding the sound part) You are assuming that OE bush would have packed up, or done worse. I am saying it would have performed similar, if not better.
Ok If that was the case then redfire wouldn't have had to replace his Bull500's OE floating bush at Tirunelveli while on the way to Kodaikanal.

Now read again what i said in my previous post about how Granpa did with the PB big end.

Quote:
We all go by our individual perceptions/experiences so let us just agree to disagree. What say?
Dude, i'm not here to prove anything. If someone ask something I advise based upon my experience and what i have come across. So if you have any Granpa stories that taught you something else then fine. When you say something like "it would've performed similar" i hope you must've compared OE with bronze. I say it wouldn't, because it didn't.

Phosphor Bronze
"Above Material Possesses Good Anti Friction Properties Combined with Plasticity & Suitable for Heavy Loaded applications being applied where Lubrication is doubtful."

Phosphor Bronze Bushes, Phosphor Bronze Parts, Gun Metal Bushes, Gun Metal Parts, Du Dry Lubricated Bushes, Dx Dry Lubricated Bushes, Du Dry Lubricated Washers, Dx Dry Lubricated Washers, Sintered Bronze, Iron Sintered Self Lubricated Bushes, Iron Si

Last edited by Sankar : 19th November 2008 at 08:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks