Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 08:10   #16
BHPian

The Electra electric start model comes with a 14ah Exide battery. No idea about the cost. Must be well above 1500rs as 9ah battery itself costs 1500rs.
Old 12th November 2008, 13:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Is Amaron doing the right thing by giving VRLA batteries for motorcycles ?

The properties of VRLA and the flooded lead acid batteries are totally different .

I would advise anyone against buying a VRLA battery for automotive purposes ,except for the electric bikes .( I know amaron might have tested , validated , but , I still have apprehensions about the product and would advise atleast waiting for a year until the battery has proven itself .

When the VRLA battery dries up due to over voltage ,temperature it has to be thrown off .

Also I head that the amaron batteries for motorcycles were bigger than the brackets and who ever had designed the battery had got the worng dimensions and they were introduced sometime back and were silently withdrawn off the shelfs .
can you please elaborate on the comments by giving proof? man you can get in trouble with the law with such irresponsible comments. so watch it.
Old 13th November 2008, 00:11   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
can you please elaborate on the comments by giving proof? man you can get in trouble with the law with such irresponsible comments. so watch it.
my first question would be why are there so many different kinds ,types of batteries ? There are VRLA , Flooded lead acid , Inverter batteries .

IN a UPS the maximum charging voltage would be 13.8 and this voltage is kept to such a level so as to not heat up the battery internally while getting charged .When more voltage is applied the battery heats up ,more hydrogen is released and the valves open to release the excess hydrogen produced . when the battery is charged within its specs then the hydrogen combines with the oxygen released and this becomes water . SMF VRLA are also known as regenerative batteries .

The intial power delivery is high but for a relatively short duration in a SMF VRLA battery .

In a flooded lead acid battery charging voltages can go upto 14.5 volts.Since most of the current needed from the battery is when the car or bike is cranked ,the plates of the battery are more but are thin so that they can supply the current required for cranking .

IN inverters the charging voltage is again 14.5 V max and since these batteries are used in a standby environment they need to supply a steady discharge of current and these batteries have thicker and bigger plates compared to a automotive battery . That is the reason they can be deeply discharged and recharged .

Now coming to the point if a SMF VRLA battery was used in a 2 wheeler then the battery must be able to withstand the 14.4 v charge and SMF battery should be able to deliver high levels of current required for cranking .

That was the reason why I made it a point to wait until the battery has proved itself before anyone buys it .

I deal with the Quanta range and I have the brochure indicating the "recharge characteristics "
It says at 27deg C the float voltage must be 13.50 and boost voltage must be 13.80 clearly .

In India ambient temp can reach 45 deg C and it would be always 8 deg more inside the battery when not being charged .That means 45+8 = 53 deg C . Temperature is very important for a battery . When the battery is being charged the voltage will increase . I do not see how a SMF VRLA would really stand the kind of temperatures .

If you think my comments were irresponsible and unjustified ,then pls do correct me . I am always willing to learn .

So for the batteries being withdrawn , I do not see them on the shelfs anymore ,atleast in chennai .

Another Important announcement would be ORBITAL batteries would be launched by the end of NOvember . Whoever was/is interested in OPTIMA ,now can get ORBITAL at any prestolite dealerships .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 13th November 2008 at 00:18.
Old 13th November 2008, 07:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

greatmana, haven't the Amaraon maintenance free batteries proved itself in the automobile sector. Aren't their two wheeler batteries based on the same technology as their automobile batteries? Doesn't the heat and temperature range affect tose batteries as well?
Old 13th November 2008, 09:17   #20
BHPian

the battery you need is a 12v 14 amp cranking battery.The exide battery which is now used is called exide backer.if you pick up any other battery make sure it has the same specs .it has to be a 12v 14 amp cranking battery.

before you change the battery i advise you to check the relay terminals, the relay and the starter itself as it is not very realiable.
Old 13th November 2008, 10:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
the battery you need is a 12v 14 amp cranking battery.The exide battery which is now used is called exide backer.if you pick up any other battery make sure it has the same specs .it has to be a 12v 14 amp cranking battery.

before you change the battery i advise you to check the relay terminals, the relay and the starter itself as it is not very realiable.
Could you please tell the difference between a normal battery and Exide Backer one?
Old 13th November 2008, 12:51   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
greatmana, haven't the Amaraon maintenance free batteries proved itself in the automobile sector. Aren't their two wheeler batteries based on the same technology as their automobile batteries? Doesn't the heat and temperature range affect tose batteries as well?

The amaron maintenance free are good bateries . Those batteries are not totally maintenance free though . You still have to maintian those batteries . Those batteries are based on "FLOODED LEAD ACID " technology and the motor cycle batteries are SMF VRLA .

The characteristics and properties of the batteries are totally diferent .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 13th November 2008 at 12:52.
Old 13th November 2008, 13:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

But i'm still not convinced about VRLA batteries being not good for two wheeler applications. Almost all superbike batteries are VRLA batteries.
Old 13th November 2008, 16:39   #24
BANNED

Well superbikes have alternators and most probably their charging voltage is limited to 13.60 .Super bikes have specific batteries and their electricals are thus designed . Indian bikes on the other hand are designed for lead acid batteries and probably their charging voltage must be around 14.5 v max .
Old 13th October 2009, 11:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post

I have bought the battery (Exide Backer-12v-14amp), but the battery is not taking the load of self. when i press self, it does Tick-tick in from the side box (it has a small relay) but self does not work. when checked the battery is show 12.65 charging. what could be the prob here? Any Help
Old 13th October 2009, 11:46   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
The amaron maintenance free are good bateries . Those batteries are not totally maintenance free though . You still have to maintian those batteries . Those batteries are based on "FLOODED LEAD ACID " technology and the motor cycle batteries are SMF VRLA .

The characteristics and properties of the batteries are totally diferent .
I got my bike an Amaron in January.
The battery died in May. Promptly replaced by the dealer with a new Amaron.

This new battery is now dying.

Can you please clarify on the
not totally maintenance free
part.
What should I do with it.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I got my bike an Amaron in January.
The battery died in May. Promptly replaced by the dealer with a new Amaron.

This new battery is now dying.

Can you please clarify on the
not totally maintenance free
part.
What should I do with it.

Amaron do not make 12V-14Amp battery and self start bullets works with 12V-14Amp batter.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:19   #28
BANNED

Why not combine 2 Amaron battery of either 5 or 9 amps in parallel to make 10 or 18 amps power plant?Seen how bulls self takes out juice from battery.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
I have bought the battery (Exide Backer-12v-14amp), but the battery is not taking the load of self. when i press self, it does Tick-tick in from the side box (it has a small relay) but self does not work. when checked the battery is show 12.65 charging. what could be the prob here? Any Help
What is an Exide Backer battery?? I tried the exide website but couldn't find anything listed as an Exide Backer in the two wheeler section. Btw Exide website sucks.

Tick tick sound can be due to a faulty relay. So check that out.

If the relay is okay swap the battery with a regular 12v 14Ah motorcycle battery and see if it starts.

The one that i've seen come OE in the ES Electra is a violet/purple coloured 12v 14AH Exide battery.

You could've gone for a regular 12V-14Ah two-wheeler battery from any of the good manufacturers.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:28   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
Amaron do not make 12V-14Amp battery and self start bullets works with 12V-14Amp batter.
My bike is a 2003 model.
No self start in it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks