Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 10:29   #31
BHPian

I start my TB in a very usual 100c way- i kick it once, it goes blank, i kick it again, it comes to life. When the compression is not right, i do use the decomp, but thats very rare.

Hey Shankar,
I would like to know how you increased the compression of your bull ? what did you raise it to ? how does one calculate/measure the compression ?
Old 4th December 2008, 11:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Looks like I have ruffled quite a few feathers here. I didn't mean to suggest that starting a Bullet with your hand on the kickstarter is a macho thing to do!! My goodness, I would be damned if my definition of macho became doing something as weird as that.
I just tried to highlight the fact how easy it actually is, contrary to popular perception. Incidentally there is another popular misconception with Bullet that pulling it up on the main stand is a champion weightlifter's job. Which it actually is not, if the angle of the pull is correct. Anyway, too much off topic.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

so ,hidden feeling is ,by using bullet you are a macho;eh? .
Old 4th December 2008, 12:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Deepclutch
That used to be the feeling before I bought the Bullet. But after riding it I realised that there is nothing macho about it - you don't need any physical strength to use it. It just looks muscular because of the bulgy shape of its tank and the battery cover etc - that's all. In fact if it needed muscles to start, ride and park I wouldn't be able to use it, because I have no muscle !! The only time when you need some muscle with a Bullet is when you hit a large pothole at high speed and get disbalanced.
My love for the Bullet is rooted to my childhood memories of it, its sound and its heritage. Nothing macho anywhere.
Also, I love the feeling of riding a piece of history. When I ride it it reminds me of the bygone era for which it was designed. I love those slow things about its design - pulling it up on the main stand itself being one.
Incidentally I ride it for leisure only.
Old 4th December 2008, 14:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

don't want to start a new thread
--
Is there any BIG difference in engine design for military bullets and civilian ones ?apart from precision tolerance that madras factory will supposed to meet.

Is there still new Bullets made for army?what is the benefit of bullets for army when 2008 better models of motorcycles are available which are much better and very much reliable(tssk zma?).
Old 4th December 2008, 15:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Cool atleast someone agrees that riding a Bullet is not a macho thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
what is the benefit of bullets for army when 2008 better models of motorcycles are available which are much better and very much reliable(tssk zma?).
Too much plastic
Old 6th December 2008, 10:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

I've rarely had starting problems with my BULL. I sometimes go to Church at 5:30 AM in winter, and all it needs is a plus charge on the ammeter (using the decompression lever) a bit of choke and 1 firm fearless kick.

I've heard a lot about BULL kick-backs, about how guys have busted their knees on the BULL's handle bars and how they've broken their ankles, but either my legs are stong, or I have some hidden gift or my BULL loves me a lot, the kick-backs have never been violent.

One thing I noticed, after a general service, the bike is hard to start for a few days, then everything falls into place.
Old 6th December 2008, 11:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

5 - 6 warm up kicks holding decomp lever will give better effect. Next kick will start the bullet with no hickups.

Dwarak
Old 6th December 2008, 11:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
5 - 6 warm up kicks holding decomp lever will give better effect. Next kick will start the bullet with no hickups.

Dwarak
It is actually getting started without any pain in 3-4 kicks once i got the fuel supply corrected from the tank to the carb. and i am not using the decomp lever (its stuck, doesnt move).
Old 7th December 2008, 08:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I've heard a lot about BULL kick-backs, about how guys have busted their knees on the BULL's handle bars and how they've broken their ankles, but either my legs are stong, or I have some hidden gift or my BULL loves me a lot, the kick-backs have never been violent.
Your Bullet's timing is retarded than normal, or you are kicking it the right way, every time(probability tells me it cannot be true). If you have a CB point ignition, advance the timing a bit and ride for a few days. It should give a solid kickback at some point.

If RE knew how to eliminate kickback altogether, they wouldn't have so much sprag clutch issues with their electric starters.
Old 7th December 2008, 08:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

My Bull got solid back kicks .I hope it is related to the health of engine also?<-enna parayunnu @kuttappan?
Old 7th December 2008, 12:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Bull got solid back kicks .I hope it is related to the health of engine also?<-enna parayunnu @kuttappan?
It just shows your bull is alive and kicking. My bull kicks people who try to milk it. They don't understand that only cows can be milked. Anyway ........
Old 8th December 2008, 04:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmmm...It is not a totally wrong assumption, but I do not think kickback is an important parameter in judging engine health(A spark plug reading would be a far better indicator). More of an indication of timing, rather.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Hmmmm...It is not a totally wrong assumption, but I do not think kickback is an important parameter in judging engine health(A spark plug reading would be a far better indicator). More of an indication of timing, rather.
Kuttapan could you please throw some light on the spark plug indication?? how it is done?
Old 8th December 2008, 10:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrage911 View Post
Kuttapan could you please throw some light on the spark plug indication?? how it is done?

I was about to ask Kuttapan the same

btw make sure the decomp cables are in good shape mine had got jammed which i was not aware of for a long time...i had to suffer a lot with kick backs and starting trouble.... but once the cable is fixed its sooo easy to start...even in early morning it starts with a single kick!

Most Viewed