Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 00:10   #1
BHPian

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)

Hey everybody,

Yes, finally, finally i am destined to have my RD, its been a 3 years long wait for me, sometimes due to lack of funds, sometimes had the fund but couldnt spend, and most of the time didnt find the right 1, but not this time..

Rough specs
RD 83' LT
1st oversize .25( just got it done last week, so will have to take it easy for atleast 2000kms)
Running on points
TKR pistons
speedo/tacho got it matte painted, working condition, just need to be mounted on the bike, will get it done tomorrow.

The oil pump is functional, but im adding 2T in the fuel tank too, 20ml per liter( new pistons), no wonder she is smoking too much,

The only thing i found a little odd was the battery was not getting charged, as the lights were getting dim over time,maybe i need to ride her for some miles. will keep a check on that.

I'll let the pics do the talking....
Attached Thumbnails
Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-dsc03411.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-dsc03412.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-dsc03413.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-dsc03414.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-dsc03415.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-dsc03416.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-dsc03417.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-dsc03418.jpg  

hormaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2008, 00:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest congratulations buddy! Enjoy and ride safe.
Old 5th December 2008, 04:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

nice bike seems to be good over all. how does it run. try to get a CDI conversion done. change the handel bar it is of a bullet standard. get a RD 350 handel har.

Congrats
Old 5th December 2008, 05:30   #4
BHPian

Congrats bro.Awesome bike.Truly the champ of all 2 strokers.Superb colour too.
Old 5th December 2008, 05:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
try to get a CDI conversion done.
I guess that would be a subjective matter. Many of us still love to ride on the CB points. They are a little troublesome but a lot more fun.
Old 5th December 2008, 10:37   #6
BHPian

Congrats hormaz. She looks real nice & from what you've posts, sounds like she's in a good condition. Your hands will be itching to open the throttle for those 2k kms
Old 5th December 2008, 10:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great! Congrats dude. I took my bike an year back after much longer than your wait-time.

Here is my RD350

Before restoration
Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-j.jpg.jpg

After restoration
Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-h.jpg.jpg
Old 5th December 2008, 11:07   #8
BHPian

I rode an RD for 10 years. Awesome bike. Stupid of me I sold it about 8 yrs ago for a price of 17k. (I had bought it for 16k though.) But that is the greatest regret of my life.
Old 5th December 2008, 11:08   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys,

@desideep- well she is pulling fine, but im not opening the throttle on her as yet. will keep her well below 3k rpm. regarding the cdi kit, well i dont think i would be going for it as of now.

@ insaneroller- oh yes, they surely are.

@ trammway- oh she looks great, whats the specs like.
Old 5th December 2008, 14:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hormaz View Post
Thanks guys,
@trammway- oh she looks great, whats the specs like.
Well, My RD350 is 1991 LT with 2nd over size .50 pistons and the barrels are unsleeved. Running with RX135 CDI and I'm not regretting my choice. It does well infact.

At once I reached 140+, though it is seen on the analogue meters there may be some error but it is above 130+ for sure.

Rest of my RD is stock and front mudguard is Rajdoot 175's and recently I changed that too of RXZ model

Most of the parts I use are OE parts. thought the prices of OE items are sky rocking, but I still collect and have a room full of them.
Old 6th December 2008, 16:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post

Most of the parts I use are OE parts. thought the prices of OE items are sky rocking, but I still collect and have a room full of them.
All i can say is keep in touch, trammway.

I noticed my fuel keeps on falling drop by drop even after the fuel is switched off,

any suggestions?
Old 6th December 2008, 21:56   #12
BHPian

Hey Hormaz,

Congrats on the buy - the bike looks beautiful and the exhaust pipes particularly look awesome. Keep her on points itself (adjusting the timing is not difficult if checked weekly).

It must be a great feeling to finally own one after a 3 year wait (which might have felt like an eternity to you), right?

Do not worry about spares as they are hard to find but not impossible. Meet up sometime...

Posting a pic of few of our group's RDs here (and mine is the blue one). We have a meet tomorrow. If it turns out to be successful, will cram the thread with pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-img_0593.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-img_0866.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-img_0867.jpg  

Thought I would never get mine (RD350)-img_0846.jpg  

Last edited by turbo_v12 : 6th December 2008 at 21:59.
Old 7th December 2008, 00:03   #13
BHPian

hey turbo_v12, the bike looks awsome, so where are u having a meet, i'll make it some other day, but yeah do posts some pics if it happens,

1st thing i might change is the handle bar, right now its bullet's bar that i have, would like to have the original 1.

today while on my way back, i noticed that the bike heats up too much in traffic, dont know if its normal, and i have to switch of the petrol flow some 500 meters before i reach my destination, or else it keeps on dropping fuel.

can anybody tell me whats the capacity of the 2T oil tank, and which 1 is the best.
Old 7th December 2008, 07:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hormaz View Post
today while on my way back, i noticed that the bike heats up too much in traffic, dont know if its normal, and i have to switch of the petrol flow some 500 meters before i reach my destination, or else it keeps on dropping fuel.

can anybody tell me whats the capacity of the 2T oil tank, and which 1 is the best.
You could probably get your timing checked - the advance in your points ignition might be causing the bike to overheat. Also check the main & pilot jet size of the carb (ensure they are not way over the stock specs, if they are, that is).

You will have to ensure the 2T oil tank is regularly topped up. Also, keep adding something like 10-15 ml of oil with petrol so that the engine does not seize in case the oil tank fails.
Old 7th December 2008, 09:23   #15
BHPian

hormaz bro RDs tend to heat up in traffic owning to it being a twin but anyway do check what turbo v12 is saying i.e. timing and jetting.

on the subject of oil and oil pump. please switch to premix . too many RD owners have blown up their engines because of depending on the oil pump . just not worth it. let the oil pump be , switch to pre mix , dump the oil pump or you will live to regret it . serious .

with regards to the best oil . Castrol Jettx ( the silver bottle with the see thru level marker on the side ) is the best 2T oil manufactured locally. A little more expensive from the rest but worth it. around 300 bucks a litre.

Among imports the best would undoubtedly be Motul 800 but it is quite expensive. around 700 bucks for a litre.

I think the best compromise between the two is Petronas 2T oil . I think their fully synthetic 2T retails for around 350 bucks .

These oils are might not be available at evey tom dick and harry store , you might have to search for them a bit .

All the best .

ps: dump the pump

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 7th December 2008 at 09:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks