Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 17:41   #46
BANNED

1. The Samurai came before the Shogun, not after.
2. There was an 11 BHP version of the Supra that was sold before the Samurai was launched.
Old 16th February 2009, 19:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
2. There was an 11 BHP version of the Supra that was sold before the Samurai was launched.
HRAG Shogun came first and then later came Samurai and then once Shogun stopped, the Shaolin started
Old 16th February 2009, 19:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
My dear friend,
1. The Suzuki Samurai was launched after the shogun in late 1994. The shogun was launched in 1993.
I interact closely with the TVS guys and even know the man behind the shogun
2. The 11bhp version was the same Supra SS kit minus the expansion chamber.
Old 16th February 2009, 20:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
HRAG Shogun came first and then later came Samurai and then once Shogun stopped, the Shaolin started
Errr, this is all again a major confusion.
Ok, let me clear this now
The following is the life span of the Suzuki 2-stroke bikes.
Shogun - 1993 - March 2000
Samurai - Late 1994 - June 2002
Shaolin - July 1997 - March 2000

In 1999, the older Suzuki Shaolin recieved a facelift with ceriani front forks, plastic mudguard (on front, body colored), new CDI/magneto, Gear indicator, New console and shoved a CAT.

TVS was just due to launch their new bike called "Shaolin HP" aka "suzuki Shadow" in 2000 but then the company decided to go green and quit 2-strokes. It was a 16bhp, 140cc, 5-speed version of the shogun. Basically a re-tuned shaolin.

I'm an ex-shaolin owner
fieroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2009, 22:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Later the Suzuki Shaolin with a TVS-inhouse designed gearbox was launched. CC now upped to 138, the shaolin was the big-bore of the original AX platform.
Shaolin and shogun were phased as part of TVS' new emission reformations in 2000.
Did Shalolin replace Samurai or was in in addition to. I think it was launched for emmission purposes? Same bodywork as teh Samurai? There was some wierd rule that allowed you to emit more if the engine was bigger.

I remember all the 2 strokes went to higher displacement, RX100 became 135, KB100 became 125 and Samurai100 became 140....buttt performance was no better !!!
Old 16th February 2009, 22:57   #51
BANNED

I could have sworn that the Samurai came first (late '92) but maybe my memory is getting rusty. I still remember my first test ride of the Shogun at Bridgestone Motors, Rajaji Nagar, though. The first lot of the Shogun came without the tacho and the same console as the rest of the 2-strokes from the TVS stable.

Please don't talk about the "Shogun Shadow" - TVS broke my heart by not releasing that bike.

Mpower - the RX100 was replaced by the RXG and later by the RX135. While the RXG was a disappointment (to many), the RX135 was a cracker of a bike (Yamaha got it right this time after the original RX100). The KB125 had much, much better performance than the KB100 where it mattered in the city, in the 0-70 kph range. The Shaolin came with stupid tyres for the power the engine generated but TVS was trying to be eco-friendly.

If you look closely, all TVS 2-strokers have the same (OK, very very similar) body panels with different paint jobs. The MAX100 / MAX100R are exempted from this specific discussion.

Apologies for going nostalgic but as Sameer Kumar (ex-BSM) once said - two's company. And four's a bore.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Did Shalolin replace Samurai or was in in addition to. I think it was launched for emmission purposes? Same bodywork as teh Samurai? There was some wierd rule that allowed you to emit more if the engine was bigger.

I remember all the 2 strokes went to higher displacement, RX100 became 135, KB100 became 125 and Samurai100 became 140....buttt performance was no better !!!
Shaolin, samurai and shogun are three seperate models. The shaolin was an addition to the Shogun and samurai.
The Samurai is the original AX100 with panels borrowed from the Shogun.
Shogun is nothing but a 10cc big-bore with larger ports/reed induction/carb/gearbox of the original AX100 again. The crankcases are the same on the samurai/shogun/AX100, except the shaolin coz of the larger gear shifter/shaft (5-speed box).

yes, larger capacity 2-strokes were less peaky and hence emissions were lower. A shaolin would pollute a lot lesser than the shogun.
But its only in the stock form that the shaolin feels bland over the shogun. In the full race trim level, a blown shaolin will blow the day lights off the shogun.
A shogun feels a lot stressed over the shaolin.
I used to ride around a Shadow for a month and it had a TVS racing team fitted Digital CDI/race magneto. The bike would feel relaxed at 100kmph and the whole bike was no match to the stock shaolin. A modified shogun on the other hand would feel like its begging for mercy.

@hrag - In 92, the shogun was first previewed to the public and rallyists especially. "THE BOSS" was all bang-on targetted at the RX100. In stock trim, the shogun was a bomb. The power band and the feel is something else.
fieroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2009, 14:27   #53
BANNED

Quote:
IPlease don't talk about the "Shogun Shadow" - TVS broke my heart by not releasing that bike.
+1

For a ex Shogun owner this was the only other bike i could have sold the Shogun for. But it never happened.

We got a test ride in 98 or late 97 i am not sure of the year and we were hooked.

Quote:
I used to ride around a Shadow for a month and it had a TVS racing team fitted Digital CDI/race magneto.
Talk about luck. Did TVS actually start production of this bike?

I was told that they did sell some in TN, i have never seen one though.
Old 17th February 2009, 16:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
+1

Talk about luck. Did TVS actually start production of this bike?

I was told that they did sell some in TN, i have never seen one though.
One of us owns a Shadow/Shaolin HP. This is a race Kitted bike from factory, a specially made to order bike for the son of a top-manager at TVS.
Old 17th February 2009, 16:27   #55
BANNED

Quote:
One of us owns a Shadow/Shaolin HP. This is a race Kitted bike from factory, a specially made to order bike for the son of a top-manager at TVS.
Ah... to have a dad at the right position in the right company. Race kitted bike for street use?

My dad was a Zonal Manager in a bank and the best thing i got was a Savings Bank Account Number of my choice

Last edited by Spitfire : 17th February 2009 at 16:30.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2009, 22:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had heard about it when the shadow was under so called testing phase, So you know this person, can you please post photos, ofcourse with he owner permission..Would love to see this.
Whats shaolin HP? never heard about it.
I know about the shadow, Had seen one , there was a small batch of shadows produced ,pre production batch don't know what happened to them.
TVS was good at tempting people before the 2 storks where dieing They had plans to launch 350 tiwn. that was the last heart break I could take from TVS ,than shifted to stupid Pulsar.

BY the ways all the bore increases in 2 stroke where for emission regulation.
KB125cc,shaolin 138cc,Yamaha 135cc [RXG,RXZ,etc] the last avatar of this was 14 bhp though.

Last edited by dinar : 17th February 2009 at 23:12.
Old 17th February 2009, 23:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I could have sworn that the Samurai came first (late '92) but maybe my memory is getting rusty.
+1 to that. I too think the Samurai came first.

When I bought my Samurai in 1995/96, the AX100 (the regular shaped model), the Shogun (high pickup - low mileage) and Samurai (Orange and black, tall and trendy) were all in the market. Samurai and AX100 had that unique delectable purr. I know there were some more colours as green and pink that came on Samurai later, but it was orange and black that was the trademark.

I have my Samurai to date.
Old 17th February 2009, 23:50   #58
Team-BHP Support

During my first year in Team-BHP, I was asked at least by couple of members about which model year Samurai I had. At that time I was barely aware of a bike by that name. My username has nothing to do with the bike. Instead it was based on Japanese swordsmanship, I have used it since 2002 in other forums.

But I am glad I started this thread to address a doubt, it has drew out so much rare info on these bikes.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:37   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
+1 to that. I too think the Samurai came first.

Like I said earlier, the shogun was launched in 1993 and Samurai in 1994. If you want, I can get you the exact launch dates on this.

@Dinar - The Shaolin HP is nothing but the suzuki Shadow.
I used to ride and the bike and one of my friend owns it now. No big deal to get the pics. Wil click sometime.
Old 18th February 2009, 14:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

@fieroid, is the shadow with the complete kit , that TVS showcase, alloys,disc brake p front,etc? Is it a shaolin kited, or a shadow itself?
great waiting for the pics.

Last edited by dinar : 18th February 2009 at 14:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks