Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 12:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Was there a Suzuki Samurai bike? (Not Ind or TVS make)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
PS: Why do you call you bike as Suzuki Samurai, the only Samurai every made by Suzuki is a 4WD vehicle, a cousin of our Maruti Gypsy. People in glass houses...
The Samurai which i own is a 9yrs old bike which was indeed a Suzuki built in the factory of TVS when they had signed a deal with them.

We need to question Suzuki why they used the name Suzuki Samurai for the bike when they had a SUV in the same name

The one's which came later was TVS-Suzuki

(I guess this discussion was not required)

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 12:17.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
We need to question Suzuki why they used the name Suzuki Samurai for the bike when they had a SUV in the same name
The Indian made bikes with Suzuki collaboration were either Ind-Suzuki or TVS-Suzuki, not just Suzuki, I don't remember seeing just Suzuki logo. We will question them only if you had a pure Suzuki Samurai without Ind or TVS prefix.

Quote:
(I guess this discussion was not required)
Exactly. When the original poster said Jeep, I am sure he meant Jeep as generally accepted sense, that is MM series, CJ/CL series, and their ancestors. Once you start broadening or narrowing the definition, then it only leads to arguments.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Indian made bikes with Suzuki collaboration were either Ind-Suzuki or TVS-Suzuki, not just Suzuki, I don't remember seeing just Suzuki logo. We will question them only if you had a pure Suzuki Samurai without Ind or TVS prefix.
Yes mine is a Suzuki Samurai and not a Ind or TVS and my bike do have a Only Suzuki embossed on the petrol tank, the RC book is also shows has Suzuki Samurai

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 12:58.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just to clear the point in case: Suzuki had Suzuki Samurai initially before it went into the JV and changed the name later! My Cousin had an Suzuki red bike with the same badging!!
Also to add, the first batch of Suzuki bikes lasted longer than the later contraptions with 'Ind or TVS' prefixes.

Last edited by getsurya : 13th February 2009 at 13:05.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Samurai for opening the thread and never requested for the new thread to be open on this issue and it was only for your clarification i did post the real things on that thread saying the Suzuki Samurai bike did EXIST.

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 13:15.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

That's very interesting. I remember seeing IND-SUZUKI bikes in early mid-80s. Then there was TVS-Suzuki, when did that happen? How is gowda79 having a pure Suzuki Samurai which is only 9 years old?

Did Suzuki manufacture bikes in India prior to any JV with Indian partner?

However I strongly feel that the name Suzuki Samurai was chosen by some clueless Indian executive who didn't realise there was a popular Samurai 4x4 vehcile already from the Suzuki stable.

Quote:
Thanks Samurai for opening the thread and never requested for the new thread to be open on this issue
I couldn't leave this OT discussion in the Jeep thread.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th February 2009 at 13:17.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's very interesting. I remember seeing IND-SUZUKI bikes in early mid-80s. Then there was TVS-Suzuki, when did that happen? How is gowda79 having a pure Suzuki Samurai which is only 9 years old?

However I strongly feel that the name Suzuki Samurai was chosen by some clueless Indian executive who didn't realise there was a popular Samurai 4x4 vehcile already from the Suzuki stable.
I guess you need to turn the book of history in the bikes, i do not think just an executive can take a decision to name the bike SUZUKI SAMURAI

I do not think Suzuki has gone mad to not to sue the person who has made this mistake to name the vehicle if it was without the concern of the officials in Suzuki.

I guess you would have seen the advertisement of the Japanese guy saying the favourite line - Suzuki Samurai the bike with no problem.

I guess this should sort out your doubts.

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 13:26.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

IIRC It was IND-Suzuki then TVS-Suzuki & then only Suzuki.

The Samurai, Shaolin, Shogun & Fiero had only Suzuki as logo & no mention of TVS although they were sold from the TVS outlets.

EDIT: See the pics below

Was there a Suzuki Samurai bike? (Not Ind or TVS make)-shogun.jpg

Was there a Suzuki Samurai bike? (Not Ind or TVS make)-fiero.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th February 2009 at 13:38.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is gowda79 having a pure Suzuki Samurai which is only 9 years old?
Oops Samurai on the Samurai thread: ,

Quote:
I guess you need to turn the book of history in the bikes, i do not think just an executive can take a decision to name the bike SUZUKI SAMURAI

I do not think Suzuki has gone mad to not to sue the person who has made this mistake to name the vehicle if it was without the concern of the officials in Suzuki.

I guess you would have seen the advertisement of the Japanese guy saying the favourite line - Suzuki Samurai the bike with no problem.

I guess this should sort out your doubts.
IMO, Samurai in this case is just the sub branding of the vehicle or class or vehicle. The Samurai 4x4 and the Samurai Suzuki in India belong to different class of vehicles and should not be a cause of concern, atleast to the people at Suzuki.

All fireworks start iff Honda or Yamaha ad a bike branded Honda Samurai or
Yamaha Samurai or whatever!!

Oh me, the only Samurai I know is Sharat Shetty of Mangalore fame!
Old 13th February 2009, 13:34   #10
BANNED

Quote:

I couldn't leave this OT discussion in the Jeep thread.

Till 2002, we had seen the big sumo wrestler riding pillion on the Suzuki Samurai and at the end folding his hands and saying " Suzuki Samurai, the Bike with No Problem"
Old 13th February 2009, 13:37   #11
BANNED

You left out the MAX 100 and MAX 100 R, Technocrat. These were also branded Suzuki when launched.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

You are correct MAX series too was branded as Suzuki only.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:42   #13
BANNED

Talking of brand names across manufacturers, there is Mahindra MaXX. Which came first? Mahindra MaXX or Suzuki Max?
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
All fireworks start iff Honda or Yamaha ad a bike branded Honda Samurai or Yamaha Samurai or whatever!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
You left out the MAX 100 and MAX 100 R, Technocrat. These were also branded Suzuki when launched.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I too has Suzuki Samurai, 1997 model http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1129683. Also check out "your first bike" thread you would see quite a few owns of Samurai.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
IIRC It was IND-Suzuki then TVS-Suzuki & then only Suzuki.

The Samurai, Shaolin, Shogun & Fiero had only Suzuki as logo & no mention of TVS although they were sold from the TVS outlets.

EDIT: See the pics below

Attachment 99975

Attachment 99976
Thanks Technocrat for putting up the pictures so that it is clear now.

Samurai Sir - I guess the doubts are clear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks