Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 13:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki has Copyright for brand name Samurai (Samurai beware ). So it is their choice how to name their product with their registered name. They knew that Suzuki Samurai 4X4 will be never going to launch in India with same name so they named it Gypsy.

These auto companies are known for name & rename their different products with same name. Hyundai Accent is known in India but Hyundai Accent is the name of Verna in South Korea. We have two different vehicles with name Accent and Verna.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:08   #17
BANNED

Whats in a name anyways?

Someone said this but i cant remember his name.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I guess you need to turn the book of history in the bikes, i do not think just an executive can take a decision to name the bike SUZUKI SAMURAI
Trust me, such things are always executive decisions. When I say executive I mean as in top/senior management executive, not sales executive.

Quote:
I do not think Suzuki has gone mad to not to sue the person who has made this mistake to name the vehicle if it was without the concern of the officials in Suzuki.
Since India market was not exposed to the global brand Samurai, they may have ignored it.

Quote:
I guess this should sort out your doubts.
Yes, my doubt is solved. It is a TVS-Suzuki bike which didn't use the TVS prefix for a brief period for some unknown reason.

PS: My Grand Vitara can be called a pure Suzuki vehicle since it is CBU import from Suzuki. Yet we call it Maruti GV, which is fine with me.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, my doubt is solved. It is a TVS-Suzuki bike which didn't use the TVS prefix for a brief period for some unknown reason.
Actually Once they started putting only Suzuki they never branded any of the (Suzuki)Bikes as TVS & later they were only TVS no Suzuki.

The F2 I believe was a TVS Fiero though.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th February 2009 at 14:47.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you would have seen the advertisement of the Japanese guy saying the favourite line - Suzuki Samurai the bike with no problem.
Actually, the punchline was: Suzuki Samurai, the no problem bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is a TVS-Suzuki bike which didn't use the TVS prefix for a brief period for some unknown reason.
Samurai, the company was called TVS Suzuki Ltd that time, and the bikes were branded as 'Suzuki Samurai', 'Suzuki Shogun', 'Suzuki Shaolin' etc.

After the collaboration with Suzuki ended, the company was named TVS Motors Ltd, and bikes were branded 'TVS xxxx'.

Last edited by finneyp : 13th February 2009 at 14:46.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:51   #21
BANNED

The decals might say anything. What does it say on the RC under model?

TVS Suzuki or Suzuki only?
Old 13th February 2009, 14:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

The company started off with Ind-Suzuki bike, then changed to TVS-Suzuki AX100 and then brought out the Samurai, Shogun & Shaolin in just the Suzuki name. At that time the TVS-Suzuki AX100 was also available, IIRC.
Old 13th February 2009, 14:57   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Actually, the punchline was: Suzuki Samurai, the no problem bike!
I was not in India between 1998-2004, so I must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Samurai, the company was called TVS Suzuki Ltd that time, and the bikes were branded as 'Suzuki Samurai', 'Suzuki Shogun', 'Suzuki Shaolin' etc.
Actually the last one is funny. I remember thinking long back about Suzuki Shaolin, a chinese name for a Japanese collaboration bike in India. Did they really check with the Japanese, it appears they picked it because it sounds oriental.
Old 13th February 2009, 15:02   #24
Team-BHP Support

Ind suzuki when launched turned Tvs suzuki, then suzuki shaolin, samurai, shogun and max. then came 4 strokes. My elder bro had one of the first ind suzukis launched in the country which i inherited later on.
Old 13th February 2009, 15:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me, such things are always executive decisions. When I say executive I mean as in top/senior management executive, not sales executive.

Since India market was not exposed to the global brand Samurai, they may have ignored it.
Don't say me that they were not exposed to the global brand.

As they were exposed to the global market they colloborated with Suzuki

Quote:
PS: My Grand Vitara can be called a pure Suzuki vehicle since it is CBU import from Suzuki. Yet we call it Maruti GV, which is fine with me.
This is b'cos the Suzuki has collobrated with Maruti in India and they are authorised to sell and service the vehicle in India.

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 15:26.
Old 13th February 2009, 16:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't say me that they were not exposed to the global brand.

As they were exposed to the global market they colloborated with Suzuki
That doesn't automatically mean they are exposed. Most members here including myself didn't know about the global Suzuki Samurai until joining Team-BHP.
Old 13th February 2009, 16:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That doesn't automatically mean they are exposed. Most members here including myself didn't know about the global Suzuki Samurai until joining Team-BHP.
If you would be working in Suzuki then you would be made some research to know about the brands you sell and manufacture.

Samurai sir there i no offence and this is simply being dragged after it has cleared the Air that Suzuki Samurai was present.

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 16:35.
Old 13th February 2009, 16:58   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you would be working in Suzuki then you would be made some research to know about the brands you sell and manufacture.
You think so? I have worked for years in different global product companies, and we barely knew what other departments did in the same building, let alone in other countries. Therefore I wouldn't automatically assume anything about their global exposure, that too when they made up a name like Suzuki Shaolin.

Quote:
Samurai sir there i no offence and this is simply being dragged after it has cleared the Air that Suzuki Samurai was present.
If you think this is being dragged, you can stop any time.
Old 13th February 2009, 17:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You think so? I have worked for years in different global product companies, and we barely knew what other departments did in the same building, let alone in other countries. Therefore I wouldn't automatically assume anything about their global exposure, that too when they made up a name like Suzuki Shaolin.
That's there wish to name the vehicle, as in this forum many of them have kept names which they feel is better for them.

If you want to continue it you can and if it is objective then surely i will be there to oppose

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th February 2009 at 17:13.
Old 13th February 2009, 17:14   #30
BANNED

So when did the Jimny become the Vitara / Grand Vitara? Is the (global) Samurai the same as the Vitara elsewhere?

I've mostly been exposed to the Chennai sun.

Last edited by hrag : 13th February 2009 at 17:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks