Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 09:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good restoration my friend.IS this the stock colour? Btw what are the speeds that you have achieved on this?
Old 24th February 2009, 16:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Now, it's a 12V battery and only a 6V charging system. That explains the 8.65V. The battery is steadily discharging. Not surprised.
I guess it has a 12 volt charging system. Please open the points side of the crank case and check. I assume that because Jawa comes with a 12V coil-magnet system.
Did you check the rectifier?
Old 24th February 2009, 16:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I guess it has a 12 volt charging system. Please open the points side of the crank case and check. I assume that because Jawa comes with a 12V coil-magnet system.
Did you check the rectifier?
How can you tell if the rectifier is working?
Old 25th February 2009, 19:48   #19
BHPian

Front brakes done

Changed the front brake shoes today. The axel nut was a bit** to get off! Had to hammer it out after plenty of WD-40.

The brakes the old man sold me must be of a later or earlier model Jawa/Yezdi. They weren't a direct fit. I had to cut off half the hole and drill another. Anyway, they are on and the bike stops better.
Attached Thumbnails
xx's Yezdi 250 project-02252009067-large.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2009, 15:41   #20
BHPian

waiting for an update? what spark plug did u finalize on?
Old 5th March 2009, 19:06   #21
BHPian

Got some new parts delivered today.

Model 'B' Petrol tank + fuel tap
Yezdi monograms and rubber inserts for tank
Model 'B' head light nacelle
Some automobile headlight cover and stainless steel rim
Model 'B' handle bar
Rubber grommets and other mounting items
Total for all of these: 1650 delivered to my house.

Still looking for a Model 'B' front mud guard, should get it tomorrow or day after. Will be dropping these off for painting early next week.
Attached Thumbnails
xx's Yezdi 250 project-03052009076.jpg  

Old 5th March 2009, 21:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Cool man! That handlebar with welded on yokes is pretty hard to get new!
Old 5th March 2009, 22:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice! Good luck with the project.
How long do you think it will take for the whole process? And I bet its not easy to find parts these days.
Old 6th March 2009, 08:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
How long do you think it will take for the whole process? And I bet its not easy to find parts these days.
Time depends on how authentic you want to be. I am not a stickler for originality; in fact, I prefer modern equivalent parts that are easily available wherever possible. Now, Kapiljolly's Yezdi/Jawas, those are true restoration projects. You may want to ask him how long it took him.

As for parts availability, it has been easier than I thought. There are some shops in Chennai and Hyderabad that seem to have the basics. Fingers crossed!
Old 8th March 2009, 23:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Like pointed out on the previous post, it depends on how original you want to restore it to. Yes, original parts are quite difficult to get especially for the Jawas. Im restoring a 1962 Jawa and Im still in the process of collecting parts for it. Took me 5-6 months and Ive almost collected all parts. There are some parts that are quite impossible to get it here, like the original aluminium center stand and some of the rubber parts, which Im going to order online. Will start posting pics of the restorating once all the parts are in.

Cheers
Old 13th March 2009, 22:12   #26
BHPian

After riding a YEZDI CLASSIC in Hyderabad for 8 years, heres my take :-
- you dont need a horn with a YEZDI whose muffler buttons have been removed, just that sweet beat is enough, didnt have a horn on my bike
- battery? what for - the tail light was the only thing I looked after, the brake light never worked properly. I still have memories of the feeble headlight at idling speed and the need to race the engine going round dark corners, in Banjara Hills, returning from the late show at Sangeet.
For your project I suggest
1. Get the neat headlight assembly including the pin/nail key(the thing used to pop up if you hit a pothole really hard).
2. GET THE ORIGINAL JAWA HANDLES, THEY ARE A PEACH(DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT GET THE YEZDI HANDLES).
3. Please get the JAVA tank(the teardrop one).The YEZDI tank is really ugly and was called the "ballbreaker" (mine were never impacted, inspite of some falls).
4. Remove that OG Green at the earliest. I remember JAVA had a dark brown which looks real neat.
5. Nothing beats the original YEZDI carb with the sliding sleeve.
For spares etc. try KING KOTHI where all the brokers have their shops. My mechanic ANWAR used to do only YEZDIS/JAVAS, wonder if
-
Old 13th March 2009, 22:14   #27
BHPian

After riding a YEZDI CLASSIC in Hyderabad for 8 years, heres my take :-
- you dont need a horn with a YEZDI whose muffler buttons have been removed, just that sweet beat is enough, didnt have a horn on my bike
- battery? what for - the tail light was the only thing I looked after, the brake light never worked properly. I still have memories of the feeble headlight at idling speed and the need to race the engine going round dark corners, in Banjara Hills, returning from the late show at Sangeet.
For your project I suggest
1. Get the neat headlight assembly including the pin/nail key(the thing used to pop up if you hit a pothole really hard).
2. GET THE ORIGINAL JAWA HANDLES, THEY ARE A PEACH(DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT GET THE YEZDI HANDLES).
3. Please get the JAVA tank(the teardrop one).The YEZDI tank is really ugly and was called the "ballbreaker" (mine were never impacted, inspite of some falls).
4. Remove that OG Green at the earliest. I remember JAVA had a dark brown which looks real neat.
5. Nothing beats the original YEZDI carb with the sliding sleeve.
For spares etc. try KING KOTHI where all the brokers have their shops. My mechanic ANWAR, who had a small shop in one of the gullies, used to do only YEZDIS/JAVAS, wonder if he is still there.
BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT AND AVOIDING THE COPS DURING POLLUTION CHECK TIME
Old 21st March 2009, 23:19   #28
BHPian

Here's an update after a long day at the mechanic.
  1. Got the painted original tank fitted
  2. Got original handlebar and painted semi-original headlight assembly fitted
  3. Completely re-did the wiring. Now it has the 4 ignition settings while earlier it was all wired directly.
  4. Got a 12V rectifier fitted. The old one was a 6V Kawasaki Bajaj rectifier that was toast. The new one looks different and the electrician assured me it was "yejdi." He didn't speak a word of English and I didn't speak a word of Telegu. It was an entertaining 60 minutes let me tell you. But I got it all now, parking lights, horn, tail light, high and low all on the 3 diferent key settings like its supposed to be. Question to all of you: It cant be as easy as just plonking in a bigger rectifier? What about wiring? Doesn't that have to be upgraded? Is it that easy to go from a 6V charging system to a 12v?
  5. The mechanic set the clutch cable too tight and it broke off the entire clutch body within yards of the shop. So I had to get a new clutch body as well.
Which brings me to another point about the Indian mechanics I have interacted with so far for the Yezdi and the Karizma. They are all very trigger happy and their favorite tool of choice is the hammer. This guy had all these chisels of different shapes and sizes to use with his hammer. While they are very inventive and never give up, they lack any sort of finesse and regard for the paintwork. I spent so much time explaining to them how hammering everything or being careless with the wrench will chip the paint. They think I am weird.

Anyway, still to do: front mudguard.
Attached Thumbnails
xx's Yezdi 250 project-102_0516-large.jpg  

xx's Yezdi 250 project-102_0520-large.jpg  

xxaarraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
There are some parts that are quite impossible to get it here, like the original aluminium center stand and some of the rubber parts, which Im going to order online. Will start posting pics of the restorating once all the parts are in.

Cheers
Pat, Can we buy some for my twin as well? Are you buying these from Czech online store?

Srisha
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:39   #30
BHPian

@xxaarraa
Bike look awesome and how about posting a exhaust sound? love to hear that.

Cheers
L&S

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks