Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 22:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

sorry for the mistake of posting wrong pic mates it was the shell helix super 15W40 i had in mind i typed this. some how had the same image in the head for the shell helix and helix super.

now i have attached the right one too.

her is the link check out even the specifications it is API SL/CF and ACEA A2/B2

Shell in India - Shell Helix Products

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

i have also attached a link of the engine oil bibles for you to check.

regarding my picture i put in i was a newbie back then it was june 2007 that i bought the oil when my uni was just 2 months old and the fake castrol was flooded here in Hyderabad, so had to resort to buy some thing better than that so just picked up the 20W50 from shell.

i only used it once though i bought a 3lt can, now its still lying around.

well thats about it, i will soon try and put up all the pics of oils with their grades that i find at stores here in Hyderabad.

lets just say better specification and grade oil will surely keep our engines in good condition for long we rather stick to those oils than worry later.

black12rr i guess this clears your doubt.

raccoon can you give use the API specification of the 10W30 oil please? And better yet man try and find a good mechanic near by your place na, have you contacted any local BHPians???
Attached Thumbnails
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-dsc01968.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by rider60 : 10th March 2009 at 23:01.
Old 10th March 2009, 23:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

^^^Dude, all those are car oils!

The API rating of the Idemitsu HH oil is SJ. I guess BPCL and Tide Water HH oil will also have the same rating.

The Gulf Pride 10W30 is rated SL, JASO rating is MA2.

No haven't found any good mechanic or garage... not even tried. Thing is I had to change the oil a week back (Gulf Pride)... as its been 6 months since the last change. So now if I get the strainer screen and cent. filter cleaned, I'll have to change the oil again... dont want to waste it. And I got so pissed off with the HH service centres, I just cleaned the air filter myself. So I guess I'll wait for a few months... mebbe 6. Problem is the warranty... my 2nd service is WAY overdue!

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th March 2009 at 23:51.
Old 11th March 2009, 00:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Raccoon the shell i mention is SL just like the gulf so wont that do for you???
Old 11th March 2009, 00:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Nopes dude, it wont and shouldn't do for any bike! All those are car oils. Check the page for bike oils.
Old 11th March 2009, 01:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Nopes dude, it wont and shouldn't do for any bike! All those are car oils. Check the page for bike oils.

the specification is met right? see i not trying to be arrogant even i want to know how different is the bike oil from the car's. this way i want to learn too.

can any gurus out there explain?
Old 11th March 2009, 01:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
the specification is met right? see i not trying to be arrogant even i want to know how different is the bike oil from the car's. this way i want to learn too.

can any gurus out there explain?
just made up my mind and now finished reading half the engine oil bible now i finished reading the part that covers as to why i cant use car oil in bikes so doubt cleared.

alls well cheers good night India mini waves in celebration now i go to bed !!!!!
Old 11th March 2009, 08:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

The JASO rating is what you should look for when you choose a motorcycle oil.

Some of you must've seen this thread before, posting again:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...must-read.html
Old 15th October 2010, 19:11   #38
BHPian

A very important thread ignored from more than 1.5 years & turned Off Topic. I am regular viewer of Team Bhp but found it today again when googling for engine flushing & centrifugal filter in bikes.

My queries:
1. I have bought Cyclo Motor Flush today ti flush the engine my splendor. Is it safe to flush (by motor flush/ diesel) a wet clutch, centrifugal oil filter bike? Won’t a small quantity of flush/ diesel will be remain in congested area like clutch housing, centrifugal filter etc. and ruined the new engine oil?

2. What Centrifugal filter does? By the picture on Page No. 1 in sankar post there is nothing mesh/ screen type part.

3. Once (almost 3 years ago) I went Castrol Bike Zone and asked him to clean the Oil Filter of P150 classic. I didn’t know the location of filter. He got the screen out cleaned it in kerosene and refitted (but now I understood that Centrifugal Filter was not touched).
Then I tried to the exercise on my splendor bike. It very easy to get the screen out and cleaned but I was not able to open the centrifugal filter. It was very tightly screwed.
Any one have step-by-step pictorial presentation (from disconnecting clutch cable to open centrifugal filter- refitting the clutch cover of any indian bike?
Old 6th July 2013, 16:14   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme

Ok...old thread, old posts, but not much is discussed on cleaning the oil strainer.

Here is a pictorial + text representation of the process to clean the oil strainer in CBF 125; which is the Indian Stunner CBF 125. Though, its bike specific, but still I think that more or less, it should be of help to many other bike owners.

Please check this link: http://cbf125rider.wordpress.com/201...iner/#more-262

Regards,
Saket
Old 8th July 2013, 11:19   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

My CBF125/ Honda Stunner was due for a service, hence taking the opportunity, I am posting the details of cleaning the oil strainer here with detailed pictures. The process for Honda Shine/ Unicorn/ CBZ/ Achiever, etc should be same IMO.
The strainer was never cleaned in the 16K kms of the bike's entire life as of now. Once, I went to Honda ASC, but the service guys are just too lazy to do this job. Also, I was shocked when I went to the ASC for the job yesterday where they wanted me to leave the bike with them for 2 DAYS, just for cleaning the strainer! Moreover, later they told me that they DO NOT have the clutch case packing gasket for the stunner. I was shocked to know this too, because the clutch casing gasket is a fast moving consumable for bikes. The fact that the gasket is same for Stunner/ Shine/ Unicorn, that made it had to digest that they don't have it in stock. A total let down for Honda Service Centre.. Later I got the gasket from a spare parts shop for Rs. 25/- and got the job done from my old scooter mech.

The oil strainer is many times overlooked by the owners and the mechanics. But it's critical because a blockage in the oil strainer can mean that your engine is reduced to a heap of scrap! Even draining out oil & changing it WILL NOT clean the oil strainer. It has to be done manually, by removing the filter/ strainer. Most small engines, like those of bikes die prematurely because of a blocked strainer. So, here is the process. Pardon for poor quality pics taken from my crappy phone camera (I will review the E63 later)

Step 1: The engine oil is drained out by opening the draining nut.

Step 2: Remove the clutch cable & the engine oil dip stick gauge from place.
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-1.jpg

Step 3: Unscrewing all the bolts holding the clutch case in place.
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-2.jpg

Step 4: Take out the case gently as it will be held with a gasket packing which might have stuck on the metals. Some remaining oil may drip out while opening this case.

Step 5: Locate the oil strainer at the bottom, placed in a slit and slide it out gently (market with yellow circle). Also, with the clean insides, looks like the bike is loving the fully synthetic oil.
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-3.jpg

Step 6: Look at the fines & particles stuck in the strainer and feel good about the job you have undertaken!
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-4.jpg

Step 7: Clean the strainer with petrol with a brush.
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-5.jpg

Step 8: You may want to tilt the bike a little so as to drain little more oil trapped between the cogs/ clutch plates, etc. Take the opportunity to clean any deposits (if any, on the clutch case)

Step 9: Slide back the strainer in the slit.

Step 10: Put back the clutch case in place, tighten it & put back the clutch cable in place.

Step 11: Fill new engine oil, if the oil is dirty or due for replacement (preferred). Put in the dip stick & measure the oil level. Stunner would take approx 900ml of oil.
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-castrol-p1r.jpg

Step 12: Good to go for at least another 10K-12K kms!

About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-honda-cbf-stunner.jpg
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-honda-cbf-stunner-5.jpg
About motorcycle oil filters; esp. HH CBZ-Xtreme-honda-cbf-stunner-7.jpg
The bike indeed looks happy with clean insides!

Hope this helps in building the thread.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 03:16   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting, well done description of how to remove and clean the filter screen on your CBF 125.

Noting this is an old topic that has been dormant for over 2 1/2 years I figure its about time (alok)'s question should be answered.
He asked,
"2. What Centrifugal filter does? By the picture on Page No. 1 in sankar post there is nothing mesh/ screen type part."

A centrifugal oil filter works on the principle that most damaging particles are heavier than oil. They do not (usually) incorporate a screen or mesh because it would be redundant.

Centrifugal oil "filters" should be called Centrifugal oil separators.
They are spun at a high rate of speed by the engine and oil is forced thru them by the engines oil pump.
As the dirty oil enters the separator it is forced to spin and as it does so, the heavy contaminants are thrown outward where they accumulate.
The oil, now free of the debris, continues thru the device exiting close to the center and continues on its way to lubricate the engine.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 9th July 2013 at 03:18.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 06:39   #42
BHPian

Good DIY saket, but why you have not cleaned Centrifugal Oil Filter? Cleaning the screen and oil filter is a composite job, when we have taken the pain to open and refit the clutch cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Centrifugal oil "filters" should be called Centrifugal oil separators.

Quote:
They are spun at a high rate of speed by the engine and oil is forced thru them by the engines oil pump.
As the dirty oil enters the separator it is forced to spin and as it does so, the heavy contaminants are thrown outward where they accumulate.
The oil, now free of the debris, continues thru the device exiting close to the center and continues on its way to lubricate the engine.
Centrifugal may be better than paper mesh oil filter but the wrong clutch cover design make problem to clean this. If there could be some window type arrangement for centrifugal oil filters it can be get cleaned easily.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:47   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is very good info bro. Thanks for sharing. I would be glad if you (or someone) could share a pictorial guide to clean the centrifugal filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Good DIY saket, but why you have not cleaned Centrifugal Oil Filter? Cleaning the screen and oil filter is a composite job, when we have taken the pain to open and refit the clutch cover.

Centrifugal may be better than paper mesh oil filter but the wrong clutch cover design make problem to clean this. If there could be some window type arrangement for centrifugal oil filters it can be get cleaned easily.
I was aware that the centrifugal filter needs to be cleaned, but as Honda Service centre is as good as non-existent, I went through the DIY + a mechanic (for tools) route. I sought out info on cleaning the strainer on the net, but according to the poster, he did not touch the centrifugal filter due to 'some reason' which he probably did not elaborate later. Hence, I did not venture into. Also, the mechanic who did the job had no idea about that filter, neither the strainer and actually I kept on guiding him how to do it. In fact, after opening the clutch case, he was disappointed and was about to re fit it when he could not 'see' any filter! Again, I had to find that slit for the strainer. Also, I got my disc brakes serviced & bled, which was another story...he almost messed up my brakes and I had to get it done by someone else later. Spark plug was also changed that day. The brake story is here:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3172340

On another note, its a relatively tedious job to open the case just to clean the filter. There should have been a better arrangement.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 9th July 2013 at 10:52.
Old 10th July 2013, 00:49   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

It is unfortunate that cleaning the centrifugal "filter" wasn't done. There are some good photos and a reference from a service manual on page 1 of this topic that shows it.

Had your mechanic removed the three Phillips head screws and the cover on the round device that clearly shows in your photo above, he would have found the accumulated debris inside.

On a positive note, the internal volume of these is quite large and it is somewhat unlikely that it is filled to capacity.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 10:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is unfortunate that cleaning the centrifugal "filter" wasn't done. There are some good photos and a reference from a service manual on page 1 of this topic that shows it.

Had your mechanic removed the three Phillips head screws and the cover on the round device that clearly shows in your photo above, he would have found the accumulated debris inside.

On a positive note, the internal volume of these is quite large and it is somewhat unlikely that it is filled to capacity.
Thanks Jim for the information. I will get it done in my next major service around 5-6 K kms from now. That will be the interval for my next oil, air filter changes, may be valve clearances as well.

Thanks,
Saket

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks