Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 14:23   #16
BHPian

great looker no doubt about that..

sorry but can't help it 27K
but it looks like an estimate. normally your actual bill would be much lower when compared to estimate and you may not change all the parts mentioned but as you've described you didn't bother to check . even 'm waaaiiitttinngg to refurbish my rx 135. but one thing is sure that the more i wait 'm discovering so many new aspects that i should look out for. hopefully i would get it done at a better price.
but that bike looks really neat. congratulations.
Old 9th March 2009, 18:23   #17
BHPian

That's the icing on the cake. First they rip you on the prices.
Then, they Give it to you on the "estimate sheet" so that they Legally dont have to make a bill and pay taxes, as a result.
Atleast the showroom guys give you a proper bill.

All this is the reason why me and friends gave up on mechanics a long time ago. I am educated and have the internet at my disposal. This automatically puts me at a MUCH MUCH better position than those dirty, shady mechanics who are only out there to rip you. Trust me when I say this, learn to wrench yourself guys. Seriously, How difficult is it to pick up a tool and work on the bike? What is stopping you?
Old 9th March 2009, 18:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Then, they Give it to you on the "estimate sheet" so that they Legally dont have to make a bill and pay taxes, as a result.

All this is the reason why me and friends gave up on mechanics a long time ago. I am educated and have the internet at my disposal. This automatically puts me at a MUCH MUCH better position than those dirty, shady mechanics who are only out there to rip you. Trust me when I say this, learn to wrench yourself guys. Seriously, How difficult is it to pick up a tool and work on the bike? What is stopping you?
scaryskulls, its probably a mix of
1. Time constraints
2. Lack of Patience
3. Lack of tools(or the lack of vitamin M to buy the tools)
4. Assembling back the parts might be a pain in the .. you know what!! (guys like me would be scared to reassemble, what if we miss out something with drastic consequences ?)
5. Unwilling to do R & D on ones own vehicle
Old 9th March 2009, 23:00   #19

Thanks for the inputs. Ya, that mechanic ripped me off bigtime, but cant do nothing about it now. Must learn and do everything myself, im on it.

Anyways, I met Prajeep in the weekend, changed the rear rim back to 18" now, and purchased a Zapper Q 90/90. Pickup had dropped after changing to 18 incher, but thanks to Mr. Pradeep, who gave me the idea to change to fibre reeds. It makes quite a big difference. Pickup is really good now. Learning alot of things from him.

Although the top speed is still sucky. Wont go over 100 kph. Please advise on what to do.

Could it be because only the gearbox is changed to a 5-speed one and the rest all is of 4 speed ? Should I buy a 5S bore ?
Old 9th March 2009, 23:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post

You said the golden words! Everytime the mechs touch my bikes, they make a mess. Everytime I work on it, its always perfect...
Old 10th March 2009, 03:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMan47 View Post
Must learn and do everything myself, im on it.
Excellent. Purchase a basic tool kit from a good brand and start reading the internet for simple simple tasks like putting in air into the tyres, tightening the chain, cleaning filter, changing oil etc.
As you gain confidence with time, progress onto changing bulbs, opening up the carb to clean it. Etc.
Keep a digital camera handy. Take pictures whenver you are opening things so that you dont goof up while re-installing back the stuff.
Best wishes!

Quote:
idea to change to fibre reeds. It makes quite a big difference.
Loose the airbox. Put on a nice new foam filter. Preferably UNI with bigger jets.

Quote:
Should I buy a 5S bore?
Yes, keep the 5 speed cylinder kit on your mind. Though finding the 5 speed head will be the toughest part. If you can't find, then we will have the 4 speed head modified for higher compression. A well kept healthy 5speeder will keep up with a Karizma very easily. If yours isn't doing that, then we have a problem.
Old 10th March 2009, 09:50   #22

Thanks for tips ScarySkulls. Will keep those things in mind. Basic tool kit from a good brand, hm.. any suggestions ?

I will enquire about the UNI here. Will changing to that filter and going for bigger jets result in FE drop? Im concerned about fuel economy too, since this is the only bike I have, so all the commuting is done with this. Will be quite a headache if it doesnt give a good mileage.

I wanted to know, what top speed could a STOCK RX135 5S reach ?

I asked at the Yamaha dealership showrooms here (in bangalore) yesterday for a 5Speed bore and they all had the same answer, not available and they're not taking orders too. Enquired at Mahinder's spare parts shop in Shivajinagar and he said Yamaha have stopped manufacturing 5S bores. Is this true ?

Help me out guys. Thanks.
Old 10th March 2009, 10:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
--
---
Help me out guys. Thanks.
I have done 120 kph on mine when it was brand new and when the bike had done barely 500 kms on the odo.
Old 11th March 2009, 00:25   #24

Does the bike need to be tuned after changing the wheel ? Im going crazy trying to get the bike go over 100 kph. :O

Anyways, I'm going to Ooty on the bike with some college friends this Friday, which is around 250 Kms. Hoping the bike wont give me any trouble on the journey. Wish me luck. hehe.
Old 11th March 2009, 02:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Basic tool kit from a good brand, hm.. any suggestions?
Hmmm.. What brands are available there? In any case, buy whatever decent feeling kit you see or individual tools. Dont blow too much money before you research around

Quote:
I will enquire about the UNI here. Will changing to that filter and going for bigger jets result in FE drop? Im concerned about fuel economy too, since this is the only bike I have, so all the commuting is done with this. Will be quite a headache if it doesnt give a good mileage.
Bigger Jet is to try to maintain atleast the same air-fuel ratio. If your riding style is unchanged, I really don't see any reason why the fuel economy should go down. But that is rarely going to happen because as soon you slap on the filter, you hear the bike growling, revving freely, running better. So naturally, you tend to Gas it more

Quote:
With my weight i.e. 85kgs, I think I clocked about 100kmph true with a slight room for more. Meter reading can be anywhere between 120-130 as speedo overreading of around 15% is normal (can be more too)

Quote:
Is this true ?
Will check on that.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:06   #26
BHPian

5 speed gearbox on a 4speed bore is useless. The bike loses all the juice once you shift into fifth. Heck...4th itself is a bit of an overdrive.

If you were aware that he was doing this, you should have asked him to put a 5speed bore at least.

Now that you have a quasi 5 speed bike ... maybe you should go ahead and convert it fully to a 5speed ?

Otherwise the bike looks good. Costs are ...high ..but then spares and availability, quality etc all those things come into the picture. In any case he would have fleeced you of a few Ks
Old 11th March 2009, 18:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
5 speed gearbox on a 4speed bore is useless. The bike loses all the juice once you shift into fifth. Heck...4th itself is a bit of an overdrive.

If you were aware that he was doing this, you should have asked him to put a 5speed bore at least.

Now that you have a quasi 5 speed bike ... maybe you should go ahead and convert it fully to a 5speed ?

Otherwise the bike looks good. Costs are ...high ..but then spares and availability, quality etc all those things come into the picture. In any case he would have fleeced you of a few Ks
Well, I had asked the mech to convert it to a 5-speed, and he agreed. only after collecting the bike I found he had only changed the gearbox, I did ask him later to get a 5S bore and he said they're hard to get. :S

I do want to convert it to a 5speed fully, looking for a bore currently and cant find one anywhere. Any leads ?
Old 11th March 2009, 21:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

You couldhave bought a well maintained RXZ for 27K !! (sorry to rub it in)

how exactly is teh 5th gear helping you? Do you do long highway drives?
Old 11th March 2009, 22:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
how exactly is teh 5th gear helping you? Do you do long highway drives?
Hmm, yes, not much but yes.

I go on long runs twice every week, atleast. And some long trips too, once or twice a month. Going to Ooty this Friday, like I mentioned before.
Old 15th March 2009, 01:02   #30
BHPian

@MPower -

27K ? For a 4S Z thats way too much and I doubt anybody in their right frame of mind would give you a 5s Z for that price ! unless there was something seriously wrong with that 5s

But you can easily get a 5s RX in that range....

This is what I know of B'lore - dunno about other places.

@ NoMan,

I had one... but its sold.

But I know somebody who has a pretty new bore piston kit. You have to do it offline PMs

BTW -

Just my personal opinion. Having ridden both the 5s and 4S for quite a bit now - don't really think its worth all the trouble and money to convert it into a 5speed. Yeah sure the 5s performs better but the stock 4s is a really nice bike to putter around - dare I say it - better than a 5s in town - provided you dont mind being restricted to <110 top end.

Last edited by Sandeep_K_Ram : 15th March 2009 at 01:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks