Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 12:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can a front disc brake be fitted on Bullet 350 standard model from enfield OEM parts?

my dad is purchasing the bullet 350 standard (classic) next month.
since that model does not have front disc brakes as standard, can the brake be fitted as it is mentioned as an add on kit from royal enfield itself on its website?

http://www.royalenfield.com/addonkits/DiscBrake.aspx

I insisted on other models like machismo/ electra but he ONLY wants to go for standard bullet with traditional right side gearbox.

your suggestions/feedback needed.
Old 21st March 2009, 12:33   #2
BHPian

Yes he can,..the kit is a bolt on and its best left to the Authorised service center.
Old 21st March 2009, 12:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That's good news - RE have a disc brake kit to retrofit old Bullets. Even befor they came out with this (and I'm talking of the mid-80's), I'd done a retrofit of a Brembo disc to the front wheel of my Bullet 350. Needed some modification to the lower ends of the forks, and a total cost of about 4k. Ran beautifully. And yes, like your dad insists, it came with left foot braking and right sided gearbox!
Old 21st March 2009, 23:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Technically I don't think so the kit is a bolt on. But with modifications yes it can be fitted.
Old 22nd March 2009, 00:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Yes he can,..the kit is a bolt on and its best left to the Authorised service center.
i agree. its a kit that is available with a specific part number and its a bolt on. no mods per say required.
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:03   #6
BHPian

The modification take about an hour and all the necessary parts needed are supplied in the Kit, its a Pricol Kit costing abt 6500rs and is the same Disc brakes that work on the Co fitted Electra and machismo models. The thunderbird also has the same Disc Brakes just that the Brake Oil pipe is a bit longer due to the long handles of the Thunderbird. The kit also supplies the spokes which wud be needed to be replaced. Congrats for the Bullet and Best Of Luck for the Discbrake mod. Plz post some pics once you get the Beast.
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

It's a bolt on kit and a worthwhile addition!

While installing the kit please use a thread locker like Loctite (preferred) or Anabond at two locations, it's important. Otherwise the bolts may come undone over time due to vibrations. It has happened.
1) On the 2 bolts and nuts holding the caliper carrier to the fork leg.
2) On the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on to the caliper carrier.
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

There are availability issues.
Please inform the dealer that you want it with the bike.
Or make yourself clear about it.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:04   #9

Can someone from Mumbai suggest where to get this done and the costs involved in the same. Called Alibhai Premji's who for some reason directed me to the company service center in Nerul. Spoke to the person there who said that they don't have the disc brake kits.

Also, looking to change the CB points system with the Electronic Ignition Kit being supplied by the company. Would be great if someone could shed some light on how good it is and any adverse effect it has on performance etc. Basically I'm interested in the mod to have less trouble during rains as I use the bike to commute to work and also because I don't find points very reliable.

I'm more keen on the Electronic Ignition mod at the time being if its recommended, the disk brake one I intend to do down the line.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:24   #10
BHPian

Sorry for the n00bish question
But how is the caliper mounted onto the fork?
On the website its mentioned "Note: The Disc brake kit is not a retro fit for Thunderbird, The 2004 Bullet Electra and Bullet Machismo (five-speed). These bikes will need a new fork end to fit this Disc brake kit."
is the fork also included in the kit?

Regards

MP
Old 17th November 2009, 19:21   #11
BHPian

When a friend of mine was booking his Std 350, the Brand store here in Cochin, were willing to deliver the bike with disc kit, for 7k extra.
Old 20th November 2009, 00:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sid, did you pick the disc brake kit yet?

Loungefly, try the Authorised Service Centers (ASC). Or better you can try getting the disc brake kit from a spares dealer like Rajkamal at Santacruz West and get it fitted at a well-experienced mechanic or the ASC.
Old 20th November 2009, 01:53   #13
BHPian

Yo Sid, here you go.

You can order the kit/buy it at its authorised dealers, there would be a wait, but yes, it's been over 5 years since they have been supplying modification kits to convert a drum to a disc brake.
Additionally you would need to negotiate on what the dealer will give you if you exchange your drum set for the disc set, but yes they do supply the kit additionally.

What's required is here
1) Hub, + its own set of spokes,
2) Disc
3) Caliper & Fittings,
4) Hose pipe.
5) Lever with built in reservoir and piston.
6) Allied fittings such as speedo cable take off etc.
7) Last but never the least the OIL !

You can order the kit from REML.

Cheers

Last edited by mmmjgm : 20th November 2009 at 01:56.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:36   #14
BHPian

someone told me that fitting the 500C bikes front drum to 350cc increases the braking by around 30%. Does someone have any experience with that ?
Old 20th November 2009, 09:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
someone told me that fitting the 500C bikes front drum to 350cc increases the braking by around 30%. Does someone have any experience with that ?

IIRC, 500 got bigger drums and hence you have better braking power. Is it still the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks