Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Although the headlight is quite powerful, I am still not satisfied with it for highway rides. What is the ideal upgrade without changing the wires?
The best option is to install a better bulb. Most of the bikes today come with Halonix HS1 bulb which is pretty useless for Indian riding conditions. Try some Halonix +60. Osram will not help. I had tried it too, but Osram was not improvement. I am not sure of Hunk, but my caliber took 60/55W in its stride. But I suggest you dont try that.
Else you can also try 40/45W bulb.

Then after wiring and coils work will have to be carried out .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I think its AC (or alternator/Dynamo?) current since the light flickers when I accelerate or slow down. Not too sure whats the output of light but I am not at all happy with it. I am literally blind while riding on the highway and have to wait for a vehicle to see the road ahead.
That is what Technocrat mentioned. He mentioned that Kaz has DC and hence people can get away after fitting 90/100W bulbs.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Any developments, mandyrana?

Could not find a conclusive answer till date - there are two groups here; the first lot opts for rewiring the alternator to increase the output and the second lot says nothing is to be done.

Basically, I don't like tinkering with the electricals (after I saw the full wiring harness of KB100 and thereafter a Santro, I have decided there will be no cutting and splicing. The connectors decide what goes where, and thereafter if you want to splice any wire based on colour code, there will be royal screw up even if there is a small mistake) - least of all don't want to stranded in the middle of nowhere with an electrical fault
Old 17th September 2009, 11:49   #33
BANNED

Better bulb with same wattages or 90/100 replacement generator from Nippon india, costs around 3-3.5K not sure about getting it fixed in other bikes, works well in RX's and RD's.Rewinding of coil dosent lasts long, even if you are getting it done make sure to not to cross 55-60W range bulb even with 90/100 kit that is the optimum choice.
I am using Halinox 60+(mind it its model number not the wattage) 35/35W in my RX and CBZ works well without any alteration to wiring or coil.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:31   #34
BHPian

1.Guys with Pulsars, you have a plug n play solution in the form of using Avenger 180s Stator and RR, along with a good 60/55w bulb like Osram Silverstar, Nightbreaker, Philips Extreme, Crystal vision etc
2. Guys riding bikes with DC electricals like Zma, Bullets, R15, P220,FZ,Fazer etc You can upgrade to a 60/55w bulb without much issues. Just take care that you load the battery judiciously,like using tail lamps of less wattage, judicious use of horn and high beam, use of leds wherever possible etc. Exceptions would be the older Bulls with the 6v system, and the newer kick start bulls with 12v 5ah batteries and the R15 which has twin 35w headlamps.
Another option for Dc electrical bikes would be to go for an Hid kit. Branded ones are available for about 5k these days.
3. For guys riding bikes with AC lighting, coil winding is the way to go. Either use a higher wattage coil to power the headlamp or better still use the extra power from the new coil to power a higher Ah battery(one which fits in your battery holder!!) and use the battery to power the headlamp.
bmw_m5_titus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2009, 15:11   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
1.Guys with Pulsars, you have a plug n play solution in the form of using Avenger 180s Stator and RR, along with a good 60/55w bulb like Osram Silverstar, Nightbreaker, Philips Extreme, Crystal vision etc
hey can you share the details of the parts details with the prices? are teh spares available readily or we have to order?
Old 18th September 2009, 12:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Will upgrade soon and let you al know of the results.
@mandyrana: Well I see another person uses the Gladiator
No update from E_N or mandyrana.

I was getting desperate - because of a planned road trip on the highways between Pune & Satara (more of that elsewhere!)

Checked out the Pulsar & Unicorn, which were to be other bikes on this trip. Unicorn had a Philips bulb (almost identical to Gladiator), but not much difference in terms of light. Pulsar - could not see which bulb was fitted on it, but the low beam was slightly better. Could not make out if the bulb will match Gladiator.

The toll-free assist on Yamaha was not very helpful - he will take up the issue if I could please go his dealer XYZ at some ABC location. At least he did hear me out!!

So started bulb hunting in Pune.

Was unable to find any bulb which was higher than 35/35W lesser than 50/55W for Gladiator. Every body has the same reply - stock bulb for bikes are only 35W.

Some of them had no idea on the type of bulb this bike uses!

And none of them are interested in anything which will help / elighten the buyer - take it or leave it!! (Gave me a very good idea to start a new line of business - provided I can quit this job and some one can finance the venture!!)

Plenty of assorted / exotic varieties - included the so called white and bright ones - prices ranging from Rs. 60/- (!) to Rs. 150/-.

None of the shop owners seemed to be interested in the problem - had to face typical "Puneri" attitude.

Was getting desperate - went outside the city to continue the bulb-hunt!

It was almost 9 pm and people where shutting down - when I stumbled on this shop. Appeared to a decent enough place with good variety. Counting the take of the day when I stood at his counter.

Patiently heard me - obviously, dinner at home can wait. Said

- that no matter how high and low I search, I won't get anything in between 35W - 55W to fit the Gladiator.

- Can fit the 55W bulb - but performance will not be any different because of the current output; winding coil will not help, because the existing one and new one will be bound to have some difference and can create problems later;

- White light gives more trouble to people coming from the opposite side than giving any benefit to the driver;

- Try out any of the bulbs from the stock he had - after all I had to shell out about 100 bucks, and if am satisfied - fine. Otherwise, keep it as a spare bulb. (That was good sales talk!)

- Testing the bulb for brightness in any shop is of no use, it only confirms that both filaments are working and the way the bulb behaves on the bike and on tester are two different things.

OK, I thought - 9 pm and this guy spends 15 minutes with me patiently! Time to buy a new bulb - bought an Osram 35/35W bulb (Why Osram - simply because their website gave better information on the bulb rather than Philips, and this bulb was a direct import from Germany! And Halonix - had bad experience earlier - repeated again (see next episode!) and the finishing did not match Osram). And Osram cost only Rs. 90/-!

Have to upload the picture of the stock bulb now - so will take a break and be back with the experience shortly!!
Old 18th September 2009, 13:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
- White light gives more trouble to people coming from the opposite side than giving any benefit to the driver;
Really appreciate you didn't get these white ones, I really have no words when people use this, not b'cos I have a personal condition with my head when I see it, but it is really very disturbing to the eyes.

Cheers to you.
Old 18th September 2009, 15:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
Cheers to you.
Back after lunch. hehehe...

Thanks, pretorian - if there is one thing that I am still learning, it is to respect all users of the road, which includes pedestrians & bovines, also. More about that when I have some time.

Here is the picture of the stock bulb in Gladiator....

It is a standard Halonix bulb - probably made specially for Yamaha!!

See its quality -

a. the smudges on the bulb - the same material which covers the top of the bulb - sheer carelessness?

b. the yellowishness of the glass - because of the heat? (but I have seen the bulb of my Palio - Philips - used for about 4 years, without any such discolouration. I'll see what happens to the Osram now)

The stock replacement Osram went in place of the new one.

Went to the darkest patch of road I could find, and placed a big stone to one side and took my bike about 10 - 12 away to adjust the focus. After a little trail and error, could manage a setting where the low beam could clearly pick the stone out, and high beam was bright enough to show it out.

So benefit from Osram about 10% better light.

Satisfied, packed the bags for the trip next day.

A very satisfying day - beautiful roads, greenery all round, no crowds and half-tank of shell petrol making the bike sing!!

Got late on the return on the return - and heavens opened up! It was a torrential down pour for nearly an hour - driving ruled out - so holed up waiting for it to peter down.

Finally, when it turned out to be small drizzle by 7.45 pm, started on the way back from Satara to Pune.

It was pitch black and only a few vehicles on the road from Satara City to NH4. And my new bulb - didn't live up to the previous nights' performance. Nil illumination - could only illuminate the tail lights (Unicorn) and its numberplate - all other objects on the road - ZILCH!! (If it is any consolation, Unicorn had the same problem). Crashed into numerous pot holes and what not.

Somehow, made it to the highway without any mishaps. Thankfully, rain stopped; parked the bike and cleaned my visor and headlight - there was some improvement (same in Unicorn) - but it was like this :-

(a) on dark areas the low beam was pretty bright to illuminate the road (without rain) - but could not risk speeds above 50; high beam - just enough light to sense what was head;

(b) in ambient lighting like lamp posts / ambience from other lights - illumination - close to ZERO.

This position was almost similar to Unicorn. And few other bikes on the road seem to have the same lighting pattern.

To conclude -
1. 35 / 35 W head lights are pathetic for highway driving - you simply cannot risk it! There is a desperate need to improve the power.

2. Cleaning the headlight and focussing improves the illumination a little better - what is more essential is bulb gives a better beam of concentrated light, which the reflector cannot do.

Thinking of putting a 55W bulb now - my head and limbs are more important than the electricals of my Gladiator!!
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-img_0613.jpg  

Old 20th September 2009, 15:44   #39
BHPian

Nice to see people thinking of upgrading their headlights.

Do not change your battery to a higher Ah, the alternator is not powerful enough to charge it.
It doesnt matter if a bike's headlight is powered directly by the alternator and not by the battery it can be easily converted, but the battery in this case is not powerful enough.
When you switch over to anything more than stock wattage you are effectively putting a huge strain on the entire wiring system.
Your switches were not designed to handle this kind of voltage.
What you need is two 10amp relays in series with wire of a higher gauge bypassing the thinner switch wiring to decrease the voltage in the circuit formed with the switch.
People have idiotically fitted 100/90 and 130/100 bulbs on karizmas(so I know of) and claim higher output and better lights without considering the above facts.They probably never reported their burnt out switches. The karizma's wiring thankfully is not as fragile as one would expect and does take a lot of abuse at the hands of inexperienced mechanics and DIY guys. These people will then report that the battery gets drained out too quickly. tail lights dimming when braking etc.. etc...(This is with all deference to my friend Ricci who has a keen understanding of electrical systems)
I have been using the above configuration for the past eighteen months. 80% of my riding is at night because of the odd hours I keep. I ran a 55/60 successfully for a few months before switching to a 100/90w bulb.I have ridden for hours at a stretch without any problems whatsoever.
3.5 yrs and battery still going strong.Switching to a 130/100 at the time of writing,(bike is in the garage for a mod).
Dont bother with different brands of bulbs because all are equally inferior.(by international standards).
If you understand the wiring system of your bike to make it work to your advantage then go for it. If you need step by step instructions I can provide that as well.
My personal suggestion is that you leave everything stock because you might end up doing more damage to your bike even though you had the right intentions.

Pratap
pratap007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2009, 00:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap007 View Post
If you understand the wiring system of your bike to make it work to your advantage then go for it. If you need step by step instructions I can provide that as well.
Please, Prasad - I would very much love that - are you the angel in disguise who will throw the shine on the very dark roads that I travel on my steed?
Old 21st September 2009, 10:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Please, Prasad - I would very much love that - are you the angel in disguise who will throw the shine on the very dark roads that I travel on my steed?
+1 to that. Even i would be interested in upgrading the HL of my pulsar 150 classic. I have been advised that we can fit avenger's parts which are are a direct fit, but not aware of the details..
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:49   #42
BHPian

Voltage v/s Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap007 View Post
Nice to see people thinking of upgrading their headlights.

When you switch over to anything more than stock wattage you are effectively putting a huge strain on the entire wiring system.
Your switches were not designed to handle this kind of voltage.
What you need is two 10amp relays in series with wire of a higher gauge bypassing the thinner switch wiring to decrease the voltage in the circuit formed with the switch.
Pratap
If you don't mind my pointing out that its the higher current that burns out your switches and wiring and its the higher voltage that blows out the bulbs. Your voltage remains almost same ie 12 Volts+ (or 6 Volts+ ).

No offence meant.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Update on OSRAM

Quote:
Time to buy a new bulb - bought an Osram 35/35W bulb (Why Osram - simply because their website gave better information on the bulb rather than Philips, and this bulb was a direct import from Germany! And Osram cost only Rs. 90/-!
Here is an update while waiting for Pratap to put in the D-I-Y on upgradation -

1. The OSRAM I fitted went kaput in three days. The shop-keeper was not very helpful (no guarantee on bulbs) this time around. Thinking of writing a complaint to OSRAM.

2. Tried to see what has gone wrong - the high beam filament is gone - it is not burnt, but the terminal has blackened. It seems that while flashing it for overtaking, there must have been a surge (naturally - when you gun the accelerator, the alternator must have generated more current), which must have caused something to melt inside.

3. Tried harder - Philips 35W are next to impossible to get; the shops have stocks of only "white light" bulbs, which I want to strictly avoid.

4. Pulsars use Halonix - and the Bajaj Service Centres are quoting Rs. 125/-.

Pratap - please spare some time!!
Old 17th November 2009, 16:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Try Halonix +60 55/60W. This will give much better light. I have used one in my Caliber.
Got tired of waiting for reply from Pratap!!

Also, the last week rain's was the last straw - couldn't see a damn thing even a foot away!

So got a 55/60W Bosch bulb (my stock was Halonix & it wasn't so good) and fitted it on (there is a slight variation on the indentations on the front bottom side - so had to bend one, to fit it in the holder) day before yesterday.

First impressions -

a. Switching between low and high beam has a time lag.

b. The intensity of the high beam isn't so good and light disperses - will try to make some fine tuning with the angle of the bulb and check again.

c. The low beam intensity and spread is good - and illumination is much better - even in rain, I was able to make out the pot holes / patches on the road.

d. Due to wet roads didn't travel fast (60 - 65 kmph) - there was no problem in running / pick up.

e. Even after using the light continuously for half-an-hour, there wasn't much heat on the headlamp - could touch it with my palm without discomfort.

Will see how things work out for a month - and then upgrade to Philips Xtreme or Osram night breaker.........

BTW, the cost of bulbs are like this:

OEM (35W) replacement bulb Halonix - Rs. 105/- to Rs. 125/- (depending on the shop / dealer)

Osram (35W) bulb purchased from shop - Rs. 90/- (bulb went kaput in three days)

Bosch (55/60W) bulb - Rs. 73.00 (Bosch authorised outlet)
Old 18th November 2009, 01:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Regarding your experience with the crappy bulbs we get, I have tried all the bulbs you have mentioned, when I was trying to improve the lighs of my Shougun (35 W) - Halonix (cant recall the model), Osram, MICO, Phillips, etc. Out of these, the Osram (Made in China... dunno where you found one Made in Germany. Maybe a fake?) was relatively the brightest. Out of these, the Halonix and Phillips had the poorest illumination. MICO (bought from authorized dealer) was just a bit better than those two, but not as good as the Osram. And as I had mentioned previously, out of all these, an ordinary (non halogen) Ravi bulb gives, relatively, the best illumination. This is the best illumination I could achieve with the stock headlamp assy.) Very strange but true.

I have heard that ordinary Stanley bulbs (imported) give the best illumination. But could not find one that fits the Shogun. Anyway, this may not be applicable for the Glady... but you might want to check it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks