Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 12:42   #1
BHPian

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle

I want to updgrade bike headlamp from 35W to 60/55w. What should I do. Is there special relay needed for bike.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which bike is this?

Please let us know more details to help you better
Old 25th May 2009, 01:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Which bike is this?

Please let us know more details to help you better
Ok. I have a KB 4S Champion (first bike so still in love with it), and interested in doing something similar. Can you please help ?
Old 25th May 2009, 08:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

What bike you are riding and how old is it ?

I think I can throw some light on this issue.

Earlier I had Caliber. The stock lamp was from Philips, 40/45W as compared to the industry standard of 35/35W. The beam throw was excellent and the intensity was not missing anywhere. Later on I thought of increasing the bulb wattage to get more light considering my fast driving routine.

I upgraded to 55/60W Halonix +60. It was very very nice, the bike ran on this bulb for quite sometime without giving any trouble till I exchanged the bike for Zeus that I am currently having.

In Zeus, when I did the same modification, the battery was drained within 60 minutes of night driving. Clearly the electricals struggled to glow up the bulb.

My general observations are :

1) Its best to change the wiring, holder and working on the coil to get reliable performance.

2) Today's bikes have the electrical system designed such that they are on threshold point. Any thing more than what is provided and then reliability is an issue. I have observed this on other bikes too, for example, Discover.

3) High wattage bulb with make the reflector yellowish, affecting the beam throw and intensity significantly in negative manner.

4) The condition of reflector is very critical to the overall performance of light. Generally from what I have experienced, the core problem is badly designed reflectors and poor beam throw.

@ mods : Sorry if my post is off-topic, but I was keen to put up views from my experience ( and experiments ).
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 19:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a "headlight" upgrade on Thunderbird

Hello all,

I am looking to change the stock headlamps of my RE Thunderbird and am lost....have no idea where to look. At the Rider Mania recently, I saw some bikes with some great beams but I am certain that the Battery, wiring etc has been changed. Is there any way that just changing the Halogen bulb alone can bring a difference? I have heard of HID. Is that useful. Costly, yes but if it can provide a great beam without strain on the battery, that is fine.
Old 28th May 2009, 14:09   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_own_xeta_glx View Post
Ok. I have a KB 4S Champion (first bike so still in love with it), and interested in doing something similar. Can you please help ?
In 4S Champion, if you need to upgrade the headlamps you need to do re-winding.
Old 28th May 2009, 22:12   #7
BHPian

I've very recently changed the standard 40/45W Philips on my RE 500LB to HAlonix 55/60W. The light is excellent. I haven't changed anything .. wiring / holders / etc. Just bought the bulb and installed it myself; just a matter of 3-4 minutes.

I bought the bulb from Sampada / Swapna Automotive on J.C. Road which is is just above the RE authorized spare parts shop. It costed just Rs. 75/-.

The 500LB comes with a 14Amp battery. Hence my guess is that the wiring / alternator should be able take the required load.

Last edited by junkishya : 28th May 2009 at 22:14.
Old 28th May 2009, 23:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
.. changed the standard 40/45W Philips on my RE 500LB to HAlonix 55/60W..
The 500LB comes with a 14Amp battery. Hence my guess is that the wiring / alternator should be able take the required load.
No worries mate, it'll be fine for normal running. May be you feel a momentary dip only when you take a turn ie., indicators, brake & honk all with headlight On. The battery picks over almost immediately from the dip.

Some one pls comment on the continuous night usage of 5-6 hours. stress on battery / chargers?

Cut the load: remove Ammeter bulb, change pilot lamps to 1w/ Leds, change tail lamp to 5/10W. Hope you run low beams as much possible, Bullet's high beam can give much glare to oncoming traffic with this rating & being DC powered. I'm running Philps x-treme power on Electra for last 6 months. Btw, dealer name is m/s Sandhya it seems.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
I've very recently changed the standard 40/45W Philips on my RE 500LB to HAlonix 55/60W. The light is excellent. I haven't changed anything .. wiring / holders / etc. Just bought the bulb and installed it myself; just a matter of 3-4 minutes.

I bought the bulb from Sampada / Swapna Automotive on J.C. Road which is is just above the RE authorized spare parts shop. It costed just Rs. 75/-.

I cannot use this option on my Thunderbird as it is the 12 battery. Damn, any other options that we lesser mortals have?
Old 29th May 2009, 17:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
I'm running Philps x-treme power on Electra for last 6 months. Btw, dealer name is m/s Sandhya it seems.
What is the wattage, what are the changes? I recently bought a preowned Electra and I find the headlight extremely poor. I am seriously thinking of an upgrade and have been searching for the way out.
Old 29th May 2009, 18:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
What is the wattage, what are the changes? ...
its a 55/60W. Changes: H4 (HS1) Beam & holder. Make sure you have higher rated battery (as 14Ah on all ES models) to be on the better side.
Old 31st May 2009, 01:28   #12
BHPian

Upgrade for Pulsar!

Guys I have Pulsar 150 DTSi (2004 model). I want to upgrade the headlight badly. Please suggest which wattage bulb should I go for. I don't know the stock wattage, just know it's a Phillips. Do I need to go for relay?
I enquired from an accessory shop on Sarjapur road, he said Pulsar can even go for 90/100W bulb without any change in wiring! But I really doubt him!
Old 31st May 2009, 04:22   #13
BHPian

90/100 -- No way, definitely melt the reflector

Instead install Avenger 180's coil and put 60/55W bulb.
chepest yet safest option. I have done numerous night tours with this config
Old 31st May 2009, 10:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Do I need to go for relay?
I enquired from an accessory shop on Sarjapur road, he said Pulsar can even go for 90/100W bulb without any change in wiring! But I really doubt him!
Yes, you are correct in your doubt. Anything over 65W and wiring will have to be changed.

I think that Eliminator/Avenger have more powerful lamps. Try putting their electricals in your bike. But dont go for any bulb higher than 60-65W without making changes to coil and other electricals.
Old 31st May 2009, 20:44   #15
BHPian

Thanks guys! I'll definitely consider your suggestions :-).
One more help please, is there any bulb available within 65W range that has more light than the stock ones?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks