Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 01:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Shogun and other old bike's spark plugs...

Guys which spark plugs do you use for the Suzuki Shogun? What are your experiences?

TVS has recommended NGK BP8HS. However the NGK parts finder recommends BPR7HS or BPR7HGP (platinum), which are hotter plugs. What is of more concern is that these are resistor type plugs, whereas the plug recommended by TVS (BP8HS) is a non-resistor plug. The other recommended plug the MICO W5BC is also a non-resistor plug.

Now the issue is usually companies use resistor plug caps or spark plugs. Using both of resistor type is know to have detrimental effect. So how do I find out if my plug cap is of resistor type?

Also is a resistor type plug ok for use in the Shogun... considering its older ignition system?

I just bought a NGK G Power (BPR7HGP) and somehow i feel the performance has suffered a bit... though the bike feels smoother when idling and at lower RPMS. Anybody here using this plug has any experiences to share?

For those looking for non resistor type plugs and are unable to find the NGK BP8HS (this should be available with TVS dealers for almost double price), the other equivalent plug, the BOSCH W5BC is a non resistor type and hence possibly the best alternative.

I'd really like to know other Shogun / Rx 100 / etc user's experiences with resistor type plugs (where the original recommendation is for non-resistor plugs)...

Last edited by Raccoon : 23rd April 2009 at 01:35.
Old 24th April 2009, 15:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nobody is bothered about their sparkies?? :(

Anyway, I'd been to the TVS ASC. The spares dept. now has several NGK BP8HS plugs... but the price was Rs. 166/- Trust TVS to charge almost triple... for something thats supposed to be priced around Rs. 70!

Problem is BP8HS no longer seems to be available with NGK... as its a non-resistor plug. I guess I'll be better off buying MICO W5BC at a saner price.
Old 24th April 2009, 19:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Earlier I was using a champion plug(dont remember model name,but will check as i still have the plug with me).

Then I switched to NGK BPR7HS,and it worked fine.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Champion?? Do they have a plug for the gun?? Its not mentioned in the manual at least...

You did not find any change in performance or fuel efficiency with BPR7HS? I feel a slight drop in performance. But its difficult to make a definite statement about small differences. I think I'll buy MICO W5BC soon and check... after I check the fuel efficiency with the BPR7HS.

I asked a TVS supervisor if the plug cap is of resistor type. He said no. But I'm not buying that unless I see it written somewhere or I can test it somehow...

Dosen't anybody know how to test the plug cap/adapter??? :(
Old 25th April 2009, 18:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'm using the Mico W5BC.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^^For which bike... Shogun??
Old 25th April 2009, 18:26   #7
BANNED

Boss, even TVS would not have done so much R&D on the Shogun as you are doing .

Just get a MICO plug and it'll run fine.
Old 25th April 2009, 18:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^For which bike... Shogun??
No, for the RX-135. The mech says its a good plug. That and also the NGK 8HS.
Old 25th April 2009, 19:08   #9
BHPian

I use W5BC for all my 2 strokes. Getting BP8HS in india will be tough. U would have to import them otherwise. W5BC will work fine.
Old 25th April 2009, 20:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Boss, even TVS would not have done so much R&D on the Shogun as you are doing .

Just get a MICO plug and it'll run fine.
Thats good, eh? Lets see where I can mebbe improve on the TVS R&D...

I'm sure the MICO in question would work fine... but the question is about NGK's recommendation resistor type (& hotter) plugs where the original specification is for non-resistor plugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I use W5BC for all my 2 strokes. Getting BP8HS in india will be tough. U would have to import them otherwise. W5BC will work fine.
As I said in the 1st post, if you want the BP8HS, you could get them from TVS parts dealers/showrooms at Rs. 160 something (as a TVS packed genuine part). At least they are available with the dealer here.

Called up Bosch India... the guy seemed v professional, quite eager to help and knowledgeable, but when I asked him about resistor plugs with resistor caps, he said thats an intriguing issue I'v brought up, and he would need to do some research to comment on it. He took my phone no. and said he would call back in a few days. No reply yet to my email to NGK though.
Old 26th April 2009, 00:17   #11
BHPian

Rode a shogun almost everyday from '95 to '01. Always used the W5BC. It performed well under regular street use and hundreds of km of hard rally riding. I think that its the best option for whats basically a simple two stroke bike.
Do not think that the other plugs will make any significant difference. If it ain't broke...
Old 26th April 2009, 00:39   #12
BHPian

My 1995 Shogun came with a NGK BP8HS spark plug fitted. There after I never got a genuine NGK stuff, market is flooded with duplicates. I would recommend MICO BOSCH W5BC. Till I sold my bike last Dec (2008) I used MICO with out any trouble. Go for it, but clean it and adjust the gap at every 750-1000 km.
Old 26th April 2009, 00:42   #13
BHPian

My 1995 Shogun came with a NGK BP8HS spark plug fitted. There after I never got a genuine NGK stuff, market is flooded with duplicates. I would recommend MICO BOSCH W5BC. Till I sold my bike last Dec (2008) I used MICO with out any trouble. Go for it, but clean it and adjust the gap at every 750-1000 km.
Old 26th April 2009, 12:49   #14
BHPian

Racoon mail this thread link to tvs and you will defently get a job in there R&D department, a BPR7HS ora W5BC is fine with the shogun.

Are you taking part in any antique competition in near future ?
Old 26th April 2009, 16:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Cleaning at every 750 km??? Whenever I'v opened my plug, theres hardly anything there to clean... still I take it out about once a year just to check. Gap is also good for longer than that. I'v only used a genuine NGK BP8HS till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Racoon mail this thread link to tvs and you will defently get a job in there R&D department, a BPR7HS ora W5BC is fine with the shogun.

Are you taking part in any antique competition in near future ?
If I can bag that job, you can expect better stuff from TVS, for sure...

Think my gun can compete in such a competition?

Well, this happened to me once again couple days ago - was taking a friend of mine pillion. Friend is of course not a auto enthusiast nor knows much about auto stuff. While we were going up a steep fly-over, you can imagine the kind of noise the gun makes... my friend was like - is something wrong with your bike? Why don't you get it serviced? Bikes don't make noises like this. Yours is even belching smoke... please get it serviced!

So much for TVS R&D...

Well, I found out that the next lower heat range number means a higher plug temp of about 100° C. So the BPR7HGP dosen't sound like such a good idea... esp. in these sweltering summers! And I still don't have good answers to many other questions... esp. the resistor part. :(

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th April 2009 at 16:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks