Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 13:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I would suggest an FZ 16 S..it looks swanky and the colour combo is awesome
+1 to that, I too would suggest the FZ 16 from Yamaha.
If you could spend more go for a R1-5.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

dude get a RTR FI or wait for the 180cc RTR from tvs, they are the closest to what you need IMO.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:03   #18
BHPian

Get a TATA Nano and drive it on 2 Wheels

Wait for Ninja 250.....
Old 14th May 2009, 15:30   #19
BHPian

Sir, wait for the soon to be launched Apache 180.

Thiyags
Old 14th May 2009, 17:32   #20
BHPian

someone on this forum already has an apache 180
Old 14th May 2009, 18:06   #21
BHPian

Joel aka Fieroid May have a 180 Apache, But no one seems to be happy with the 160 FI wala Apaches, don't know the situation on the forum ,but off the forum that is the condition,poor build quality,bad A S S , high spare prices and low reliablity levels and too many complints reported in a short time, Seems like a Tata/Fiat or a Bajaj Product. There is no point in selling a Bajaj and buying a TVS anyday.
Old 15th May 2009, 01:43   #22
BHPian

Wait and watch

Streetbikes from Bajaj-KTM to be unveiled at Auto Expo 2010

KTM is on its way
Old 15th May 2009, 03:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you were stuck with a Lemon, my 220 has no issues whatsoever. Never did. Its almost done 2 years.
Old 15th May 2009, 04:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Joel aka Fieroid May have a 180 Apache, But no one seems to be happy with the 160 FI wala Apaches, don't know the situation on the forum ,but off the forum that is the condition,poor build quality,bad A S S , high spare prices and low reliablity levels and too many complints reported in a short time, Seems like a Tata/Fiat or a Bajaj Product. There is no point in selling a Bajaj and buying a TVS anyday.

dude this is one of the first times i am hearing this about the 160 fi. how true is this?
Old 15th May 2009, 05:16   #25
BHPian

The TVS mechanic in my small town lives just near my Amby workshop he said the bike is plagued with problems, also seen a lot of guys with the 160RTR facing a lot of issues with the bike,mostly related to electronics (CDI,Starting,Starter Mortor) but the Ver 1.0 Apache 150 seems like trouble free.
Old 15th May 2009, 08:48   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

@Munmeek: No offenses. I respect your views and opinions and also the TVS Mechanic. But here in Bangalore I have a couple of friends having the RTR Fi. they are more than happy with the bike, touch wood!! no problems till date and hope so it remains the same.

Also one thing that needs to be understood here is that the Apache or the RTR electricals are a little complicated, playing around it without having an indepth knowledge would definitely screw up things.

Joel has been playing around with the RTR with so many mods and what not. I have never seen the bike let him down in the middle of the road. My Apache 150, converted into a 180 cc (complete RTR set up including looks in 2007) is still running fine. It has never let me down till date. I am definitely proud to tell this. I would like to disagree to the fact that Bajaj has better build Quality than TVS.

But everybody has his own views. No problems with that.

Cheers!
Old 15th May 2009, 16:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Joel has been playing around with the RTR with so many mods and what not. I have never seen the bike let him down in the middle of the road.
And add to that, I ride down to the track in modified trims(over 18bhp with 165cc) and the tacho never settles below 7000rpm (relines at 12k rpm). Thats a torture for over 4 hours and approx 350kms one way and the throttle is hardly eased. All this with a stock bottom engine and electricals. After having clocked over 20k kms in the last 1 yr, it has not even showed a sign of wear and tear and my abuse is the worst that engine can ever get. Countless track sessions and about 4-5 race sessions are over, it runs without a hitch.
At this rate, any other Indian 4-stroke will give way.
My R15's engine is stripped at home and in its span of 12k kms over the last 6 months the connecting rod has already cropped a 1.2mm play which if was pushed like my RTR would have snapped by now. The engine was all the while close to stock and not a high compression set-up like my RTR.
The Fiero/RTR is a Suzuki developed motor and the most well engineered unit. Can take a lot more abuse than what you can expect.

The RTR/Fiero has the highest potential for modifications among any Indian 4-stroke sold in the country today. Testimony is my Drag Fiero. Lets not talk about reliability and whatever crap the kerala mechanic has said is baseless. Some headless buggers might even call a BMW unreliable if the issue was only a blown fuse. They confuse so effectively. Such is the Indian evaluation on products.
Pulsars have the best record of internal break-ups and the most obvious quality diasters. people still buy that.
I see a lot of guys cribbing about the RTRs/FIs issues, well we've not seen anything as such. Its either the mechanic is dumb and explains the wrong terms to the customer coz he is not aware or the jobs are not done right at the A.S.S. Dont blame the bike coz of a bad dealer.

A simple example is the engine noise issue from the RTR. Many owners crib. TVS has communicated a million times to the TVS dealers to set the valve clearances at 0.08mm for exhaust and 0.06mm for inlet, but the dealers over do. the engine still remains noisy or gets worse. In the end the product is blamed. Its the case all over the country.
And CDI and coil conking is the most unheard case. The dealer could have done something stupid and short the CDI. Again the product is blamed.
I personally own 2 brand of bikes and I can clearly say that TVS' quality is in a lot of aspects equal or better than a Yamaha. An R15 evidently for that matter.

Last edited by fieroid : 15th May 2009 at 16:18.
Old 15th May 2009, 16:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
And add to that, I ride down to the track in modified trims(over 18bhp with 165cc) and the tacho never settles below 7000rpm (relines at 12k rpm). Thats a torture for over 4 hours and approx 350kms one way and the throttle is hardly eased. All this with a stock bottom engine and electricals. After having clocked over 20k kms in the last 1 yr, it has not even showed a sign of wear and tear and my abuse is the worst that engine can ever get. Countless track sessions and about 4-5 race sessions are over, it runs without a hitch.
At this rate, any other Indian 4-stroke will give way.
My R15's engine is stripped at home and in its span of 12k kms over the last 6 months the connecting rod has already cropped a 1.2mm play which if was pushed like my RTR would have snapped by now. The engine was all the while close to stock and not a high compression set-up like my RTR.
The Fiero/RTR is a Suzuki developed motor and the most well engineered unit. Can take a lot more abuse than what you can expect.

The RTR/Fiero has the highest potential for modifications among any Indian 4-stroke sold in the country today. Testimony is my Drag Fiero. Lets not talk about reliability and whatever crap the kerala mechanic has said is baseless. Some headless buggers might even call a BMW unreliable if the issue was only a blown fuse. They confuse so effectively. Such is the Indian evaluation on products.
Pulsars have the best record of internal break-ups and the most obvious quality diasters. people still buy that.
I see a lot of guys cribbing about the RTRs/FIs issues, well we've not seen anything as such. Its either the mechanic is dumb and explains the wrong terms to the customer coz he is not aware or the jobs are not done right at the A.S.S. Dont blame the bike coz of a bad dealer.

A simple example is the engine noise issue from the RTR. Many owners crib. TVS has communicated a million times to the TVS dealers to set the valve clearances at 0.08mm for exhaust and 0.06mm for inlet, but the dealers over do. the engine still remains noisy or gets worse. In the end the product is blamed. Its the case all over the country.
And CDI and coil conking is the most unheard case. The dealer could have done something stupid and short the CDI. Again the product is blamed.
I personally own 2 brand of bikes and I can clearly say that TVS' quality is in a lot of aspects equal or better than a Yamaha. An R15 evidently for that matter.

man do these dealers have a proper quality Feeler gauge? that and laziness coupled with ignorance is causing all this bad reputation on the product.

and as per the electrical problems on the bike goes, man most of the times its the customer's fault, they install LEDs, bigger horns, Head light bulbs and the likes.

and in doing so, when a horn a installed the not so bike savvy customer gets a power horn installed with out a proper RELAY or Cutout, and mostly the bike's wires are sliced and cut by these road side installers just for the ease of installation and this leads to all kinds of problems on FI bike. Come on man the stock head light relay designed to take a 35/35W bulb is over done with either a 55/60 or a 100/90W bulbs which is one of the other reasons.
same is the case with the number of leds installed on the stock Parking wires of the bike.
Old 15th May 2009, 16:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Joel: That was a great input.

Is it still required to talk about the Fiero engine platform. I bet not too many people will anyway understand. Give a good styled bike, people will queue up to buy it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks