Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2019, 08:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enfield Explorer - My first love story

Rekindled an old memory. In 1986, Dad had an option to choose between the Yamaha RX100 and Zundapp Explorer, and he chose the latter - much to our misfortune. The neighbours Yamaha never needed any repairs but our was always in the dock. I believe each and every part of the engine was changed, but still, the bike would not run well. So many times we used to push and start the bike. But those days were different. A sick bike would get more love, so we endured and endured. Spending more than the purchase price. The bike was a looker! In fact, when I was buying the RTZ, Dad suggested I buy the Zundapp Fury (the only bike with alloys and front disc, those days). I took countless test rides from Enfield showroom on JC Road. Anyways, after over a decade the bike was sold off to a 'kabadiwala' for Rs 3000 - the metal was heavy I guess.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 22:47   #17
BHPian

Though I planned to start restoration back in 2009-10, I couldn't do it for all these years. Family priority took all the time.... and just failed, even everytime wanted it to start.

Now, sitting at home due to lockdown, started the work. Couldn't procure any item, contacted couple of shops, though hardly I know anyone selling such items anymore. And unfortunately, not much help from the community too.

However, everything got dismantled. Fortunately, the engine is still in very good condition. Cleaning and minor repair work on the engine part already done. Now waiting for basic parts to assemble it again.

And without workshop manual & Parts list - its becoming a Herculean job.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Explorer - My first love story-77438cb12a7a4c6697807e7996bce145.png  

Enfield Explorer - My first love story-4086138cefe44336967f6c4a258bddd5.jpg  

milindajp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 22:51   #18
BHPian

Parts are so difficult to procure. Order couple of them from Safexbike.com, but unfortunately its showing 'Oder Pending'. All means of communicating with them failed. Not sure, if actually will get the materials end of the day.

Contacted A B Auto parts (previously Gee Bee) at Bangalore as per a friend's recommendation, but without wiring kit, absolutely nothing is available.
milindajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 22:12   #19
BHPian

A few updates :

Ordered couple of spares from Delhi based safexbikes.com. After 2 weeks of wait, order was showing pending. All phone calls, WhatsApp messages were ignored. Lastly, email them and asked for refund. Fortunately, that was done without any more delay.

Enfield Furry owners group came forward with big help. Gave reference of a shop (Sri Murugan Automobiles in Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu). To my surprise, they are really fast and reasonable. Immediately despatched the materials required.

So, here are the items I could source so far :

1. Original Piston with ring (STD)
2. All bearings
3. Clutch Gasket
4. Bore packing
5.Head Gasket
6. Borger Condenser
7. Rear brake switch
8. Original front number plate
9. Point set
10. Oil filler plug
11. Set of four fork rubbers
12. Oil seals

A few more items left, then can start assembling the engine.
milindajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 12:00   #20
BHPian

Bringing it back to life piece by piece...

By any chance, anyone have a copy of the Owner's Manual. As far as I remember, the last page have a detailed diagram of the wiring.

If anyone have, will you please share it.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Explorer - My first love story-144cb9e288774c7594ab842b4df6fddd.jpg  

Enfield Explorer - My first love story-fc9433955ca040e6bb8dd9a18e21f3b6.jpg  

milindajp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks