Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I have bought the '76 Standard as of this minute and want to restore the bike to its original state and maintain the bike well.
Hats of to you Bro! Its guys like you who will keep the flag of the grand old bike flying high!

As i said before, i dont think you should have a problem findin gthe spare parts of the CI bullets because as on date they are still in production. If RD's can be kept running in such fantastic condn despite being out of prodn since 91 then so can bullets.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Its like naach na jaane aangan tedha (some one please translate )
Doesn't know to dance, the floor isn't straight. Pardon me, but I am a big fan of Beetle Nuts on 9XM

Coming back to the topic, I don't think it has anything to do with RE not selling enough bikes for phasing out the Classic. From whatever I have read of RE, off late, they are doing pretty good. In fact, they are planning to increase their production capacity as the numbers are growing.

Last edited by safari_lover : 22nd June 2009 at 17:00.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
The "bajaj bashing" has a link to this topic Technocrat: the death of the Std 350 classic has a lot to do with flooding of the market with cheap and efficient "bikes" by manufacturers like Bajaj. Ofcousre Bajaj is not the only one, but they are certainly the one manufacturer which started the trend of flooding the market.

Bajaj etc have volumes which enable them to keep costs low and thus crowd out of the market a manufacturer like Royal Enfield which focuses on quality over quantity.

The death of the 350 line is a sign that Enfield is loosing out to these big guys making these small bikes. Sad but true.

I dont know man I was once in an all Bullet meet & some of the Bulleteers were teasing the Electra & TB owners that they ride RE bikes & not Bullets.

not the right kind of bulleteers i am sure! 'cos a real bulleteer does not differentiate between fellow bulleteers! :P

What were you doing in a bullet meet though? Planning on buying one? chalo der se aaye par durust aaye!
RE focussing on quality? They have one of the worst QC. I have to say that despite being a big Bullet fan myself.
Sure they are the only manufacturers rolling out motorcycles which appeal to the heart rather than the head! And I respect them for that! Let them maintain the high pricing for exclusivity sake/ profitability sake, but I would request better levels of quality for that kind of price point. I dont think any Bullet owner would be insistent that his prized possession should throw tantrums soon after purchase!
I believe the STd 350 will sell for few years more as it has strong steady sales, atleast in this part of the country(also it has the highest resale value) but as someone said emissions could be a problem. I sure hope they continue to sell the STD350.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Emissions, not falling sales is the reason why RE is pulling the plug on the CI bulls.

The Machismo 350 already has the TBTS's engine. Next we'll see the UCE350 on both the Electra and the STD. Next year, we'll have the UCE500FI debuting.

Though some people here might choose to disagree, the STD350 is a legend and will go down as the most recognisable/respected motorcycle among the masses in India. Nobody can take this fact away from the legend.

True, RE's quality control sucks, but a leisurely 40 in 4th with the CI350 heavy crank engine thumping away is music that is magical. I am sad that the STD350 has to go. Finally the classic won't be sold new from the showroom.

Regarding the spares scene, Nandan was mentioning something about starting off with his custom spares once RE stops making the STD350. Anyway, there are too many STDs around. So, spares won't be much of an issue for a long long time.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree with this statement & would really miss the Classic if RE decides to pull the plug.

Quote:
the STD350 is a legend and will go down as the most recognisable/respected motorcycle among the masses in India. Nobody can take this fact away from the legend.
Old 22nd June 2009, 18:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Though some people here might choose to disagree, the STD350 is a legend and will go down as the most recognisable/respected motorcycle among the masses in India. Nobody can take this fact away from the legend.

Regarding the spares scene, Nandan was mentioning something about starting off with his custom spares once RE stops making the STD350. Anyway, there are too many STDs around. So, spares won't be much of an issue for a long long time.
The Standard 350 has been a true legend inspite of its shortcomings and will be missed - with some nostalgia!

And JayPrashanth, is that Guru Nandan?

Yup, but with so many old Standards running around, spares will not be a problem - I hope!
Old 22nd June 2009, 19:03   #22
BHPian

Bad news. Now I need to go and buy one. How am i going to explain this to the wife?
Old 22nd June 2009, 19:49   #23
BHPian

first the CI 500 died out and now we hear about the "death of the old horse". I guess it is time to move on.The Government has strict EURO IV norns coming into force March 2010.

From what I remember hearing from RE folks is that, Investment is made only in the UCE and the LB to make them Euro IV compliant.
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well, I am also thinking that RE would have considered running the UCE on the Standard but would have feared the backlash of the chest-thumping "only Standard 350 is the real Bullet" Bulleteers!
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:40   #25
BHPian

I think there are enough number of bullet 350s around as it is one of the few bikes that never gets scrapped. It is always passed over from generation to generation . Also R.E must be earning more from selling spares than the bike sales. I don't think the supply of spares is gonna stop.
But IMHO Bullet 350 was one of the few production vintage bikes and are a vital part of world motor cycling heritage and hence they should be allowed to be produced atleast in limited numbers atleast. Think it's time to get hold of a bullet 350 probably a 60's to 70's model.Used bullet prices are gonna hit the roof.
Made like a gun...goes like a bullet!
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

No need to worry about spares for the good old CI 350, for at least another 10 years, by which people would start hoarding it, like it is happening with the RD scene.

It was always known that CI engines will be phased out, the question was when. I remember reading an interview with the then CEO of RE, where he said they want to limit the number of engines in their line-up to streamline production. Emission norms too played a part.

All said and done, the Bullet charm is now lost forever. Though more powerful and efficient, none of the new engines can hold a candle to the venerable CI 350. The thump was definitely to die for, Bullet aficionados across the world will tell you. Others probably aren't bikers anyway
Old 1st July 2009, 16:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The "bajaj bashing" has a link to this topic Technocrat: the death of the Std 350 classic has a lot to do with flooding of the market with cheap and efficient "bikes" by manufacturers like Bajaj. Ofcousre Bajaj is not the only one, but they are certainly the one manufacturer which started the trend of flooding the market.
Who is this guy,....wakey smell the coffee !!

Mods can we really allow meaningless ramblings like this which add no value to go on by certain members !!
Old 1st July 2009, 22:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Emissions, not falling sales is the reason why RE is pulling the plug on the CI bulls.

The Machismo 350 already has the TBTS's engine. Next we'll see the UCE350 on both the Electra and the STD. Next year, we'll have the UCE500FI debuting.
yeah its the emission norms that is the real cause for pulling the plug on the ci bullets.

and i do not think that the machismo has "already" been launched with the tbts engine yet.
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
the death of the Std 350 classic has a lot to do with flooding of the market with cheap and efficient "bikes" by manufacturers like Bajaj.
what point are you trying to make ? Just because someone else makes cheaper, relatively well-built and reliable machines, are they to blame for the demise of a very old, low-tech, inefficient, expensive and relatively not so reliable motorcycle ?

The Std 350 has its charm but its because of it being a "classic", but well how many "classics" can you continue to sell and for how many years?!

Quote:
A manufacturer like Royal Enfield which focuses on quality over quantity.
A friends brand new Bullet 500 ends up with leaky front forks in one month (less than 1K Kms), the chrome has rusted in less than 6 months and the engine had to be opened up for some other problem. The only reason one puts up with this is because of the "classic" status!

Quality? I don't think so, especially when you can get more reliable used cars for the same price as a new bullet !

Quote:
The death of the 350 line is a sign that Enfield is loosing out to these big guys making these small bikes. Sad but true.
Who is stopping RE from making more efficient bikes at cost effective prices that are reliable and of reasonable build quality - if they do, well why would anyone buy any other bike !
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Mods can we really allow meaningless ramblings like this which add no value to go on by certain members !!
The rest of us are talking about the Bullet which is what this thread is about. Is that reply you typed out have any relevance to the discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
what point are you trying to make ? Just because someone else makes cheaper, relatively well-built and reliable machines,
cheaper yes, relatively well built and reliable: no. Try reading through the posts on the Bajaj Pulsar forums. The original lot P220 was a quite a lemon, though they seem to have improved it in their latest iteration! But that is the story with every new bike or car for that matter.

Quote:
A friends brand new Bullet 500 ends up with leaky front forks in one month (less than 1K Kms), the chrome has rusted in less than 6 months and the engine had to be opened up for some other problem. The only reason one puts up with this is because of the "classic" status!
Sad to hear about your friend, but it seems this friend of yours knows pip-squat about the RE or bikes for that matter and seems to have bought a bullet merely for owning the biggest bike on the block or the "classic" bike. He has only himself to blame. And are you saying that leaky front forks etc happen only on bullets?

I havent had to open up my bike for well after 2 years of extensive touring: and that too was done only for a preventive maintenance check.

Quote:
Who is stopping RE from making more efficient bikes at cost effective prices that are reliable and of reasonable build quality - if they do, well why would anyone buy any other bike !
RE does have its task cut out: and educating the indian buyers will take a fair bit of effort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks