Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Modifying my Electra 5S

I have been working on my one year old 350 Electra 5S done 9K KM.

Mods Done > I like to work myself on the bike and I did all the mods myself.

1> Sealed Off the pulse air valve.
2> handle bar from the Thunder Bird(Very comfortable and good handling)
3> Took Off the self start sprag clutch as it was making noise.
4> Added free flow air filter from HP (Costed rs 300)
5> Rejetted the carb ( Replaced the 90 jet with a 100 one)
6>Took off some of the glass wool from the standard silencer.

Issues >

Free flow noise : The Free flow carb and rejetting has made a significant improvement in terms of performance but the free flow makes a lot of hissing noise as the carb sucks air. I have mounted the filter on the carb itself. I tried mounting it before the silver air box but that would make the fiter prone to water and mud being thrown off the back wheel and I had to remove the air filter box as well. Is there a way of reducing that.

Bigger sprocket : I have been looking for a bigger sprokit for the bike, I tried Karol bagh but looks like there are none available for the Electra 5s as the 16 tooth sprocket is diffrent from the one that fits the 4S or the standard, because of the self start assembly the inner casing is diffrent and the front sprocket sticks real close to the inner casing as compared to 4S or standard, Has anyone added a bigger sprocket(18-19 tooth) on to the 5S. Where can I buy one.

Regards
Rajnish

Last edited by bhogalrajnish : 1st July 2009 at 16:51. Reason: spel check
Old 1st July 2009, 18:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi Rajnish,
nice mods (they are important).

Free flow noise :i think you should change thr air filter.(or change silencer to louder bass amplifier one)

Bigger sprocket : it will increase initial pick up & torque but limit your top speed

best way Do-It-Yourself (DIY) way.

Last edited by jeepster : 1st July 2009 at 18:17.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
hi Rajnish,
nice mods (they are important).

Free flow noise :i think you should change thr air filter.(or change silencer to louder bass amplifier one)

Bigger sprocket : it will increase initial pick up & torque but limit your top speed

best way Do-It-Yourself (DIY) way.
Yes looks like I will have to change the Air filter, Has anyone used a K&N on the enfield ? Dose the K&N also make the same noise I know HP filter is a cheap one and K&N may be better else I will go in for the standard old style filter box which is better than the new filters as they are almost free flow.

Bigger Sprokit should increase the top speed and reduce the initial pickup if I am not wrong.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:22   #4
BHPian

Introducing my Electra 5s and plans for Modification

Veterans, thinking of doing some slight modifications on my Electra 5s. I am planning for some serious rides during the coming months, both solo and team.

About my Bullet, she is an untouched beauty till date. We started our journey together on a fine day at February 2007.Our first ride was a Kerala Bangalore trip. She was hardly 250km old when we did that trip. From that day till today, many rides, much fun and just two minor slips.

She have a pair of Roots heavy duty horn, Runs on 3 months old Exide backer(her 3rd battery) and a pair of MRF (rear) and Ceat secura sports (front).
This is in short, about her.

My areas of concerns now are:
1) Poor headlight (I use a Philips halogen, not sure about other details)
2) Bike once halted when I turned headlight, but started after I simply shake the wirings inside headlight unit.
3) Poor front braking after getting wet

New ideas:

1) Upgrading the head light (I really need to do this at the earliest)
Plan is to get an Autopal doom and fix an appropriate bulb (advice needed)
2) Putting a solo seat

Please, all your ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated and accepted. As I am a beginner at modification ideas, please guide me.
Attached Thumbnails
Modifying my Electra 5S-upload2.jpg  

Modifying my Electra 5S-upload5.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2011, 22:39   #5
BHPian

Re: Introducing my Electra 5s and plans for Modification

How about retrofitting with a Bi-xenon HID projector with an Angel Eye??

Modifying my Electra 5S-mediummxs012bi_xenon_projector_headlight_bullet_classic1303972706.jpg

Last edited by salbin : 23rd September 2011 at 22:42. Reason: edit
Old 25th September 2011, 21:47   #6
BHPian

Re: Introducing my Electra 5s and plans for Modification

i am not sure about angel eyes,but hid is an option.I need to collect more info on this.
Old 27th September 2011, 22:23   #7
BHPian

Re: Modifying my Electra 5S

please check this and let me know your views HID KIT For Car & Bikes | eBay
Old 28th September 2011, 15:28   #8
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2011 at 16:28.
white-rabbit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th September 2011, 16:52   #9
BHPian

Sorry buddy I'll leave the advise part to more knowledgeable folks on this forum, but do have a query. I tried looking for a K&N filter but could not locate any shop that sells the same in Chandigarh. Any pointers from where I can get the same in Delhi? Also, how complicated is the upjetting process?

Can you post some pics of these two steps? I am planning the above mods, but being an absolute novice not sure how to proceed. Thanks.
Old 29th September 2011, 11:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Come on guys,no body got any ideas?No body interested in DIY mods?
Being with a Bi-xenon HID projector for almost 2 years on my bike I would say, if you are tourer, your needs will be very much sacrificed with a bi-xenon projector. In cars, its some what better than the stock halogens especially low beam but when it comes to high beam, its a pain to see the distant peripheral due to the projector's legal cut off design. Its not opening fully even on the high beam, the shield and the solenoid is sitting in the middle of the projector.

This pic will tell you more:

The entire thing sits inside the reflector
Modifying my Electra 5S-p1010108a.jpg

Unit dismantled
Modifying my Electra 5S-p1010109a.jpg

The shield which enables high & low, note the size of the shield and imagine the opening window.
Modifying my Electra 5S-p1010107a.jpg

When it comes to a bike, the mounting position is too higher than its mounting on a car, so ineffect its positioned downwards to light up the vehicle surroundings, if you mount it parallel your low beam will be sacrificed and your low beam will be acting as high but not as a good high beam. If you put it on high beam it will light up the tree tops instead of lighting up the road ahead. I guess you've got what I meant. This is why most of the cars are using a combo of projector low +reflector high which offers unmatched low beam spread from projector with a high penetrating pencil beam from reflector.

I would suggest you to go for a halogen upgrade than going for a cheap/reputed HID conversion kits as its totally illegal and blinding others and last and not the least, it will reduce the distant visibility by putting on the reflectors as the optics design, focus and the light source are different for a HID to get a better output. Halogens are the best for our weather conditions as most of the retrofit HID kits are 6000K and above which is not good for visibility in extreme weathers like rain and fog.

If still cant take off your eyes from the HID conversion kits, there's a good news, a round reflector emits less glares than the other shaped ones due to its perfect pencil beam ability, but a polarized glass will make it worse. If you can source a clear lens like TBTS, it will be a good upgrade.

The link you've provided shows its got only 30days warranty, which shows its not a good one else, they could give you a min of 6months warranty. There are kits available for 1200 onwards, so make a survey before settling for a useless CT. Go for 4300K which is close to day time light and gives you better visibility. Add to bit more spice, other CTs are cop magnets as they can easily differentiate the color from far. Search for nearby accessory shops for a 1 yr warranty stuff by paying couple of bucks more and its easy to negotiate with them in case if you have an issue with the kit.

I hope your ride is a full DC one, am not aware of a bull much as I belong to new gen bikes category.

Last edited by sajjt : 29th September 2011 at 11:12.
sajjt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 13:34   #11
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2011 at 16:28.
white-rabbit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th September 2011, 15:25   #12
BHPian

Just returend from shivaji nagar.Tired of searching autopal doom with clear lens.I couldnt find it any where there.Need to give a try in JC road too.I purchased a spring seat and it costed me 950/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Being with a Bi-xenon HID projector for almost 2 years on my bike I would say, if you are tourer, your needs will be very much sacrificed with a bi-xenon projector. In cars, its some what better than the stock halogens especially low beam but when it comes to high beam, its a pain to see the distant peripheral due to the projector's legal cut off design. Its not opening fully even on the high beam, the shield and the solenoid is sitting in the middle of the projector.
Thanks.This cleared a lot of confusions for me.Even my mind was towards upgrading the headlight doom and just bulb.It will be cost effective too.To day i tried sourcing an autopal doom(amby one) and failed.And the unplanned one happen.I bought spring seat(just front one)..
I decided to go with normal halogens for bull.Planning to get a HID for my beat with angel and demon eye,when my friend comesback from US.Anyhow thanks sajjit.I will be calling you mostly this weekend.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2011 at 16:28. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 30th September 2011, 10:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Thanks.This cleared a lot of confusions for me.Even my mind was towards upgrading the headlight doom and just bulb.It will be cost effective too.To day i tried sourcing an autopal doom(amby one) and failed.And the unplanned one happen.I bought spring seat(just front one)..
I decided to go with normal halogens for bull.Planning to get a HID for my beat with angel and demon eye,when my friend comesback from US.Anyhow thanks sajjit.I will be calling you mostly this weekend.
Even you can consider 90/100 on Amby HL assy, there are guys who'd already done this mod just by rewinding the coil (AC lighting). Being with a round HL you can expect a good pencil beam on high beam which will give you more visibility and confidence.
Old 30th September 2011, 10:32   #14
BHPian

Hey guys, i am just planning for a small upgrade to 55/60W halogen (white light) from my 35/35W halogen. I have a 2002 RE TB and my headlight works directly from coil and not from battery. Is it possible to upgrade without doing any changes? If no, what all changes are required?
Old 30th September 2011, 13:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Hey guys, i am just planning for a small upgrade to 55/60W halogen (white light) from my 35/35W halogen. I have a 2002 RE TB and my headlight works directly from coil and not from battery. Is it possible to upgrade without doing any changes? If no, what all changes are required?
I think this can be done without any modification.2002 TB comes with a A350 engine or standard?I think it is having DC connection.Please check with few more guys,as I am not so sure about the wiring type.

Last edited by white-rabbit : 30th September 2011 at 14:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks