Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 21:46   #1
BHPian

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil

Hi,
Im looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil for my RD350. its being converted into cdi. I was looking for the earlier Denso make Coils from Maruti Wagon-R. But, the new ones available are Lucas TVS units which lacks quality. Anyone got any idea of any such Twin out put coil? From any other car. wot about the Esteem? Im looking for such a thing
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-jshop-coil.jpg  

Old 17th May 2012, 17:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any luck finding the coil Arun?

I'm looking for something exactly the same for my twin spark Bullet 500.

Any other Indian cars having 12V ignition coils with dual HT lead outputs -but of the oil-filled bottle type?

Old CB points Fiats or Ambassadors?
Old 17th May 2012, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'm looking for something exactly the same for my twin spark Bullet 500.

Any other Indian cars having 12V ignition coils with dual HT lead outputs -but of the oil-filled bottle type?

Old CB points Fiats or Ambassadors?
Is your Bullet 500 the old CI unit with CB point ignition using bottle coil?
I had a CI 350 Bullet (converted to 12V) on which i did the twinspark modification. I used two 6 volt bottle coils connected in series for two HT outputs. It ran well till i sold the bike.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Is your Bullet 500 the old CI unit with CB point ignition using bottle coil?
I had a CI 350 Bullet (converted to 12V) on which i did the twinspark modification. I used two 6 volt bottle coils connected in series for two HT outputs. It ran well till i sold the bike.
Ya its a 2002 CI Std 500 with 12V bottle coil.

I too am using two 6V coils in series for the past 6 years. It has been running well though I am not to sure about the spark strength at each plug.

Off late on long rides, especially during the daytime only, due to the heat and probably the 6V coils overheating, the bike has been misfiring badly.

We changed the RR unit, and the problem seems to have become better. But the needle of suspicion is still on the 6V coils.

I have now come to know that you can actually use two 12V coils in series as well - unlike for batteries where it would become a 24V system.

So my options are:

1) If the jerking/misfiring recurs, try two 12V coils in series and see spark strength compared to the present setup as well as if the misfiring disappears.

2) The other option is either trying two 12V dry coils (like the scooter ones - Bajaj, LML) in series.

Even the CDI/TCI Bulllets (Electra, TBird, machismo, etc) have these dry ignition coils.

OR

3) Trying out the Wagon-R dry coil shown by Arun above

The only issue is, as far as I know and have seen, dry ignition coils (without oil) are only used in CDI/TCI vehicles.

Most (all?) CB point vehicles use oil-filled bottle coils.

I am wondering if there is a reason to that.

Or can you substitute a dry ignition coil for a oil-filled bottle type coil?

Any expected issues?

Ideally, it would be nice to have a single dual output ignition coil running both plugs.

That is why I am veering towards the Wagon-R one above.

Or if I can find an Indian (car?) alternative in oil-filled bottle type as well.
Old 17th May 2012, 19:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off late on long rides, especially during the daytime only, due to the heat and probably the 6V coils overheating, the bike has been misfiring badly.

We changed the RR unit, and the problem seems to have become better. But the needle of suspicion is still on the 6V coils.

I have now come to know that you can actually use two 12V coils in series as well - unlike for batteries where it would become a 24V system.

So my options are:

1) If the jerking/misfiring recurs, try two 12V coils in series and see spark strength compared to the present setup as well as if the misfiring disappears.

2) The other option is either trying two 12V dry coils (like the scooter ones - Bajaj, LML) in series.

Even the CDI/TCI Bulllets (Electra, TBird, machismo, etc) have these dry ignition coils.

OR

3) Trying out the Wagon-R dry coil shown by Arun above

The only issue is, as far as I know and have seen, dry ignition coils (without oil) are only used in CDI/TCI vehicles.

Most (all?) CB point vehicles use oil-filled bottle coils.

I am wondering if there is a reason to that.

Or can you substitute a dry ignition coil for a oil-filled bottle type coil?

Any expected issues?

Ideally, it would be nice to have a single dual output ignition coil running both plugs.

That is why I am veering towards the Wagon-R one above.

Or if I can find an Indian (car?) alternative in oil-filled bottle type as well.
I'm not sure if the TCI coils would work with the CB ignition. CDI coil will not work with CB ignition. RD350 had dual ouptput dry coil which worked with its CB system. If you can try sourcing a replacement coil for this from abroad it might work. I haven't seen a dual output automobile bottle coil in any Indian car, i doubt if there's one since old cars use distributor.

Why connect the 12v bottle coils in series? Connect them in parallel.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 20:22   #6
BHPian

Hi,

Its an old thread. How come you manage to dig it out? he he..

No Buddy, i couldn't find a dual out put coil like that so far. I simply used two 12v units for each cdi unit for my RD350 [ 1 cdi unit per cylinder]

I've heard that the new RE CL500 (I personally owns one) comes with a twin lead HT coil like the one shown in picture (that one is not the Wagon-R one.. i just took it from the net for an example). I haven't checked this though. You just confirm this with a RE dealer workshop as they only have access to fuel injected CL500s so far. Its yet to reach the local RE mechanics.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why connect the 12v bottle coils in series? Connect them in parallel.
Ok in theory but tried and discarded in practice. Does not work. Spark very weak. Both plugs also do not spark equally. Sometimes one does not spark at all. You land up with repeat fouled and shorted plugs as a result.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok in theory but tried and discarded in practice. Does not work. Spark very weak. Both plugs also do not spark equally. Sometimes one does not spark at all. You land up with repeat fouled and shorted plugs as a result.
Hmmm...interesting. I never tried to connect two 12V in parallel since i could find 6 volt coils. 12v in parallel was suggested to me by another experienced Bulleteer who apparently didn't have any problem with that setup.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm...interesting. I never tried to connect two 12V in parallel since i could find 6 volt coils. 12v in parallel was suggested to me by another experienced Bulleteer who apparently didn't have any problem with that setup.
If that experienced Bulleteer was Prashi, on the Flying Flea, then he was also running at different times a modified twin TCI setup or a Boyer Bransden competition ignition with power box. Never on CB points.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:17   #10
BHPian

My new Royal Enfield Classic 500 EFi !! - Page 417

Here, its been described that only one cable comes out of the CL500 ignition coil which splits into two leads.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If that experienced Bulleteer was Prashi, on the Flying Flea, then he was also running at different times a modified twin TCI setup or a Boyer Bransden competition ignition with power box. Never on CB points.
Yes it was Prashi. Didn't know he was on twin Twin TCI setup. My bullet was on Eureka CB replacement kit when it ran the twin coil setup.
Old 18th May 2012, 13:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was Prashi. Didn't know he was on twin Twin TCI setup. My bullet was on Eureka CB replacement kit when it ran the twin coil setup.
With the Eureka, you could run dry coils I guess.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:44   #13
BHPian

Hello,

I am reviving an old thread. My problem is similar in nature but I am trying to locate a CDI and ignition coil for a parallel twin cylinder engine. I have so far used a Bajaj NS200 coil and CDI for my motorcycle but only one spark plug works. I read in another thread that though the NS200 coil has two plug leads, only one fires until a certain rpm and then another takes over. This may work for a single cylinder twin plug design but I have a twin cylinder engine and practically only one cylinder fires at a time with the present system.

Initially , I thought it was a problem with timing but now I think it is something with ignition system.

My question to you all is : do you know of any true twin ignition systems which fire simultaneously?.

I have a Honda cd185 twin which I have converted to 12v.
Old 12th March 2019, 16:44   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I read in another thread that though the NS200 coil has two plug leads, only one fires until a certain rpm and then another takes over.
Though that is the case with the P220 where there are two IC's firing individual SP's but on the P200NS which has 2 IC's and 3 SP's, both slave plugs are powered by a single IC and fire at the same time.

Got curious and asked a fellow enthusiast who owns an NS and he confirmed that he's tested the output with the distributor cap off, the master fires before TDC and both slaves fire together a fraction later.

In effect all 3 plugs fire during each and every stroke.
Old 12th March 2019, 20:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Though that is the case with the P220 where there are two IC's firing individual SP's but on the P200NS which has 2 IC's and 3 SP's, both slave plugs are powered by a single IC and fire at the same time.

Got curious and asked a fellow enthusiast who owns an NS and he confirmed that he's tested the output with the distributor cap off, the master fires before TDC and both slaves fire together a fraction later.

In effect all 3 plugs fire during each and every stroke.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info Mr. Ashwin. My coil has only two leads, which makes it a P220 coil I reckon. That point aside, even if I go for NS200 coil, I think it's still not a true parallel IC leads since there is a delay in ignition.

I wanted to know if bullet 350 twin spark coils are true parallel circuits (1IC , 2SP's). Further, I have also read about programmable CDI units. Apparently, they have a USB port and a software to program the firing sequence. Has anyone any experience with them?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks