Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 15:40   #1
BHPian

My RX135 – Cherry

I have a RX 135 October 2004 model cherry red color. I bought this 2nd hand at a price of 27k from Mangalore somewhere in December 2005 (the registration is of Udupi). It had 18000 kms on the odo. I thought the bike was worth the price as it looked in stock condition and I fell in love with it at 1st sight. I took a test ride on it and felt that the bike was good enough and can be tuned better with servicing. So I paid cash and took the bike with me. I named it as Cherry because of the color. I also got all the documentation done in a couple of days. I had the bike serviced and the mechanic just had to replace the bushings in the front shocks and top up the oil levels.

After about 15 days I had the bike shipped to Bangalore through VRL as I worked in Bangalore. I received my bike in 4 days. I took it home and then I saw the oil leaking from the bikes side covers. I knew that this had something to with the oil can. I didn’t know any mechanics in Bangalore but I had seen a mechanic in JP Nagar 7th phase on my way to office. I thought he was a good mechanic as I used to see some real nice RX standing in front of his workshop. He informed that the lens which indicates the oil level was loose. He tightened it by applying some m seal onto it. I took the bike and it was all nice for 1 day and the next day it again started leaking. I went back to him and he said that it’s better to change the lens as he assumed that the thread on the lens was not holding on. He replaced and I drove back home. I had a trouble free run for 2 days and then again. Phew! I went back to the mechanic and he replaced the entire oil can. Meanwhile I also noticed that the side cover was broken near the screw which holds the oil can. I think this happened during transportation. The side cover would still lock itself courtesy the rubber bush. The oil leakage problem stopped at that.

After running it for almost 1000 kms I thought of giving my bike at the A.S.S as I thought they would be the best people for servicing unlike the local mechanic where I had to go thrice just to stop the oil leakage. I went to Yamaha plaza near south end circle. Over there the supervisor took my bike for a test ride. He came back and even without consulting me, he asked the mechanic to open the engine. He then called me and said that the engine has a half seize. He also told me that the connecting rod had too much of play. I didn’t know anything about these terms as I never owned a 2 stroke before and was riding hero Honda CD100 and Passion which were almost trouble free. He then recommended having the engine block and piston changed. He said that the bike would feel like new. When I asked him the price for it, he said 10k. I was almost broken as I had shelled out 27k and bought this bike which was my dream from childhood days; another 10k was almost impossible for me. I told him that I would get it done after arranging for some money but meanwhile I asked him to do a general servicing which included oil change and other things. I took the bike from there the same eve and rode back home with a heavy heart. I was not enjoying the ride as I used to.

I thought the engine was still ok to ride as I didn’t find much trouble and I was easily able to make it to 80 – 85 kmph without any hustle. The next day I took it to the local mechanic and asked him about his opinion about the engine. He said it was ok to run, however he asked me not to speed with it. I was still not convinced, RX and no speeding, He must be kidding. I was using the bike regularly and didn’t find any trouble other than a small tak-tak sound from the engine. After riding the bike for another 1000 – 1500 kms I gave my bike for servicing. This time it was another Yamaha service centre by the name Farid motors near Lalbaugh. The mechanic over there seemed very knowledgeable. I never told him about the half seize that the previous service centre guy had said about. I just casually asked him about the tak-tak noise from the engine and he correctly said that there was little play with the connecting rod and nothing to worry. I was happy this time and went back revving my engine and making some music.

I used this bike for almost 3 years and then in March 2008 I had to leave to Dubai on a work assignment. It was going to be there for more than a year and therefore I shipped my bike to Mangalore. I asked my dad to use the bike at least once a week as I knew he would prefer the HH passion as he was more comfortable with it. Whenever I called back home I would enquire about my Cherry and my dad was insisting on selling it as he was using the HH passion more often and seldom used my Cherry. I always protested his views and insisted on keeping the Yam. No one understands the Yam thing other than the rider or someone who appreciates Yam.

I came back from Dubai in June 09 and as soon as I reaced home 1st thing was my Cherry whom I had to ask “How are you?” and it just smiled happily. I took it for a ride and I felt that tak – tak noise had become more louder than before. I thought now it was time to act upon the advice given by the 1st supervisor. I joined my work in Bangalore and my bike was still in Mangalore. I asked my dad to give it to the mechanic to have a check on the engine and take is advice on the tak-tak sound the engine was producing. He trusted a mechanic whom he thought was one of the best and experienced mechanics for Yamaha. He took the bike to him and he suggested to go have rebore done and fit in a bigger sized piston. I asked my dad to go with the advice and he charged 2500 rupees for the complete job which I thought was quite a good deal as compared to the 10000 rupees initially suggested at the A.S.S.

I went to Mangalore last weekend to get my hands and have a feel of the bike post rebore. I put on the keys and kicked the kicker. The kicker was much freer than before and it went down effortlessly scraping the silencer. I forgot to mention that it has a cat silencer, the bigger ones which came in the 5 speed version. It did not start in the 1st kick. So I had to give a couple more kicks, the engine still did not start and I could hear a misfire sound from the silencer. I put on the choke and kicked again and the engine started. I quietly observed the sound and I could hear that my engine was much more in harmony than before and did not have the tak-tak sound that was very prevalent before. However I could hear some smaller sounds that I guess is of the piston working inside to release the horses. I engaged the gear and went for a ride. I could feel that the engine was much more smoother but the torque was very less as I had to shift to lower gears very often when I slowed down or else the engine would lug and come to a halt. I did not want to rev the engine harder as I thought it would be harsh before the run in period is over. I could pick up speeds much more easily and I could see that I was touching 70 kmph effortlessly. I just kept it that speed and engine felt butter smooth. But I was still worried about the work done by the mechanic. I took the address of the mechanic from my dad and rode to him to check on the work that he did as my dad was completely ignorant about the works that the mechanic did as he trusted him. Not to blame my Dad as he is not used to all these things. I saw the mechanic and could make out that he was experienced from his age but being the best I still doubted. The mechanic said that he has just rebored the engine block and fitted a 2nd sized piston. When I told him about the kicker scraping the silencer, he said that he would get it adjusted. I asked him about the small sounds and he said that they were normal. He said to have the engine run in for at least 500 kms and then to drop it in the workshop so that he could service and reset the engine for further running. He has used castrol oil (green colored) and he recommended me to use the same in future. He also asked me to mix 10ml oil per liter of petrol as it would keep the engine smoother. He asked me to have it shipped to Bangalore after the run in period. I did not want to question him much and get some crazy looks from him. My dad never used to ask him anything but blindly pay his bills and take the bike. My bike has done approx 300 kms after rebore. Now I am waiting for it to complete 500kms so that I can have the engine serviced and reset. I want to have my bike in Bangalore ASAP.

I have a few questions for my fellow BHPians who are also RXians:
1) How is the normal feel of the bike after rebore?
2) Was my decision to go for a rebore good or bad?
3) What are the precautions that I need to take when running in my engine?
4) The kicker being much freer is good or bad?
5) Are the small sounds made by the engine normal?
6) What oil is recommended during the run in period and going further?
7) Should I continue to mix 10ml oil with petrol even after the run in period?
8) How many kms can I expect the engine to run before I get some engine problem again?

P.S.: I am typing all this sitting in office. Just enjoying this work free period . I will post pics of my bike as soon as I get hold of some.

Last edited by Dippy : 22nd November 2009 at 17:11. Reason: Post edited. Please note that a maximum of two smilies is allowed per post. Please go through the rules. Thanks.
Old 13th August 2009, 02:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, haven't gone thru your long post in detail hope this will help -

1) Engine will feel as if its not too freely.

3) Don't go beyond say 4 k RPM. Don't lug the engine either. Don't maintain a constant speed for more than a minute or so. Don't let the engine overheat.

4) If kick feels freer than normal, it usually means poor compression. In fact it should feel tighter after an engine job.

6) During running in, its probably best to use a cheaper mineral oil. Later (after 1 - 1.5 k km or so) you can use semi or fully synthetic, if you wish.

7) No. Your oil pump should be correctly caliberated and should take care of the lubing needs. You could still add a v small qty of oil in the tank to prevent rust and stuff and for some extra lubing ... but definitely not 10 ml/lt. Something like 1 - 4 ml/lt should be ok.

Quote:
He said to have the engine run in for at least 500 kms and then to drop it in the workshop so that he could service and reset the engine for further running. He has used castrol oil (green colored) and he recommended me to use the same in future.
Frankly, his responses and work all sound fishy. What is this "service and reset the engine for further running"? All very crafty answers. Ask him what he means. One the job is PROPERLY done, engine should not need to be opened for a very long time. The less you let anybody touch it, the better. Suggest you get a compression test, in the very least. Better still show the job to somone who knows the job.

As for the oil, why use only crap Castrol? There are better options. Don't expect most mechanics give you good advice regarding this. Search for the thread on dedicated 2t oils to know about other options.
Old 13th August 2009, 02:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

A passionate write up...some pics of the Cherry please.
Old 13th August 2009, 13:53   #4
BHPian

@Raccoon : Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking to have it checked by another mechanic here in Bangalore. My cherry will be here in a couple of weeks. Right now its in Mangalore.

@hillram : Thank you. Will be posting the pictures soon.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:36   #5
BANNED

Replied below in quotes to all your queries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
1) How is the normal feel of the bike after rebore?Depends upon how its done and what are the parts used for rebuilt.Maintain a proper cleareance between Piston and cylinder wall you bike will be as good as new.
2) Was my decision to go for a rebore good or bad?If cleareance has gone beyond maximum factory spec then its good to rebore it.
3) What are the precautions that I need to take when running in my engine?Never cross 50% of RPM range and good lubriction no pillion rider.
4) The kicker being much freer is good or bad?Bad compression or leaking cylinder.
5) Are the small sounds made by the engine normal?2 stroke makes sound if they are very silent means you are running very tight cleareance which usually ends up with seized engine, very low pickup.
6) What oil is recommended during the run in period and going further?Use any good 2T oil untill n unless your engine is tuned for extra power.
7) Should I continue to mix 10ml oil with petrol even after the run in period?No stop it if oil pump is doing is job properly.
8) How many kms can I expect the engine to run before I get some engine problem again?100Kms to 50-80K kms, depends upon parts used and how the rebore job and crank is done.My friends RD has done over 120K kms without any major engine overhaul and running strong compared to my first RD which i siezed within 8K kms.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 13th August 2009 at 15:38.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:40   #6
BHPian

@Ajaybiz : Thank you very much for all the advice. I am just waiting to get my bike to bangalore. I will be getting a compression test done and i will need your suggestion for a good mechanic here in bangy. I stay in Bannerghatta road.
Old 14th August 2009, 10:01   #7
BANNED

Dont trust blindly any mechanic get involved yourself in what he is doing specially choosing spare parts, reboring and crank job.Vijaydeep is the best in Bangalore to get the rebore job done, KGN Auto Works for crank job.
Search for a good and understing guy near your place who is willing to work as per your choice.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Dont trust blindly any mechanic get involved yourself in what he is doing specially choosing spare parts, reboring and crank job.Vijaydeep is the best in Bangalore to get the rebore job done, KGN Auto Works for crank job.
Search for a good and understing guy near your place who is willing to work as per your choice.
@Ajaybiz : I am very keen to learn the mechanicals but afraid to experiment with my bike at the same time. I think its time now to get my hands dirty . Thanks for the suggestions
Old 17th August 2009, 12:41   #9
BHPian

Here comes the picture of my cherry. Feed backs please :
Attached Thumbnails
My RX135 – Cherry-image23261.jpg  

Old 15th September 2009, 13:49   #10
BHPian

Cherry - Update

Its now time to update about my Cherry.

Many things have happened with my Cherry in the past 1 month.
Some moron in my apartment building used my bike’s tank as a scribbling pad and had made some serious scratches with a sharp object. I had to get the tank painted and also meanwhile I got the bike serviced for the 1st time after rebore.

Bike has run almost 600 kms after rebore. The kicker which was initially free is back to normal after service which means that the compression is good. I had not clocked the bike more than 70 kmph before servicing but after servicing clocked 90 kmph and I felt I could do more but stopped at it.

My bike was lying in Mangalore all this while and I decided to get it to Bangalore where I work. So I zeroed on VRL logistics for shipping my bike. They charged me 970 bucks which includes packing charge of 225 bucks. I had given special instruction to the person who is in charge of packing regarding how he should be covering the bike and also tipped him 30 bucks. I was very paranoid about my bike’s safety during transportation as these people are known to making dents and breaking things.

I finally got my bike here in Bangalore after 4 long days. I had to pay another 40 bucks while taking delivery. I checked the packing on bike and found it to be neat and better than the other 2 bikes which were lying around. The person over there started removing the packing layer by layer and I was getting more and more nervous as I didn’t want any damages on my bike. Once the packing was completely removed noticed that the right front indicator was broken and also the rear number plate was bent. I felt like smashing those people for the damage but held myself as it was really minor as compared to some other bikes that I have seen getting damaged.

I had taken 1 liter of petrol with me as the petrol is drained before loading the bike. I took the bike outside the godown and filled petrol in the tank. I kick start and my bike roars in the 1st kick and I was really happy. I never expected it to start in the 1st kick and that was the last time it started in the 1st kick. That’s the sad part now . Now my bike never starts in the 1st kick and some times it takes more than 5 kicks to start off. This has really taken my confidence off on switching off my bike in signals. I always used to switch off the engine at signals and now I don’t dare to do that. It actually spoils the whole image of the bike when it does not start in the 1st kick. It has been running smooth apart from this starting problem.

Can anyone suggest why the bike is having a starting problem considering that the spark plug is new? What should I do to have this problem rectified?

The previous mechanic has used Castrol TT oil in the oil can. It’s almost gone empty now. Is it recommended to go with the same oil or should I try something which is better. I am planning to stop using the oil can and instead have oil mixed with petrol. Is it OK for me to do this? Does that have any effect on the engine considering the engine has been recently rebored?

Please provide me with your valuable suggestions.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:58   #11
BHPian

Oil Can is better

I have read from a passionate 135 owner that Oil can is better than mixing it with the fuel. He was also a previous petrol pump owner and was worried about the impurities apart from the not that great lubrication.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:19   #12
BHPian

I do not know much about this motorcycle, but basic engine principles apply nevertheless. Your starting issue is almost definitely caused by a minor issue. It could be one of the following:
  • If the bike uses a typical gapped spark plug, was the spark plug gap checked before you installed it? A gap that is too wide or too narrow will certainly cause starting and running problems.
  • Make certain the carburetor is jetted properly - especially since the engine's bore was increased. The larger bore size may require a different fuel jet. Also, be sure the carb is completely clean inside.
  • Test the spark and make sure it's strong.
  • Finally, a general going-over of the bike may reveal something - kinked fuel lines, shorted wires, etc. Look it over carefully.
As for the oil, I do not know this model of motorcycle - is it oil injected?
Old 15th September 2009, 14:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice bike. Is the red color stock? I somehow can't seem to recall seeing one in thuis color. I have seen this color on RX 100s.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I have read from a passionate 135 owner that Oil can is better than mixing it with the fuel. He was also a previous petrol pump owner and was worried about the impurities apart from the not that great lubrication.
Point noted. Now i need to find a good brand of 2T oil to go in for the oil can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1go View Post
Make certain the carburetor is jetted properly - especially since the engine's bore was increased. The larger bore size may require a different fuel jet. Also, be sure the carb is completely clean inside.
  • Test the spark and make sure it's strong.
  • Finally, a general going-over of the bike may reveal something - kinked fuel lines, shorted wires, etc. Look it over carefully.
As for the oil, I do not know this model of motorcycle - is it oil injected?
Yes, this is a oil injected 2 stroke engine. I will be checking on the jetting and spark from the plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Nice bike. Is the red color stock? I somehow can't seem to recall seeing one in thuis color. I have seen this color on RX 100s.
Yes, this is a stock red colour. You can see very few of these as it was introduced post 2004 on RX135.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
[b]

Can anyone suggest why the bike is having a starting problem considering that the spark plug is new? What should I do to have this problem rectified?

The previous mechanic has used Castrol TT oil in the oil can. It’s almost gone empty now. Is it recommended to go with the same oil or should I try something which is better. I am planning to stop using the oil can and instead have oil mixed with petrol. Is it OK for me to do this? Does that have any effect on the engine considering the engine has been recently rebored?

Please provide me with your valuable suggestions.
Besides the other points mentioned, please make sure you are using the right spark plug. RX also uses MICO W5BC, I believe.

The oil pump is given for a reason... its always better to use it, provided you are careful about the things you should be careful about.

Please check the dedicated 2t oil thread for the best oils you can use. In short, amongst the best are Motul 510, Petronas 5000. Motul 800 is the best, but its ment to be used as pre-mix only.

Most Viewed