Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2005, 10:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

tips on riding this old classic

Hey people I am coming back to India for some time. My friend has got me an old yezdi to drive when I reach. can some1 please help me on how to drive it. I have driven it but only briefly. ANy help is welcome. especially about the kick and gearbox. Its the classic model.
Old 14th August 2005, 10:47   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kickstart lever and the gearlever is the same in Yezdi. Its an all-down gear-shift pattern i guess. Neutral between all gears.

You could also chk this link on the Yezdi : Yezdi Review
Old 14th August 2005, 13:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Hey people I am coming back to India for some time. My friend has got me an old yezdi to drive when I reach. can some1 please help me on how to drive it. I have driven it but only briefly. ANy help is welcome. especially about the kick and gearbox. Its the classic model.
Well even I havn't yet got a chance to ride a Yezdi yet, I wanted to know about the gear shift pattern & stuff about this beast!
Old 13th September 2005, 22:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

hello friends,

just been back last week. I drove this beast and you know what?? this bike really rocks. I didnt use the kicker as I didnt want to get myself injured. the power seams through all the gears. before I knew I was flying into the 80kmph. my friends said that the mileage was 25kmpl approx. it was the deluxe 2 model. I wonder how the roadking will go?

btw I am surprised that the yezdi website is still on the web. a look on all the models and sales figures is available.

http://yezdi.com/
Old 14th September 2005, 10:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tip # 1: Lean forward on the Yezdi at any speed over 60. The front end tends to lift, but a shift in posture will more than compensate and make the bike stable.

Tip # 2: Go for one of the classic Jawas or the Roadking. The Classic or Deluxe models arent as good as these.

Tip # 3: You can run this vehicle on any fuel from Kerosene to Spirit-burner spirit...

Tip # 4: You will never have to search for neutral - you'll find it, between all gears.

Tip # 5: With careful practice, this is the ONLY bike with a reverse gear. There is a knack to it - the crank will turn in reverse direction if you get the piston to a particular position before kick starting it - that is achieved through rigorous practice. If you are very very unlucky, you may also find this position inadvertently at which point you will travel backwards when you shift gears.

All said and done, this is the cheapest bike to maintain, and you can do all the trouble-shooting yourself. Its as simple as two-strokes can possibly come and you can travel on this vehicle even if you break an accelerator or clutch cable, as long as your pillon rider gets the timing right with the broken cable in his/her hand. Trust me - I've done this before.

And lastly, it is a much better cruiser than any of our so-called 'power bikes' today. Only the Bullet and the RD350 cruise better and even then the latter requires 3 digit speeds in order to cruise comfortably.
Old 14th September 2005, 10:39   #6
BANNED

There is a Yahoogroup which might help you
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/yezdi

There'll be a lot of swearing going around but if you need any help, be assured that these guys will go all out to assist.
Old 14th September 2005, 10:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

I already have used it now. I find the yezdi to be a masterpiece.

Steeroid that news about running it on any fuel is really intresting and new to me though.

I think there was also this yezdi 350 which sold in limited numbers. there was an article on it in bsmotoring. they said it ws not as fast as the rd but had its own charm.

can any1 let me know why the website is still up? www.yezdi.com
Old 14th September 2005, 11:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Steeroid that news about running it on any fuel is really intresting and new to me though.
Guys in college used to run it on kerosene. Only, it smelt like an old kitchen stove after a bit of running and the riders got a not-so-charitable nick that also stood for 'cook' among other things.

Then there were those who mixed petrol and diesel to run them. The chemistry lab occasionally lost a can of spirit, too...
Old 14th September 2005, 11:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

now I cant even laugh at that. my stomach is paining. but my friend runs it on petrol. the firing is pretty cool too.
Old 14th September 2005, 11:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Then there were those who mixed petrol and diesel to run them. The chemistry lab occasionally lost a can of spirit, too...
*LOL* You are kidding me on the kerosene and diesel bit aren't you? Which college btw?
Old 14th September 2005, 15:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
*LOL* You are kidding me on the kerosene and diesel bit aren't you? Which college btw?
Maharaja's, Cochin. And I'm NOT kidding about Kerosene, Diesel or Spirit. That bike may run on any cumbustible fluid...
Old 14th September 2005, 15:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Back in 1990's, we used to ride a Yezdi classic on a daily basis. This bike had no effective braking, and we used the gears instead. However, to our dismay we found the breaks working very well on rainy days.
Old 14th September 2005, 18:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Maharaja's, Cochin. And I'm NOT kidding about Kerosene, Diesel or Spirit. That bike may run on any cumbustible fluid...
Awesome then. The Yezdis I have driven were never ab-'used' to this extent. One I drove in Trivandrum during my CET days and left a certain RX-100 owner near East Fort quite stunned. The other was that of my boss in Bangalore. Nice bikes. I liked them better than the Enfield.

BTW, how is your RD doing? Yamaha is planning to open up another arm to service vehicles other than those sold by YMIL. Any idea if RDs will be covered?
Old 14th September 2005, 20:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys in college used to run it on kerosene. Only, it smelt like an old kitchen stove after a bit of running and the riders got a not-so-charitable nick that also stood for 'cook' among other things.

har...har...har....har........great... but them being chem students, couldn't petrol be "fabricated" in the lab itself, as a project or somethin'..?? maybe 50 litres a week....??

Quote:
Its an all-down gear-shift pattern i guess. Neutral between all gears.
if i remember correctly, it's a one-up three-down pattern (talkin' about the 250 classic)....

devarshi, there's just one main thing- don't forget to pump the kick a few times before starting the bike....
Old 14th September 2005, 21:03   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
devarshi, there's just one main thing- don't forget to pump the kick a few times before starting the bike....
And then don't forget to 'change' the kick starter to the gear shift lever

Jokes apart, one of the most stable motorcycles ever. Have fun riding it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks