Team-BHP - What to do ? AVL and STD.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   What to do ? AVL and STD. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/71593-what-do-avl-std-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfire_9 (Post 1647045)
Hey there,

Yes the new pistons come with 5 rings, 2 are helper rings that have been added now, but I cannot be sure as to when they started coming. I learnt about this during one of my visits to a mechanic & saw him rebuilding an engine.

About Samrat products, their rockers had a problem as they were all aluminium. Later they supposedly improved upon them but have no solid information. Their high output oil pumps though have always been good. I personally know of at least two people who have been using them. The only problem is that they are hard to come by.

About the mechanic, I used to go to a mechanic, but my bike's now in Delhi. But if I may ask, what was the inclination to ask about my mechanic?

Happy thumping,
Prakhar

Well, the query about the mechanic has a bit to do with the the extra rings in the piston. Since I'm visiting home (Chandigarh) this weekend, thought I'd do a bit of research about the same with the mechanics there, including the one you (used to) visit. But, I guess I'll just ask the mechanic who's been fixing my bike for the past 18 years, until early-mid 2009 when I brought my bike to Noida - Satnam Singh in sec 38 west.

Now that you mention your bike is in Delhi, who do you go to there? I have yet to check out Ess Aar motors suggested by desideep. I figure if I have to scout for mechs, I might as well check out others in the same trip.

Other than that I was just plain curious. It's one of the things one Bullet owner asks another.

After your reply to this post, we ought to move any further discussion (if any) on this to PM. I know I started it. That's why I feel I should respect the topic of the thread and not change its direction (should it be possible to do so.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennjit (Post 1639837)
10 'Offerings to the Bhagwan of thump' :), can we have some photos?
I guess you suspect some issue with crankcase & so want to use the Avl half. In that case its Good, top that Avl case with CI barrel. iirc, CI rod necessitates a height adjustment at cyl base. Rest i'll try check m/c shop guy who did base works.

Hey Rennjit sorry just noticed your Post i am posting a pic of the Thumper and yours truly enjoying a moment together on a trip back home that was 225 Km in 4 hours with a small 15 minute break with the front wheel wobbling like a wobble head. because of an accident a month ago of this ride. this pic is from feb this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desideep
..a pic of the Thumper and yours truly enjoying a moment together trip back home that was 225 Km in 4 hours with a small 15 minute break ..

Don't know how good old STD's are for such runs. I ask photos of those busted Pistons if any you have, wondering what a short run-sieze would mark like.

oh hahaha. i thought that you needed a pic of the bullet it self.. yes i have one of the pistons lying about i think certainly would try to find it and post some pics. i have dones quiet a few such trips on this bullet.

let me list some.

1. Bathinda - Gurgaon - 345 Kms.
2 Gurgaon - Agra - Gurgaon (Via Faridabad).
3 Delhi - Manali - Leh - Srinagar - Ludhiana - Bathinda - Delhi
4 Delhi - Varindaban - Delhi around 6 Trips
5 Delhi - Chandigarh - Delhi Twice
6 Chandigarh - Bathinda - Chandigarh Twice
7 Delhi - Patiala - Delhi
8 Delhi Jaipur Delhi.

I had got my bullet done in September end 2007 IIRC.

It has never given me any problem on any of these trips apart from the First one when the engine had done just 25 Km's before i decided to take it to Gurgaon all the way 345 Km's where the tappets became to lose that i thought i had broke the engine.
second time it was on my first trip to Varindaban. when the piston seized. and one was on the way to Chandigarh when i met with an accident and the bike had a bent front wheel and 9 broken spokes of the rear wheel and i rode it in that condition for around 5 KM's hehe.

Quote:

After your reply to this post, we ought to move any further discussion (if any) on this to PM. I know I started it. That's why I feel I should respect the topic of the thread and not change its direction (should it be possible to do so.)
Dont worry man i dont beleive in the whole thing about some one hijacking my thread, go on ask any thing that you want to regarding a bullet thats fine cause i will get to learn.

----UPDATE----

Hi all, waited for long my bike was with my mechanic. even after almost bit of a time. the bike had not been touched. Now on this saturday the engine was taken off the bike, the AVL was split in to half.
the work has been started.

The work to be done now.
------------
1 Using the AVL Crank case with the AVL oil Pump
2 Using the Crank weights and the CONROD from STD, the shafts on both ends are the AVL to accomodate the OIL PUMP on right and the Electronic on the left.
3 Using the Adjustable camshafts. (Cause they have a oilflow thing in them)
4 Using the STD Timming Pinions
5 Tapet Valves are from STD
6 HEAD is the same old one.
7 The Piston Kit is going to be brand new with 5 ring piston.
8 An opening is going to be made in the crank case for the breather.
9 All electricals are being changed to the CDI setup
10 I Think i am going to be happy man now.

Thanks
Keep Thumping.
Desi D

10/10 for your perserverance Desideep. Blowing 8 pistons must qualify for the Guiness Book.My instant gut feeling was the piston to wall clearence was not to manufacturers spec: if it seized in the bore that would account for that. If the piston was holed on the crown, ignition timing or fuel could be the culprit.The damaged piston should give a clearer indication. Worked on high performance parallel twins where if you were out by a thou on ignition that equated to 2 degrees on the shaft which was touch and go when running with an 11.5:1 CR. I'm no expert on singles only wished I got my hands on the Manx 500 and the G50 matchbox. Cheers

Hey Deep,

Nice to see that the work has started on "Jeeta".

Had a small query, is there any specific reason for what has been suggested in point no.8 below.

Also, I feel you should also make some changes to the head as well, basically the rocker assembly. From a simple logic, what I understand is that if you are increasing the oil flow through a better oil pump setup, you need to also increase the supply line to the valves. The oil pressure increase in your case would help but it would be better if this is coupled with a setup that allows for a better flow + more quantity. Think about it & share your views here. Also there was a simple thing that we can try out, will call & share.

Take care.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar

Quote:

Originally Posted by desideep (Post 1689212)
Dont worry man i dont beleive in the whole thing about some one hijacking my thread, go on ask any thing that you want to regarding a bullet thats fine cause i will get to learn.

----UPDATE----

Hi all, waited for long my bike was with my mechanic. even after almost bit of a time. the bike had not been touched. Now on this saturday the engine was taken off the bike, the AVL was split in to half.

The work to be done now.
------------
2 Using the Crank weights and the CONROD from STD, the shafts on both ends are the AVL to accomodate the OIL PUMP on right and the Electronic on the left.

Thanks
Keep Thumping.
Desi D

Quote:

Originally Posted by desideep (Post 1689212)

----UPDATE----

The work to be done now.
------------

Thanks
Keep Thumping.
Desi D

Thank you, Bhaaji, for the liberty.

Where can one get this kit and how much does it cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterblader (Post 1689226)
10/10 for your perserverance Desideep. Blowing 8 pistons must qualify for the Guiness Book.My instant gut feeling was the piston to wall clearence was not to manufacturers spec: if it seized in the bore that would account for that. If the piston was holed on the crown, ignition timing or fuel could be the culprit.The damaged piston should give a clearer indication. Worked on high performance parallel twins where if you were out by a thou on ignition that equated to 2 degrees on the shaft which was touch and go when running with an 11.5:1 CR. I'm no expert on singles only wished I got my hands on the Manx 500 and the G50 matchbox. Cheers

i am not sure what was the problem but i feel that it was just that i had some real bad timming with me luck. i would love to lay my hands on a english twin but still long time for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfire_9 (Post 1692814)
Hey Deep,

Nice to see that the work has started on "Jeeta".

Had a small query, is there any specific reason for what has been suggested in point no.8 below.

Also, I feel you should also make some changes to the head as well, basically the rocker assembly. From a simple logic, what I understand is that if you are increasing the oil flow through a better oil pump setup, you need to also increase the supply line to the valves. The oil pressure increase in your case would help but it would be better if this is coupled with a setup that allows for a better flow + more quantity. Think about it & share your views here. Also there was a simple thing that we can try out, will call & share.

Take care.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar

The breather has to be out from some where cause of the high presure in the crank case. in the TB or the AVL the breather is from the head. so here i dont want to mod the head or just play with it thats why it will be the normal one and will see if the breather can end up in the crank case itself i mean all the oil that comes out goes back to the crank case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Sid (Post 1692932)
Thank you, Bhaaji, for the liberty.

Where can one get this kit and how much does it cost?

i am not sure how much but i think i was told it would be around 2500 lets see where can i get one will let you .. so where are you from any ways?

------------
Update
------------

- The Crank is redone - 1150 Rs.
- The Crank case has been fitted with the STD tappet valves and the TB camshafts (Adjustable)
- The Crank case, timming and cluth side has been buffed.
- Electricals bought
- Loctite bought.
- Engine assembly begines tomorrow.

Good that works progressing:thumbs up. This being the only thread here on such conversion, pls post some WIP photos too. it will be useful as a reference.

good progress.
keep us posted with pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desideep (Post 1692937)
i am not sure how much but i think i was told it would be around 2500 lets see where can i get one will let you .. so where are you from any ways?

Got a friend back in Chandigarh (where I'm from) to find out the price of the kit. 4 piston rings kit - Rs 2500 - same price you told me.

Can you post pics of the unassembled engine? If it's assembled now, pics of that will be fine. Would like to see what the hybrid looks like.

By the way, when piston in your bike failed, did you get the whole cylinder kit changed each time or just the piston with an overbore?

So you from chandigarh thats great. lets see if we can ride to chandigarh togather sometime. yes will try to see if i can get somepics. the engine was all cleaned today may be it would be assembled tomorrow. the hybrid looks no different than the normal AVL bottom. just the crank rod is longer and the Crank weights are different. thats all the main difference would be when you would see the Engine from the timming side cause then one may realised that there is a CI top on the AVL bottom. baki i we would try to meet up soon after the bike would be built complete.

The connecting rod is longer? So, does it have a longer stroke? I thought you used the rod and flywheels of the Standard. That's why I'm interested in pics of the unassambled/partially assembled engine. Who are you getting this job done by, anyway?

I don't know if I'll be going to Chandigarh after I get a new oversized piston (or cylinder kit) or get it done in Chandigarh itself. Still trying to weigh the pros and cons of both options. Been running the bike with a rattling piston for 4000 km now. Do showroom guys do overboring? Which is the best place to get that done? In any case, I'll be getting the gearbox serviced and kickshaft bush installed in Chandigarh only. Where is your hometown?

Now my folks want me to switch to an FZ16 because they say I should ride a bike that performs better and is maintenance-free. The FZ might give me nearly 40 kmpl which is way more than the 25kmpl my Bullet gives me. For some reason, I'm really really interested. Of course, in that case I would get to ride my Bullet only once a month as I'll have to hand it back to my brother in Chandigarh. No one in my family will sell the Bullet off, though. Too much historic value.

Would definitely like to meet up and see your bike up close... whenever both our schedules permit.