Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 20:07   #16
BANNED

Re: Honda Unicorn Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_b2 View Post
Thankyou..
Its a 2005 model
I asked you because this was a common problem with this model as I too have owned one for 3 years though mine was 2006 model.

The 2005 model was famous and many customers had this issue.

A suggestion to you: Please get the rust on the silencer pipe a stop. Spoils the look and is not good.

Anurag
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 23:27   #17
BHPian

Does anybody have Unicorn's service/workshop manual. I tried searching all over the net, couldn't find one! Need one asap!
Old 28th July 2013, 20:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval-mehta View Post
Does anybody have Unicorn's service/workshop manual. I tried searching all over the net, couldn't find one! Need one asap!
Here you go !
http://mediafire.com/?kch6li69z9v6b1i
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 11:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj View Post
Hi All,

I own a Honda unicorn, which is of five months old. I need one help regarding the vibrations coming from this bike. I used to travel almost 60Kms/day as a part of my daily travel to office and back. I cruise on this bike from 50-60Km/hr. The problem pop up when the speed exceeds 45Km/Hr. A slight amount of vibrations start coming up from the back break pedal and from the petrol tank, These vibrations remains there as long as the speed is above 45Km/Hr or the RPM is above 3500. When I took it to the dealer he says that these vibrations are normal and keep away your foot from the back break pedal to avoid these vibration reaching in to your body (I think once the seat start the vibration, then he may suggest that don't sit on the bike to avoid vibration reaching to the body). If I cant keep my leg over the back break pedal on the speed above 45Km/Hr then how will I manage in case of emergency stop? There are two different dealers are here in my native place, Both the dealer have the same answer to this issue, "Normal vibrations". Because of these vibrations and long distance travel my leg started getting small amount of pain. It would be great if any one of you can help me sort out this issue. Even if these vibrations are there the, I really love the bike. The bike is so smooth that you won't really feel any kind of discomfort if you travel at speeds 40Kms or so. If I can rectify this vibration problem then this bike would be great bike for me which satisfies all my requirements.

Thanks and Regards
Manoj
of the main reason for vibration from a unicorn is mainly from the rear around the tail light.. Its been loosely fitted. You can also check with the visor & speedconsole if any screw is loose..
Old 5th August 2013, 10:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

A suggestion to you: Please get the rust on the silencer pipe a stop. Spoils the look and is not good.

Anurag
How do we get the rust to stop getting more on to the silencer pipe. I too have the same type of rust in my Unicorn.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
How do we get the rust to stop getting more on to the silencer pipe. I too have the same type of rust in my Unicorn.
If the rust seems to have developed pretty deep and spread a lot, the cheapest option would be to buy a new pipe. There is an option of sandblasting and chromeplating it again after galvanizing, but so much for a tailpipe is unnecessary.

If it is surface rust and hasn't spread much, the best method (tried and tested) is to buy a can of WD-40, should cost you about 250 for the jumbo can, spray it over the rust AND to the insides of the exhaust, then use steel wool to clean the entire rust away and then pour some phosphoric acid over the rusted area (it'll form iron phosphate over the bare iron instead of iron oxide/rust), then sand it off a little using sandpaper and get it chrome plated. It should suffice as good as new and the whole procedure should cost you about 500 bucks.
dhaval-mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 16:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
If it is surface rust and hasn't spread much, the best method (tried and tested) is to buy a can of WD-40
Somehow missed this reply. Will check if the rust is too much or just started too.

BTW, some time in 2007 water seeped into my petrol tank and it was coughing my bike a lot. Came to know about this water thing when given for service. Last week, filled up petrol on a rainy day on a new petrol bunk. There is no roof and it was drizzling. So I believe some rain water would have accompanied the petrol, because, my bike is again coughing. But it was not that worse like before. This coughing is very minimal and occasionally when ever I don't accelerate, engine dies.

How to clear this?
Old 4th October 2013, 20:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
How to clear this?
Did the water from the rain seep into the petrol tank when it was closed or did you leave the cap open to the rains? In case it seeped, get the fuel cap rubber checked and replace if needed.

About the water that's already in, remove the fuel tank from the bike, the carburetor and the fuel line. Open up the tank cap and open the drain bolt and empty every last bit of liquid from the tank. Then leave it in the sun (till the tank gets really hot and you are sure anything inside is vapourised). Next the important part, open the carburetor's sump part. That is the semi cylindrical part on the bottom of the carb which is usually held by four screws and will give you access to the float. Empty the fluid inside. (What's happening is, petrol being lighter than water floats on it and the float tends to think the reservoir is full but there is actually water which tends to cause the jerks or stalling that you are facing). Then just clean the carb with compressed air or in case you dont have access, use petrol to clean it.
Fit everything back and it should work all fine!

A service centre might charge you around 300-500 depending on what kind of greedy guys they are. But I'd suggest you do it on your own. All you need is a 13-14 spanner, a screwdriver and an air compressor/petrol for cleaner.
Old 5th October 2013, 10:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
A service centre might charge you around 300-500 depending on what kind of greedy guys they are. But I'd suggest you do it on your own. All you need is a 13-14 spanner, a screwdriver and an air compressor/petrol for cleaner.
Water doesnt seep in, the cap is still tight. When the attendant was filling, drizzles went in, I doubt.

The DIY seems tough, but nevertheless will give it a try.

Atleast a litre of petrol should be available in the tank now. Can I still use that petrol or use them for just cleaning?
Old 5th October 2013, 10:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Water doesnt seep in, the cap is still tight. When the attendant was filling, drizzles went in, I doubt.

The DIY seems tough, but nevertheless will give it a try.

Atleast a litre of petrol should be available in the tank now. Can I still use that petrol or use them for just cleaning?
Use that petrol for cleaning... If it has water, you wouldn't want it to get into your carb again...
Old 18th October 2013, 16:19   #26
BHPian

My Honda Unicorn engine seems to feel very hot after riding for 20kms. I have been riding this vehicle for the past 5+ years. I have never tried to feel the engine heat so far. Yesterday, when I reached home (after 20km ride), I touched the engine of the Honda Unicorn and it was so hot that I had to remove the hand immediately. The fins on top of the engine are even hotter. I am not sure if this is normal for a Honda Unicorn engine.

There is absolutely no issue with the ride, noise etc in the engine. Infact, the bike returned from service in a authorized service center just 3 weeks ago. Do you think the engine heat is normal?
Old 18th October 2013, 16:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Do you think the engine heat is normal?
Do you have any problems with the engine oil? Leakages, absence, lesser than required, etc?
Old 18th October 2013, 17:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Honda Unicorn engine seems to feel very hot after riding for 20kms. I have been riding this vehicle for the past 5+ years. I have never tried to feel the engine heat so far. Yesterday, when I reached home (after 20km ride), I touched the engine of the Honda Unicorn and it was so hot that I had to remove the hand immediately. The fins on top of the engine are even hotter. I am not sure if this is normal for a Honda Unicorn engine.

There is absolutely no issue with the ride, noise etc in the engine. Infact, the bike returned from service in a authorized service center just 3 weeks ago. Do you think the engine heat is normal?
Hi @gopikb

I believe your engine is running low on engine oil. Check engine oil levels regularly & top it up when it falls low. Plus, reduce your service intervals to make sure your bike is in hands of experts, who can help you avoid being stranded on roads on a bad day.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 19:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any problems with the engine oil? Leakages, absence, lesser than required, etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @gopikb

I believe your engine is running low on engine oil. Check engine oil levels regularly & top it up when it falls low. Plus, reduce your service intervals to make sure your bike is in hands of experts, who can help you avoid being stranded on roads on a bad day.
Hi dhaval_mehta, Cardeep, As indicated in my email just now, the vehicle service was done in Silicon Honda, Mysore road (Honda authorized service center) just three weeks ago. But I am not happy with their quality of service. I took delivery of the vehicle and was riding to office. After about 10 kms from service station, the chain guard suddenly went loose and was caught between wheel and chain. Luckily, I was crawling in Bangalore traffic due to which it did not lead to a major accident. It looks like the technician did not tighten the screw of the chain guard properly which has led to the issue.

Now based on your inputs, I am forced to think that they might not have changed engine oil. I checked the level of oil and it looks ok. But maybe they did not drain the old oil instead just topped it up. I will go to shell and replace the oil with 20W40 grade from Shell. Thanks for your inputs. It looks like even a company like Honda takes Indians for granted.
Old 18th October 2013, 19:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. It looks like even a company like Honda takes Indians for granted.
Could be a genuine mistake sir. Anyways do make sure that you fill up 1L engine oil instead of the regular 600ml the mechanics put. And that again after complete draining after old oil. Should run fine after that I believe.

God forbid if your engine still heats up, it could either be because of worn out oil pump (rare but possible) or most probably because of worn out valve guides, piston rings or cylinder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks