Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2005, 11:18   #1
BHPian

Honda Unicorn Help

Hi All,

I own a Honda unicorn, which is of five months old. I need one help regarding the vibrations coming from this bike. I used to travel almost 60Kms/day as a part of my daily travel to office and back. I cruise on this bike from 50-60Km/hr.

The problem pop up when the speed exceeds 45Km/Hr. A slight amount of vibrations start coming up from the back break pedal and from the petrol tank, These vibrations remains there as long as the speed is above 45Km/Hr or the RPM is above 3500. When I took it to the dealer he says that these vibrations are normal and keep away your foot from the back break pedal to avoid these vibration reaching in to your body (I think once the seat start the vibration, then he may suggest that don't sit on the bike to avoid vibration reaching to the body).

If I cant keep my leg over the back break pedal on the speed above 45Km/Hr then how will I manage in case of emergency stop? There are two different dealers are here in my native place, Both the dealer have the same answer to this issue, "Normal vibrations". Because of these vibrations and long distance travel my leg started getting small amount of pain. It would be great if any one of you can help me sort out this issue. Even if these vibrations are there the, I really love the bike. The bike is so smooth that you won't really feel any kind of discomfort if you travel at speeds 40Kms or so. If I can rectify this vibration problem then this bike would be great bike for me which satisfies all my requirements.

Thanks and Regards
Manoj

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2018 at 21:46. Reason: formatted for readability
Old 22nd August 2005, 11:50   #2
BHPian

Rubber Spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj
A slight amount of vibrations start coming up from the back break pedal and from the petrol tank.
Hi!

There are rubber spacers below the tank to reduce Vibration check if they are worn-out, in general service the remove and check the rubbers, there are chances that the rubber spacers is missing or worn-out and about the back breaks check if the break leaver is too close to the foot rest or in contact with it. you can get this checked at any local meck or do it yourself.

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2018 at 21:46. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 22nd August 2005, 12:14   #3
BHPian

Hi Hellcat,

Thanks for your reply, I will check these things, but how the foot rest can be in contact with the back break pedal? Or is there any rubber bush is there in between these two, During the first few hundred Kms the vibrations from the break pedal was not there, Or since because of the speed restriction, I may not have noticed. The vibrations start coming after the second service (>3000 Kms). As there were no speed restriction, I used to travel bit fast, I remember, the dealer saying that all the parts in this bike is kept using rubber bushes. So is there any possibility of having a worn out in the rubber bush between the break pedal and the frame of the bike?

Thanks and Regards
Manoj
Old 24th August 2005, 08:53   #4
BHPian

I have checked the bike fully, no worn out rubber bushes and the break pedal is not touching the foot rest. what else can be the reasons?? help. I raised the same question to HONDA too, but no reply yet... Do any of you have any mail ID of experts at HONDA? If so please pass on to me.....
Old 24th August 2005, 11:03   #5
BHPian

Do any of you have any mail ID of experts at HONDA? If so please pass on to me.....[/quote]

Hi! try this link... http://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/c...us/default.asp

Bangalore Office

Kareem Towers,
#19/5 & 19/6, 2nd Floor
Cunningham Road,
Bangalore - 560 052.
• Tel 22282419 / 22384090 / 91
• Fax 22282409

Mumbai Office

Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd.
Sagar Tech Plaza-B, Unit Nos. 305-308, 3rd Floor,
Sakinka, Andheri (East), Mumbai – 400072
• Tel 022 – 2850 9989
• Telefax 022 – 2850 9829

Head Office & Factory
Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd.
Plot No. 1, Sector 3
IMT Manesar, Distt. Gurgaon
Haryana - 122 050.
• Phone +91 - 124 - 2290911-19, 2290926-28
• Fax +91 - 124 - 2290891, 2290890

Write to them or call them....tell them about you problem and you are not happy with you service and laidback attitude of the Mecs in Honda.
Old 24th August 2005, 14:53   #6
BHPian

Hi HellCat,

Thanks for the information. I talked to HONDA people in Bangalore. Regarding the petrol tank vibration: As per the bike design the engine in the bike is centrally mounted and there is no underneath support for the engine. The engine is like a hanging element on the bike frame. So once the engine starts vibrating these vibrations will pass on to the bike frame and these vibrations will get reflected in the petrol tank. As per their reply this is not a problem and it can not be rectified too. The person whom I have talked to itself have the same problem in his own bike. so no other way, but to suffer, Then regarding the break pedal vibration issue he will get back to me...

Thanks for the information hellcat.
Manoj
Old 24th August 2005, 16:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj
Thanks for the information. I talked to HONDA people in Bangalore.
Ok so that's all he has to say a design flaw by Honda I was in an opinion that Honda makes good quality bikes....but I guess that is only for the other market and not for India, i guess since its India its that Chalta hai attitude like the other manufactures in India. I think u should go to the bottom of this problem bug the hell out of the Honda engineers till they solve your problem....don’t let go with the chalta hai attitude like every body does. Send them mails tell them u’ll go to the consumer court if needed. It’s a five month old bike if you are getting all kind of vibration imagine the condition of the bike may be after a year or so.

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2018 at 21:47. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 24th August 2005, 17:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

the engine is fitted using rubber bushes.so if these bushes are in order no(not too much) engine vibration should reach the body.
Old 24th August 2005, 19:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
Ok so that's all he has to say a design flaw by Honda I was in an opinion that Honda makes good quality bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj View Post
Thanks for the information. I talked to HONDA people in Bangalore. Regarding the petrol tank vibration:
I have used it for aout 9 months and I dont feel what you have felt. It feels as vibration free as the best bike thats available in the market Unless and until your vibration problem is specific.
Tank vibration is there but negligible. You are getting too much concerned I think.

I havent experienced any vibrations in the brakes. I can assure you that.

All the best.

Hurry Home

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with dotted posts like.... this.... and sms language too. What you write stays here for many times to come. And we do want that content to stand the test of time!

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2018 at 21:54. Reason: fixed quote tags
muni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2005, 16:34   #10
BHPian

I have been in to the HONDA Showroom, They again said that these engine vibrations are normal. What ever the slight body vibrations are passed on to the back break pedal too. Nothing to worry. They allowed me to test drive another two three bikes which are parked over there. All of them have these same vibrations in their petrol tank and back break pedal. So I think this is normal and I have taken it too seriously...
Old 5th April 2013, 18:30   #11

Re: Honda Unicorn Help

Hi all,

This is the current picture of my engine which is spilling oil. Need to know the reason.

Honda Unicorn Help-imag0061.jpg

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like... this...

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2018 at 21:55.
Old 5th April 2013, 20:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_b2 View Post
hi all, this is the current picture of my engine which is spilling oil.... need to know the reason
Change the oil gasket and check. I think that would be the reason.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 20:24   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_b2 View Post
hi all, this is the current picture of my engine which is spilling oil.... need to know the reason
Open the head and change the cylinder head gastket. That will solve the issue.

Is your Unicorn 2005 or 2006 model?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 21:47   #14
BHPian

Please do the following(as I also have a 2005 Unicorn and I experienced the very same problem last month and has rectified it absolutely). The reason for this oil leak is a worn out valve cover rubber packing which allow the oil sprayed by the timing chain to leak through it. THIS IS NOT A LEAK THROUGH THE CYLINDER HEAD GASKET.

1.Loosen the valve cover bolts(2 numbers) located on the top of the valve cover. This can be easily done after removing the fuel tank by loosening the single bolt located below the seat(mind you, there is absolutely no need to open the cylinder head or change gasket)

2.Replace the rubber packing with a new one(not head gasket)on the top of which the valve cover is fitted over the cylinder head.A new packing will cost Rs 50/- at Honda.

3.Tighten the bolts removed.This will definitely stop the oil leak.Period.

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 5th April 2013 at 21:50.
Ashley Nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 09:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Open the head and change the cylinder head gastket. That will solve the issue.

Is your Unicorn 2005 or 2006 model?

Anurag.
Thankyou..
Its a 2005 model

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks