Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 09:49   #16
BHPian

Issues again . The exhaust nuts are not gripping .Its a size 10 nut but the spanner is not gripping :( . There is littile space to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0058.jpg  

Old 26th January 2010, 13:58   #17

Do you have a wrench? Always handy for nuts like this.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Issues again . The exhaust nuts are not gripping .Its a size 10 nut but the spanner is not gripping :( . There is littile space to work with.
Hey bullboy it seems that due to extensive accommodation of rust on and near the screw it has become hard.If it is does not have slightest grip then get it to a welder of simply call a welder. Otherwise, in the pic it seems that there is some amount of grip still left so one thing you can do is to purchase a new wrench of the same size or a downgraded one and try opening it. As newer wrenches are more grippy. Other thing you can do is to open it by a strong plier (if possible). The new wrench should do the job for you.(85% sure)
Old 27th January 2010, 21:56   #19
BHPian

I do have wrench .The side that is having fins do have grip but there is no space to insert the wrench .The open side do not have grip.That actually is not a nut , its a screw .The entire thing including the thread need to be unscrewed .Cutting the bolt alone will not do good.
Old 28th January 2010, 04:09   #20
BHPian

The corrosion is really bad so any torque on the nut will cause the stud to snap off.
Apply some heat like a blow lamp or better still run the engine, apply some brake fluid around the nut and stud area you might stand a better of its removal. If the stud snaps then get an engineer to drill the stud out and cut a new thread with a 6mm tap.
Old 21st October 2010, 08:11   #21
BHPian

Just jumping to an old thread. Bullboy, did you finish your restoration project? If so please upload some photos!!
Old 21st October 2010, 10:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Id be interested too as I have an Hero Puch and I would like to know about the spares and accessories.
Old 4th November 2011, 21:12   #23
BHPian

Re: Hero Puch : Can this be restored

Quote:
I do have wrench .The side that is having fins do have grip but there is no space to insert the wrench .The open side do not have grip.That actually is not a nut , its a screw .The entire thing including the thread need to be unscrewed .Cutting the bolt alone will not do good.
Hi Bullboy,

Were you able to get you Hero Puch restored? A lot of peole would like to see if you did manage to restore it to its full glory.

I am particularly interested because I am about to acquire an old moped and would like to restore it as it is in a dilapidated state. Please do post some pics of this machine.
Old 4th November 2011, 21:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issues again . The exhaust nuts are not gripping .Its a size 10 nut but the spanner is not gripping :
What type of spanner did you use? Use a socket spanner. Before that procure a small can of Rustolene, pour it over the nut/stud and keep some cotton waste soaked with the Rustolene overnight. Hit the hexagonal faces of the nut using a blunt chisel and hammer. (All six faces will not have access because of the pipe), Hit the faces opposite of each other) The nut will definitely loosen up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Hey bullboy it seems that due to extensive accommodation of rust on and near the screw it has become hard.If it is does not have slightest grip then get it to a welder of simply call a welder. Otherwise, in the pic it seems that there is some amount of grip still left so one thing you can do is to purchase a new wrench of the same size or a downgraded one and try opening it. As newer wrenches are more grippy. Other thing you can do is to open it by a strong plier (if possible). The new wrench should do the job for you.(85% sure)
Please don't call a welder and pliers are not the ideal tool for this kind of job.
Try out what I suggested. Rustolene is available at any Mill Stores.It is not costly also.
Old 5th November 2011, 13:08   #25
BHPian

Hey All ,

It has been a year since I put up this thread and questions and you guys are replying now.

I have been out of town and didn't get time to restore the bike.I have dismantled the bike and enigine and other plastic parts are kept securely.

But chassis was worst hit even though I kept it under a roof the rains was too harsh to it and it is almost rusted.Now I'm back I'm trying to get it back to shape once I get some free time.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 18:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hey All ,

It has been a year since I put up this thread and questions and you guys are replying now.

I have been out of town and didn't get time to restore the bike.I have dismantled the bike and enigine and other plastic parts are kept securely.

But chassis was worst hit even though I kept it under a roof the rains was too harsh to it and it is almost rusted.Now I'm back I'm trying to get it back to shape once I get some free time.
Hey Brother,
really nice thread indeed. I would suggest first start of by giving it a good wash and look out for all the parts that needs replacement, hunt out for them in the old shops and then start the project all she needs is a good paint job thats all. all the best brother

Let me know if you need any further help

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 5th November 2011, 20:52   #27
BHPian

Hey Sushil ,

I know that i'm not doing justice to my puch but sometimes there are some more priorities than you anticipate.
I want to keep the bike as this is a unique model with 2 gears.
I need help but seems that atleast it will take me a month to start anything.
Old 5th November 2011, 21:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
atleast it will take me a month to start anything.
Take preservation action to see that Puch doesn't deteriorate further if you do not have time to restore. Get some anti corrosive spray sort of stuff.
Old 5th November 2011, 21:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Get some anti corrosive spray sort of stuff
Rust has ruined it spary can't do any thing.
Seems that I need to source new mudguards its almost gone. So are the wheels ,have some holes .
The chassis being alloy is quiet ok.
Old 20th February 2013, 17:27   #30

Hi Karthik R, I am restoring my 1983 TVS 50 to standard specs, but finding it difficult for the lack of spares here in Mumbai. I am looking for cables, rims and spokes, piston and piston rings, tyres, and chrome mudguards. Could you help me with a contact at Bangalore from I could source these. I mean quality ones. I could tell my colleague to pick them up and send them over to me at Mumbai. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Also if you could PM me your no., I could call and speak to you in further detail. Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks