Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:47   #1
BHPian

Hero Puch : Can this be restored

Inspired by the thread by speedy_racer. My 1983 TVS 50 Drag Race Spec Build
I own a hero puch step matic ( 2 gear no clutch) 1999 model.The condition of the bike is very worse as this has been resting under our steps for many years.The bike has run only around 20k Kms. This i used when i was in college.
when i graduated to bigger bikes this puch was rested under the staircase.Since this is the first bike i owned i did not want to sell it .But now i'm heart broken when i look to this bike.
Can this be restored ? I the white color on the plastics has gone and the mudguards started rusting .The engine has never been opened till date.
I need some serious help on how this can be restored.
Some pics of the bike attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0026.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0027.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0028.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0030.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0031.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0032.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0033.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0034.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0035.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0036.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0037.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd January 2010, 11:19   #2
BHPian

by looking at the pictures i can tell that the bike is in good condition and can be restored.

but getting the parts will be bit difficult. but its not impossible to get the spares.

you need to drop to the people(service guys) who are very in the business very old.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:00   #3
BHPian

Seems like a good project. One city where you can get all the spare parts for Hero PUCH is Meerut. Puch was big in numbers there and City has really good mechanics specially for yezdi, bullet.

Best of luck..
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

The bike looks in good condition and the restoration should not be difficult.

Spare parts may be a little tough to source.
Dont know a lot of dealers in Trivandrum though.

In Mumbai, Kurla could be place to start off with.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Brings back lot of memories Bullboy. I too had one of the same color and it was an Automatic, bought new in 97. I later got a two speed manual transmission put in alongwith Turbosport's mag wheels and a custom expansion chamber. I used it for 2 years and retired.

I hardly see any Hero Puchs on the road here. I wonder if parts are available either. Is the dealer still here? But on the bright side it looks like your Puch doesn't need much restoration with all parts intact. It definitely needs lot of cleaning up of the alloy parts and a paint job though.

Can you turn over the engine by kicking? Prolly it'll need opening up of the transmission and clean out the clutch and innards. Assuming the bike wasn't used for long i'm sure the oil sludge will not let the efficient engaging of the centrifugal clutch. Get the carb and plug cleaned an try to start it.
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:04   #6
BHPian

Rust eat some parts like seat . i need a new seat .There is a dealer for Hero motors .But i dont think they have spare .Need to check out though.I feel this model (Setp matic) was only for a short period in the market.
I myself added battery and caliber indicators to it .I modified the head light to run on the battery and had a halogen bulb.
I was first caught by police in this bike - learners license expired
i Feel the tires still have some air left
Old 2nd January 2010, 16:50   #7
BHPian

Very Much restorable, i had just restored my 1995 Hero Puch. If you need any information, do let me know.

Go Ahead, seems the bike is very much complete.
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good news is that the Puch chassis is completly die cast aluminum. so it wont rust.

you seem to have a lot of rust on mudguards and brackets etc.

Wasn't aware of the 2 gear automatic. Please explain how it works...was it like the HH Street.

I have driven a friends 2 spd manual handshift turbosport quite a bit. That was one silky smooth motor. Later on I guess it came with 3 speed foot shifter.
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Get the bike washed/serviced properly and take it to a good 2wheeler mechanic in your area get it started 1st and then decide upon what parts to replace
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
Seems like a good project. One city where you can get all the spare parts for Hero PUCH is Meerut. Puch was big in numbers there and City has really good mechanics specially for yezdi, bullet.

Best of luck..

hi
me from meerut....i would be glad if i can be of any help

regards
sajid
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:40   #11

@Bullboy : Hi,I am glad that my drag TVS XL inspired you to do this. Your bike brought back some sweet memories. If all had gone well back in 1997, I had plans of getting myself a HP Shakti.

Coming back to your step-thru. Looks like all most every part is intact minus the rust. If I were you, I would get the engine up and running and give it some paint and chrome. Let me know if you need any spares.

Cheers!
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:04   #12
BHPian

I'm trying to do the stuff myself. Also will be a learning process.
I tired dismantling the bike .But i feel my inhouse tools is not enough.
What is the types of screw in the second pic and what tool should i use to
remove this ?
Also in the last pic .The screw which covers the plastic chain cover refuses to come off .It has a rubber head.Where can i purchase these type of screws?

Also some extension of the swing arm is broken (pic 1 and 4) .This i feel is some sort of alloy and donno whether this can be welded in.

Is the mudguard repairable .I could not find a replacement.Need to check in some workshops.

karthik, I surely will need some spares .I trying to dismantle the engine and run it.

Mpower,Its almost like HH street but hand operated.Please see the last picture in my first post. Twist down and it is first and twist up is the second and in between is the neutral.The first is real crawler and it can really climb steep inclines with a pillion though at a snail speed.

Thanks friends i definitely need your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0042.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0043.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0044.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0041.jpg  

Hero Puch : Can this be restored-img_0045.jpg  

Last edited by bullboy : 3rd January 2010 at 14:11.
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:19   #13

@Bullboy : I would firstly suggest a nice pressure wash for the bike before you get started, from your pics I can see a lot of rust and dust on it. Those screws you were talking about are allen bolts and can be removed with a correct size allen key. Get yourself a can of WD-40 to losen those bolts and nuts.
Old 7th January 2010, 19:49   #14
BHPian

bullboy,

Try in Coimbatore and Bangalore for parts.
All the best
Old 7th January 2010, 20:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

My replies are in bold. I learnt my basics on Hero Puch and have extensively worked on it by myself. You need to pick up an allen key set to work on this bike. And get a good quality kit when you do so.

Do not use excessive force its easy to strip the threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I'm trying to do the stuff myself. Also will be a learning process.
I tired dismantling the bike .But i feel my inhouse tools is not enough.
What is the types of screw in the second pic and what tool should i use to
remove this ?

Get yourself an Allen Key kit. You need it to work with Hero Puch.

Also in the last pic .The screw which covers the plastic chain cover refuses to come off .It has a rubber head.Where can i purchase these type of screws?

It's a regular 10size bolt with a plastic head. The plastic head is pretty soft and if you have to use a thick - screw driver to get it out without destroying the plastic head. But anyways since the plastic head is almost gone in that picture you will have to pry the plastic head off and use a 10size tube wrench to get the bolt out.

Also some extension of the swing arm is broken (pic 1 and 4) .This i feel is some sort of alloy and donno whether this can be welded in.

Lucky for you its not a load bearing part which broke off. Its back chain cover extension of the swingarm. Get it fixed back by regular aluminum welding.

Is the mudguard repairable .I could not find a replacement.Need to check in some workshops.

karthik, I surely will need some spares .I trying to dismantle the engine and run it.

Mpower,Its almost like HH street but hand operated.Please see the last picture in my first post. Twist down and it is first and twist up is the second and in between is the neutral.The first is real crawler and it can really climb steep inclines with a pillion though at a snail speed.

Thanks friends i definitely need your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks