Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 19:25   #751
BHPian

Handlebar for C5

Guys,

Since a long time I am trying to find a good handlebar for my C5. I liked the RD replica but I am exploring more options.

After doing a lots of research I found the trails/scrabler handlebar. It's not too wide and not too rised and has a rod between. Do you know from where I can source it?

I also feel that throttle cable will not be issue here as this handlebar is coming with the export models RE woodsman (500 CC with EFI)

Thoughts?
Old 20th October 2010, 20:34   #752
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@ EssYouWe:

Selling the OEM exhaust may not be a good idea, as you would require that to get a PUC. C5s would have to meet the bharat 4 norms, which may not be possible with other pipes, except the OEM. (got a cat-con inside)
Old 20th October 2010, 20:38   #753
Senior - BHPian

Lol, I am not really bothered about the PUC. If I recall correctly, someone mentioned the UCE passing pollution regulations with a free-flow Punjab silencer.

But, yeah nice idea, will hold the OE.

Anyone want the upswept?

PS: The short bottle sounds good, but do try the Punjab one once. I have a short bottle on my Bull.
Old 20th October 2010, 20:44   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Lol, I am not really bothered about the PUC. If I recall correctly, someone mentioned the UCE passing pollution regulations with a free-flow Punjab silencer.

But, yeah nice idea, will hold the OE.

Anyone want the upswept?

PS: The short bottle sounds good, but do try the Punjab one once. I have a short bottle on my Bull.
Hey Achint,

I would like to know your feedback with the upswept. Also, what changes did you have to make to accomodate the short bottle and are there any other changes (Upjetting, etc..) that need to be made?

I am currently at 2800kms and hoping to get the second service done soon.

And finally, some pictures please. You have kept us waiting since a long time now.
Old 20th October 2010, 21:28   #755
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gaurav...

Still no phone, no camera. :( It seems like I am on a technological exile.

I would not recommend the upswept for sound. It just looks great on the bike. As it isn't a free-flow it doesn't improve the performance a great deal.

If you are happy/satisfied with the performance, then there isn't a need to upjet the carb just yet. I haven't gone ahead with it because it still feels too early. I want to get the oil, tuning etc right before I seek more power.
I guess I am after reliability more than extra power.

A free-flow short bottle/punjab would help liberate some power at the top. The sound makes it an absolutely treat to ride.

The new exhaust can be hooked up directly with our bend pipe. You just need to retune the bull, that is all.

Let me know what you try, but I would seriously recommend the Punjab one!
Old 21st October 2010, 07:40   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I practice what I preach and if you go by my instructions of saving the sprag then your sprag will go a long way. I have done 13k(on a replacement) by religiously following the routine and not a single time had the sprag make any noise and I am still on my old sprag design and not a new one. .
Sorry for asking again, but Did you mean the No Kick in the morning instructions ? If so, I am happily following it as I use only e-start. . Anything else ?

regards
san
Old 21st October 2010, 20:01   #757
Senior - BHPian

@Achint- Soon!

@Hemant- Why don't you try the machismo handle.

@stnari- Use kick in the morning only to de-clutch with the ignition off. Use ES for starting in the morning or when engine cold.
Old 21st October 2010, 23:03   #758
BHPian

Can anybody share the Ex-Showroom and Onroad price of Classic 500 in Panchkula/Haryana and New Delhi?
I have address proof available for both the locations.
Old 21st October 2010, 23:58   #759
Senior - BHPian

In Chandigarh it's priced at Rs 1,29,700. No dealer in Panchkula but there is one in Ambala.
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:36   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
In Chandigarh it's priced at Rs 1,29,700. No dealer in Panchkula but there is one in Ambala.
Thanks. Is this Ex-showroom or Onroad price?
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:39   #761
Senior - BHPian

Ex-showroom price excluding insurance, temporary registration.
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:32   #762
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just a thought (or may be i am being greedy / jealous)

I have always felt the C5 to be UNDER-POWERED for a 500CC, Given the fact that its got a completely new engine design. I have raised this point in the past as well, but was made to SHUT-UP. All you guys jumped on me saying its a low revving, single cylinder, etc etc, basically justifying the CC:BHP ratio of a C5.

Now, we have Mahendra Mojo - 300cc, single cylinder, low revving BUT generating juicy 26BHP. How come? looking at this, the C5 should be generating atleast 35BHP.

( i understand the mojo is a DOHC, and water cooled, but still.. 292 cc generating 26 bhp sounds much better than 500 cc generating 27 bhp.)

BTW, i personally did not like the name MOJO, or the design of the bike or the price either.
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:17   #763
Senior - BHPian

@Nasir- Just a question to you, do you think a bike with a weight of 185kg can be compared to a bike of approx 140kg? Reduce the stroke and crank weight to get what you want or wait for Hitchcock to come up with a kit for our C5 to get the 40bhp. It is doable but need some money to get what you want.

Hitchcock has a kit for CI 500 which pumps the bhp to 40+ and rpm limit to 9k.

People want the thump and that was a sole reason for RE to design something similar to the previous bulls keeping the legacy intact.

Try cruising with any other 4stroker at a speed of 100 + and see who will end up still leading at the end of the journey. Its all about torque

Last edited by Randhawa : 22nd October 2010 at 14:21.
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:52   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Just a thought (or may be i am being greedy / jealous)

I have always felt the C5 to be UNDER-POWERED for a 500CC, Given the fact that its got a completely new engine design. I have raised this point in the past as well, but was made to SHUT-UP. All you guys jumped on me saying its a low revving, single cylinder, etc etc, basically justifying the CC:BHP ratio of a C5.

Now, we have Mahendra Mojo - 300cc, single cylinder, low revving BUT generating juicy 26BHP. How come? looking at this, the C5 should be generating atleast 35BHP.

( i understand the mojo is a DOHC, and water cooled, but still.. 292 cc generating 26 bhp sounds much better than 500 cc generating 27 bhp.)

BTW, i personally did not like the name MOJO, or the design of the bike or the price either.
No one asked you to shut up nor jumped on you (at least in our discussion on this thread). If the process of debate is interpreted as us asking you not to express your opinion, then posting on a forum becomes pointless.

I don't understand why you are willing to dismiss the differences between the two engines and only compare the power with respect to the similarities. Let's break it down.

1. 500 cc vs 300 cc - Mojo has made a good amount of power out of a lower CC. No one is denying this.
2. Redlines at around 5500 - 5700 rpm vs Redline at 8500+ rpm. Though both are low revving by international standards (single cylinders are also inherently more difficult to balance resulting in lower rpm machines) 8500 rpm is significantly more than 5500. Power is proportional to engine speed.
3. Pushrod vs DOHC - Though the C5 is a new engine, it uses old technology. Pushrod operated valves imposes a large inertial component in the engines operation resulting in being slow to react to quick changes resulting in less aggressive cams. Less aggressive cams lead to a less performance-oriented state of tune.
4. Air vs Water cooled - This is one of my biggest points of contention. Water cooling allows the engine to deal with higher compression ratios which gives more "bang-per-buck" as far as combusting petrol goes. I cant stress enough how much more power one can get by increasing an engine's compression ratio. The C5's ratio is 8.5:1 while the Modjo's is 11:1. Thats a huge jump.
5. Possible other point: Open loop FI vs Closed loop FI. Not sure if this translates into providing a possible power advantage as I hear different impacts of the presence of an O2 sensor from different sources. I'll let Randhawa handle that.

To conclude: Yes, the C5 is an underpowered 500cc engine in today's market. Although its touted as an all new engine, it is still built on old tech with a mordern twist (hydraulic tappets, open loop FI). This old tech leads to physical limitations which cannot be ignored when determining if an amount of power justifies the engine's displacement. Before RE can concentrate on extracting more power out of its engines it should look into its quality assurance before it can hope to achieve the tight tolerances required for performance tuned engines. It can then move upto incorporating mordern tech into its engines and get over the fact that it's engines should hold on to some misguided sense of retro-homage.

Finally I forgot to mention that one shouldn't look at bhp figures alone. The torque generated by the c5 completely trumps the Mojo by a fair margin.
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:40   #765
BHPian

One Quick Question

@randhawa.

Does the early morning ES also implies to TBTS. should we do only ES during early mornings?. Why i'm asking this is my Sparg clutch has taken the beatings and replaced under warranty. But since my bike has travelled for 9100 KMs and warranty left for only 900 kms... its cost is huge. please share some gyan on the same. thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks