Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2011, 14:50   #1111
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

A very Happy New year to u too, Randhawa. May ur quest for knowledge and ur enthusiasm to tinker with ur bull never wane. May u be gifted with the ability to create an O2 sensor with the scrap metal of ur discarded chain guard.... May the Motul 300v that runs through ur veins pump the 25 (or is it 18.5) bhp heart of urs for a thousand years to come... we all need people like u around.

Cheers,
Puffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Happy New Year to all present and future C5 owners(inc all T-Bhpians ). May God bless you with patience to deal with niggling problems RE plans to through at us. I wish for a service centre to stock parts for eternity and waiting time for parts arrival is reduced to Zilch.

May RE God bless us with rust proof chassis and outstanding paint quality with upgrade to much needed NRB on CS RHS and make our Bullets a bullet proof UCE. I know I am getting greedy here but a O2 would give our sooted plugs a sigh of relief and give the couple a less stressful life ahead.

I wish for a prosperous future for RE and its bandwagon. Wishing you all a very happy thumping(or what is left of it ) future ahead.
Old 1st January 2011, 15:37   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Puffy- You are so sweeeet
Old 1st January 2011, 18:58   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Puffy- You are so sweeeet
I think Now we have some real gearhead talking and complimenting each other MAY WE ALL HAVE A VERY HAPPY AND SAFE RIDING YEAR 2011
Old 2nd January 2011, 22:16   #1114
BHPian

Hi Randhawa,
i posted earlier too in this thread but a quick intro- i too own a CL500(green),purchased it in june and till date ODO is 1800 kms.
My main moto to write is to get your advice as iam in heck problem with it.
From the very first day i was observing jerks in my drive at low speeds.I neglected it as thought it is a new beast machine,but it further continued and around 260 kms i planned it to get serviced.I left it at my dealer hoping the issue will be resolved but it didn't.
It increased day by day and bike was gulping oil too in high amount so technician solved it by telling me that a part was missing from it which was causing it malfunction,oil issue was resolved but the jerk/hicckup problem persisted.
After sending it to dealership thrice i finally planned to talk with the head of state MP Mr.Prassana and what he found out till date is that it is because of spark plug till date i already got it changed thrice..
Then this time he told me that this common issue with CL500 so company is supplying new modified ones which was fitted by him in my bike, after a run of 100kms it started giving me the same problem again and iam really fedup of it because i can not even drive my bike properly,iam mentioning the series of problems below-
1)at lower speeds bike looses power(engine doesn't cutoffs but it looses power in between and gives series of jerk at low speed)
2)engine over heating problem
3)i observed that when i give full speed in neutral gear there is a lag in the speed i mean to say there is no proper acceleration it is irregular
4)average has dropped drastically it is near about 15-18 km/ltr
can you please suggest what should i do to rectify it?
Old 2nd January 2011, 22:49   #1115
Senior - BHPian

@Pratik- Could you please give me a run-down of things below;

1. What's the shortest distance and average distance you do on your bike daily?
2. What was the missing part which was added later?
3. Was is gulping engine oil or petrol?
4. What makes you say the engine overheated or overheating problem?
5. Do you warm your bike up in mornings?
6. Did your air filter ever got wet in monsoons?
7. Have you tried filling up at different petrol depot?
8. Is it your first RE product?
9. What speeds you do normally?
10.Have you ever got the idling checked with a tacho meter?
11. Any battery or charging related issue you faced so far?
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:00   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
@Pratik- Could you please give me a run-down of things below;

1. What's the shortest distance and average distance you do on your bike daily?
2. What was the missing part which was added later?
3. Was is gulping engine oil or petrol?
4. What makes you say the engine overheated or overheating problem?
5. Do you warm your bike up in mornings?
6. Did your air filter ever got wet in monsoons?
7. Have you tried filling up at different petrol depot?
8. Is it your first RE product?
9. What speeds you do normally?
10.Have you ever got the idling checked with a tacho meter?
11. Any battery or charging related issue you faced so far?
hi randhawa,
basically when i had a brief discussion with the engineer he stated the problem as missing or missin(dont know what technically it is)
regarding your query-
1)i drive atleast 10 kms daily,though don't like driving because the drive is harsh of this problem
2)they aren't telling me openly what part was missing!it was only by mistake i heard them telling it to that engineer Mr.Prassana
3)initially it was gulping oil and was giving dense black smoke with smell of petrol but then rectified.
4)regarding the overheating i feel it in my leg as it is been placed near the engine and there are also burn marks of it on my shoes.
5)i first start my bike then allow it for few mins to retain in nuetral gear till that i go and close the main gate of my house,wear helmet etc than start riding.
6)no my air filter didnt get wet so and even it is clean.
7)yes i donot rely on single petrolpump everytime,but i trust one of them as i also get petrol filled in my car from them and also i use the normal petrol(referred as "saada petrol" no adhesive ones).
8)yes it is my first RE but still i drove almost many EFI bikes so iam quite comfortable with it.
9)ideally i drive between 30-60 kms where often donot cross 5th gear in the city and once in a while when i go for long rides i touch around 80 km with 5th gear then.
10)regarding the checking i have not so,but the engineer was checking with some instrument(i think so voltmeter or ammeter and he replaced the magnetic coil by saying that the bike is producing more current than required)
11)yes my battery used to get discharged very fast so got it replaced by the company so now not facing that issue.
what do you think the problem should be,actually almost every time my vehicle is standing at dealership and it has become a experimental vehicle because everytime they try changing some or the other parts but the problem persists,should i look into legal aspect by moving into consumer forum because once it gave very bad jerk and i fell off but managed to escape any injuries.
Till date i see no proper response from them,on an estimation i have taken my vehicle to them more than 13 times for the same problem.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:05   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
because once it gave very bad jerk and i fell off but managed to escape any injuries.
Holy!! thats absurd.

Looks like RE wants all the BULL RIDERS to get a formal training in bull-fight, where jerks are a part of everyday life. They have taken the BULL from the BULLET very seriously. (pic for pun)

on a serious note, even i have been occasionally facing these jerks from day one. sometimes they are very frequent, at times hardly there. Now am sort of used to it to the extent that it does not bother me much. try and keep the plugs and filter clean and do a periodic check myself. that helps.
Regarding the average, i use to get 28 kmpl in city, now i get about 22-23. :( not sure whats causing that. could it be the k&N filter? or may be my riding? now a days i sort of ride a bit hard, with frequent sudden accelerations?
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-bullriding400.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 3rd January 2011 at 12:15.
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:19   #1118
Senior - BHPian

RE bikes do produce a lot of heat specially the 500 ones. As you are still doing your running in and about to cross 2k. I would suggest you to do the running in by the book, which is to start riding at 80-90kmph. During running in, it will produce more heat then usual and specially when it starts to run lean.

Things I say on here are through my personal experience and not from any info gathered from googling around so do few things on my request.

Our C5 gets quite sick during winters and apart from changing to hotter plugs, nothing has been done by RE. According to them(RE officials) is't normal for a EFI bike to emit black smoke on cold startup in the morning during winters. Thats what they have been doing since ages to cover up.

I doubt they are telling you the truth, if the magneto was producing more current then what is the purpose of relay & rectifier unit.

As you are still under warranty so they will have to listen to you. You have to write to customer service and give them a stipulated time frame in which things should be resolved. Do mention the people whom you have contacted and the outcome. Give them a opportunity to resolve and if they still don't then surely send them a notice through your lawyer explaining the facts and further action you will take legally. My experience says they do listen but only when they take you seriously or you take things seriously.

Once your warranty is over then you will be on your own.

From what I have gathered from your explanation about the issue and symptoms seems like rich mixture issue which can lead to two more issues.
1. Leaking intake valve
2. Fouled plugs

Did you had the missing issue in summers or only in winters it has started?

I doubt if there is any trouble with your EFI sensors or else it would have shown up on MIL. The other factors which can contribute to missing and things you could get it checked are

1. Fouled plugs
2. Loose or damaged HT leads/coil, also check if the current to the plugs is sufficient
3. Blocked injector
4. Weak fuel pump or clogged fuel pump filter
5. Wiring problem
6. Clogged air filter.

I remember a same case of missing on a C5 and that problem was a mystery to all. RE tried changing everything and it was there no matter what they did. Eventually it was by mistake traced back to ignition switch, which had a bit of carbon deposit on loose connection.

Apart form what I said above to check, follow even simpler steps by your self.

1.Check the hose from filter box to intake. See if it's loose at intake manifold
2.Clean the plugs and check the electrode gap
3.Remove the headlight and check the ignition switch connector.
4.In the morning don't ride your bike until you see water vapours spitting out from exhaust or just wait for 3-5min and I mean really time it.
5.Try not to ride it under 15km in one go, our C5 does not like short rides and one is bound to suffer if this habit is kept on for long.
6. If you had a leaking intake valve due to excess carbon deposit then either get the head removed and checked for leaking valve and clean the carbon or simply get her filled with speed petrol and go for a long ride (at least 200km). Do a non-stop stretch for min 60km before you even take a break and keep it in speeds 80-100. That might help cleaning up the junk inside.

C5 will make life miserable in winters if you do short rides and not warm it up before you move. Our bikes do need a longer ride to keep running healthy and specially in winters you should take extreme care.

Pinpointing a problem on a C5 isin't easy so you have to let us know when you check few things out but start with the ignition switch.
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:31   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Holy!! thats absurd.

Regarding the average, i use to get 28 kmpl in city, now i get about 22-23. :( not sure whats causing that.
Hey friend,
Your Bull might be angry with you for taking up cycling !!
Regards Adrian
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:48   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey friend,
Your Bull might be angry with you for taking up cycling !!
Regards Adrian
haha!!

They have actually become friends as i keep them tied together at home.
Combined, they are giving me an average of 50 kmpl.. so i am not complaining.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:28   #1121
BHPian

Hi Pratikjammy87,

I am sending you this link, which will get you right to the the service head Mr. Sudheer Raj Write to us
Also keep this email handy to send a cc of your email reach@eicher.co.in

These guys respond immediately and hold your regional manager and regional service manage as well as the TSM Territory Service Manager (your local engineer) responsible for any pending issues.

Works for me, and I hope it works for you as well.
Old 4th January 2011, 15:25   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These guys respond immediately and hold your regional manager and regional service manage as well as the TSM Territory Service Manager (your local engineer) responsible for any pending issues.
Yeah.. MAKING NOISE is what works with RE. I know a person who got his warranty extended by 6 months for all the issues with his C5. (he tried bringing down the house, left the bike at service centre and refused to pick it up, demanded for a complete replacement of the bike, and in the end his bikes problems were looked after and warranty extended by 6 months).
RE would definitely acknowledge their faults and bend, provided one is stern and stubborn with them.

Crying baby gets the milk.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 4th January 2011 at 15:27.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:41   #1123
BHPian

All these un-resolved issues and the attitude of RE are really putting me off the decision of going in for the classic. I sold my LB 500 2 months ago. Now I'm thinking it was a mistake as it had run only 4000 kms and was in perfect shape. That was my ninth Bullet.

Now the Honda CBR250 is getting more and more appealing. Maybe i'll invest in an old Cast Iron 500 later just to feel the thump...
Old 4th January 2011, 18:51   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
All these un-resolved issues and the attitude of RE are really putting me off the decision of going in for the classic. I sold my LB 500 2 months ago. Now I'm thinking it was a mistake as it had run only 4000 kms and was in perfect shape. That was my ninth Bullet.

Now the Honda CBR250 is getting more and more appealing. Maybe i'll invest in an old Cast Iron 500 later just to feel the thump...
That is a great idea. The only thing I would suggest is search the CI 500 now, for what I know, in future they would weigh in GOLD.....get it now pal !!
Old 5th January 2011, 02:35   #1125
Senior - BHPian

They already do. It is impossible to find a decent one in 5 digits. Before you do anything, TD the CBR.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks