Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 22:26   #361
Senior - BHPian

@Rahul- As grease monk said but I will like to add that its only the case in C5 as on C 350 its different. Since electra was launched the filter was put into the tool box in addition to the older square filter box but the intake to the carburetor is directly behind the filter in the tool box where as in C5 the filter has a separate intake and air passes through the filter then recirculate in the filter box(sucking in powder dust along with possibly condensation from water accumulated inside the box) providing air to the PAV ,crank breather and engine.

You will be surprised how much dust gets accumulated inside the box. Mostly the dust is sucked in through the hinge of the box where there is plenty of space and also rain water or when you wash your bike. Even though I had laminated the hinge area but still water seeps in from the piping alongside the box cover. I was told by RE that new improved air filter design is ready and about to go for production but I have yet to see that on new C5. Still waiting.

Here is picture for better understanding
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-air-filter.jpg

Last edited by Randhawa : 14th June 2010 at 22:37.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:50   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
That is pretty much the case, although not exactly according to your diagram. Please refer to Randhawa's first picture in his second post. The filter resides in the toolbox along with the pipe leading to the engine. But there is no physical connection between the filter and the outlet pipe, hence there is no guarantee that all air entering the pipe has been through the filter since air leaks in through the side of the tool box as well. What isn't visible in Randhawa's photo is that there is an inlet pipe behind the air filter where most air comes in from, but the gaps in the toolbox are still cause for concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Rahul- As grease monk said but I will like to add that its only the case in C5 as on C 350 its different. Since electra was launched the filter was put into the tool box in addition to the older square filter box but the intake to the carburetor is directly behind the filter in the tool box where as in C5 the filter has a separate intake and air passes through the filter then recirculate in the filter box(sucking in powder dust along with possibly condensation from water accumulated inside the box) providing air to the PAV ,crank breather and engine.

You will be surprised how much dust gets accumulated inside the box. Mostly the dust is sucked in through the hinge of the box where there is plenty of space and also rain water or when you wash your bike. Even though I had laminated the hinge area but still water seeps in from the piping alongside the box cover. I was told by RE that new improved air filter design is ready and about to go for production but I have yet to see that on new C5. Still waiting.

Here is picture for better understanding
Attachment 366685
thanks guys for clearing this up. When my brother told me that this problem is there in C500, i couldn't believe this. How in today's time any company can do such a blunders. Another thing he told me was about the cold climate problem.

He has just sold his twinspark Tbird few days back and was looking forward to book a C500, but now hes waiting for RE to correct these problems.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:46   #363
Senior - BHPian

Update for not so happy Classic 350 owners with upswept exhaust

Lads good news for you lot if you are not happy with the note of the upswept on your Classic 350 and still want the deep thump.

Well yesterday I saw a Classic 350 with a upswept but what made it differ from the rest was the heavy thumping noise it was producing. For a second I thought hows that possible but then realized he had removed the baffle from the upswept. So removing the inners of the upswept will get you your much loved thump of a CI bullet. I wonder what it will do to a C5
Old 18th June 2010, 11:32   #364
Senior - BHPian

Oye!

Can I get them out on my own?
Old 18th June 2010, 12:06   #365
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder what it will do to a C5
Try it and let us know!!!
Old 18th June 2010, 13:06   #366
BHPian

@essyouwee : you can go to a welder or a RE mechanic to getthe baffle out. I did this with a friends Classic 350 and 500, they sound good, but the thump is not like a CI but more like a loud and extracted thump. But its way better then the current note of your bull ! you can also remove the baffle if you have got 3 hours of spare time a good drill and some basic tools.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:23   #367
BHPian

Hey..

Check it out...

How to Remove Exhaust Baffles | eHow.com
Old 18th June 2010, 14:07   #368
Senior - BHPian

Achint I dont think we can do it ourself without damaging the upswept.

@bhasma- I cant tolerate the upswept for more then a week due to its loud nature so I keep shuffling back to the bazooka but may be one day I will

@Shan- To me it really sounded like a CI.
Old 19th June 2010, 09:34   #369
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm...

I don't want it to get intolerably loud. I have the 3rd free service coming up, will talk to them about removing the baffles.
I changed the oils etc just a couple of months back and haven't done significant kms since, I was thinking of not getting it done this time despite it being recommended.

Will change it altogether to 300v by the 4th service.

I am thinking of keeping the extra long one for long distance, and maybe the upswept for the city rides.

Lets see how loud it gets. Just a question, is it possible to put them back if I don't like the sound?
Old 19th June 2010, 11:53   #370
Senior - BHPian

It's irreversible process and once done, there is no going back.

If you don't get oil changed this time then you are giving them a chance to refute any claim under warranty.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:53   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Achint I dont think we can do it ourself without damaging the upswept.

@bhasma- I cant tolerate the upswept for more then a week due to its loud nature so I keep shuffling back to the bazooka but may be one day I will

@Shan- To me it really sounded like a CI.
Hey Randhawa which upswept are you talking of ? Is the factory original upswept that loud. I have purchased one but not mounted it yet on my C5. What do you suggest whether or not to go with it OR are there any better alternatives. Thanks for an update.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:20   #372
Senior - BHPian

@Bradhey- I am talking about the RE upswept exhaust. Its by personal choice that I am not a fan of a loud exhaust. But I ride fast sometimes and then it sounds louder. If you dont give quick acceleration then you wont notice the loudness that much. If you are a sedate rider then it wont be too loud for you but if you want it loud then you can remove the baffle later once you try it on.
Old 26th June 2010, 16:10   #373
BHPian

Quote:
@Bradhey- I am talking about the RE upswept exhaust. Its by personal choice that I am not a fan of a loud exhaust. But I ride fast sometimes and then it sounds louder. If you dont give quick acceleration then you wont notice the loudness that much. If you are a sedate rider then it wont be too loud for you but if you want it loud then you can remove the baffle later once you try it on.
I remember you have mentioned in one of your posts that you keep switching between the two silencers. But that would need to dismantle the bend pipe as well !! If so one must also change the "bend pipe head gasket" every time else the exhaust leaks from the head. Do you have a trick to save yourself from all of this, if yes advise all
Old 26th June 2010, 16:40   #374
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

UPDATE:

Got the handle bar on my C5 replaced with RD350's. Feels much better and comfortable.

All stock cables were used with a bit of push/pull and re-routing. (however an extra inch of throttle cable would be helpful)

Planning to modify the seat on Monday. Then it would be 'all set' for whole day cruising without any pain in the "back".

Any one from Bangalore is welcome to take a test ride with the new handle bar, and share feedback.
Old 26th June 2010, 17:16   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
UPDATE:

Got the handle bar on my C5 replaced with RD350's. Feels much better and comfortable.
Sorry to be dumb, but where can I get the RD350's handle bar? Is it readily available in shops or should I steal it from some old RD350 ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks