Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 10:01   #241
Senior - BHPian

@ST

The 300V is 15W50. Do use the engine flush before using the synth if you have been using mineral in your Scooty.

Here's the link, there are various grades on offer: http://www.motul.com.au/product_line...4stroke05.html

Last edited by EssYouWe : 28th April 2010 at 10:07. Reason: Added website
Old 28th April 2010, 10:18   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
@Randhawa

Can you please give the exact specification of the Motul 300v. Is it 20W40 or 15W50 ? Reading your review, I feel tempted to try it on my Scooty since I dont have the RE yet.
Motul 300V factory line(Double Ester)
Comes in 10W40 and 15W50.
After 60,000kms on Motul 300V i am one happy user.
though it used to cost 650\L when i started using it,now its 850\L
Old 28th April 2010, 15:47   #243
BHPian

Thanks for the details Randhawa.
Old 28th April 2010, 17:18   #244
Senior - BHPian

As Achint and Akshay have said, it's 15w50. You seriously want to try it on your scooty?

RPM meter on C5 now some time for mods

I have managed to get hold of an RPM meter from thunderbird and in few minutes I am going to try it out after I figure out on which wire from dyno I have to connect the signal wire to. Wish me luck lads.

Last edited by Randhawa : 28th April 2010 at 17:21.
Old 29th April 2010, 06:32   #245
BHPian

Randhawa, I have followed your thread from the first post and liked every one (especially the first review). You really have the passion and commitment; probably a true quality of a bulleter. I have a new machismo 500 and done 1200km till now. Do you suggest the 300v oil on the AVL engines?
Old 29th April 2010, 08:41   #246
Senior - BHPian

Good to know you liked my review

I would recommend 300v for any bullet but after initial running in is over which you still have to cover a bit more. Jay will be along soon to give you some sound advice as he has been using 300v for a long time on his 500.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:16   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Good to know you liked my review

I would recommend 300v for any bullet but after initial running in is over which you still have to cover a bit more. Jay will be along soon to give you some sound advice as he has been using 300v for a long time on his 500.
@randhawa,

You had mentioned few post before need to flush the engine before we load synthetic oil. Kindly let me know how to flush the engine.

Do you recommend the motul synthetic oil on my TBTS which has 2700kms on odo. its due for service in another 2 days.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:37   #248
BHPian

850 bucks a liter and 3 liters go into the bull - that makes it close to 2500 bucks on the engine oil. Not looking plainly at the cost aspect of it, but what would be the change interval for motul V300 - Do we still need to change the oil at every 3K ??

Cheers,
Old 29th April 2010, 10:43   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
@randhawa,

You had mentioned few post before need to flush the engine before we load synthetic oil. Kindly let me know how to flush the engine.

Do you recommend the motul synthetic oil on my TBTS which has 2700kms on odo. its due for service in another 2 days.
It was I who mentioned the flush. There are Engine Flushes available in the market. After draining all the oil out, add the flush and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Drain that as well and then add the synth oil.
Take the stuff along and force them to change it.
I am not sure but at just 2700 kms it might be okay to avoid the flush. I doubt there would be much of deposition anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
850 bucks a liter and 3 liters go into the bull - that makes it close to 2500 bucks on the engine oil. Not looking plainly at the cost aspect of it, but what would be the change interval for motul V300 - Do we still need to change the oil at every 3K ??

Cheers,
No, being a synthetic oil the service intervals are much longer. Even though I always maintain that the changing interval depends upon a person's driving style, I guess the 300V will last for atleast 7-8k kilometers.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:51   #250
BHPian

Randhwa

arrived a little late on your thread,

i think you should join the RE R&D team ! Great goin there..nice thread you have with loads of sensible information.
Old 29th April 2010, 13:17   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
It was I who mentioned the flush. There are Engine Flushes available in the market. After draining all the oil out, add the flush and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Drain that as well and then add the synth oil.
Take the stuff along and force them to change it.
I am not sure but at just 2700 kms it might be okay to avoid the flush. I doubt there would be much of deposition anyways.

No, being a synthetic oil the service intervals are much longer. Even though I always maintain that the changing interval depends upon a person's driving style, I guess the 300V will last for atleast 7-8k kilometers.
Nope, the engine oil stays. On a warm engine, the flush needs to be added to the oil and the engine should be idled for about 3-5 minutes. A table fan would be a handy addition to get some air flow around the engine.

About synthetic's drain interval, 300V would be good for 5000 Kms. I stick to 3K. I do this as I read somewhere that Motul 300V was designed more as a high performance oil that was meant to be changed constantly rather than be used for an extended period as say other synthetics like Amsoil. But, I am not sure whether this reasoning is right. In Bangalore, there is a place that sells Motul for 750 a liter. And, not this isn't old stock.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 29th April 2010, 13:24   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Randhawa, I have followed your thread from the first post and liked every one (especially the first review). You really have the passion and commitment; probably a true quality of a bulleter. I have a new machismo 500 and done 1200km till now. Do you suggest the 300v oil on the AVL engines?
I've been running on 300V for about 10K on my LB500. No issues so far. I use the 15W50 while RE recommends 20W40. I do this as my LB500 isn't stock and also as I ride a bit hard. A few more LB500 friends have been running 15W50 300V for ages without issues.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 29th April 2010, 13:27   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I've been running on 300V for about 10K on my LB500. No issues so far. I use the 15W50 while RE recommends 20W40. I do this as my LB500 isn't stock and also as I ride a bit hard. A few more LB500 friends have been running 15W50 300V for ages without issues.

Cheers,

Jay
You Can Also use Synthetic oils,for Cars Like Mobil1 or shell for LB 500 or Any CI RE,not for Twinsparks though.

A friend always used Mobil1 for his AVL 350 and The 4L Can used to Last him around 8K kms.
Old 29th April 2010, 13:29   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
@randhawa,

Once you put the flush into engine, do not run the engine for more than 5 mins (I think 2 mins is enough) and do not race the engine.
Old 29th April 2010, 13:37   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
@Randhawa: That's great news! 2 questions and a request for you:

1. How did you convince the service guys to fill it up with Synthetic? Last I heard, they threatened to void warranties for the same.

2. Was there anything apart from what was done during the previous services which was done during this last 9k service.

3. Could you please request your service manager to inform Royal Enfield HQ of the drastic improvements with the switch to synthetic (if you are comfortable\have already informed the service manager of the same). Hopefully, this will push them to allow buyers to make the switch if desired.

@KA18: Yes, it is synthetic and is priced around 800 - 900 rupees per litre.
All the UCE Bullets sold in the US of A run synthetic from the dealers end. RE India is very much aware of the benefits of synthetic oil in the UCEs. The talk about warranty being voided from the dealers end is due to the fact that the dealer will lose his margins that he otherwise will make by selling barrel oil. RE also doesn't want to raise the running costs associated with it's motorcycles and hence it is sticking to mineral oils for it's product range. As you must be aware, running cost is a primary factor that most Indian buyers consider closely.

When I first bought my LB500, I had a long conversation with the very knowledgeable service engineer at one of the REs Brand stores. I won't name him here for obvious reasons. He is one man who completely understands the benefits of synthetic oils over mineral blends. He told me, if you can afford synthetic oil, by all means use it. But his opinion cannot be construed as the policy of RE. But, what is important here is the fact that he is a man who was closely involved in putting together the official Re workshop service manual. So, he knows what he's talking about.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks