Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 12:25   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Some Issues/Flaws

2. Front fork sleeve scuffing is due to poor workmanship. All it needs is some spacer to be inserted from down which would align the sleeve with the fork as to get equal clearance throughout and then tighten the sleeves. Since I did mine, it has stopped scuffing but damage has been done with the deep scars on the fork.

I heard RE is designing a shorter sleeve to overcome this issues but that remains to be seen.
Scuffing is also there in my bike. But it is only on the right fork sleeve. This I guess is due to improper alignment of the mudgaurd.

Have to check with the service center guys on this.

By the way my Bike will be going for its first service either on Friday or Saturday.
Old 17th February 2010, 13:05   #122
BHPian

@Randhawa and other Gurus: These days I am in Germany. Next few months I am coming to India, and I want to buy Classic 500.

I am not technical expert but what I understand from the thread is, there is a absence of Lambada Censor in Indian versoin of Classic 500.

So the question is, can I buy Lambada Sensor from Germany and fit it in my bike in India? I search on google and found that there are 2 royal enfield showroom in my town. So I can ask them if they can provide Lambada Censor.
Old 17th February 2010, 13:57   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
@Randhawa and other Gurus: These days I am in Germany. Next few months I am coming to India, and I want to buy Classic 500.

I am not technical expert but what I understand from the thread is, there is a absence of Lambada Censor in Indian versoin of Classic 500.

So the question is, can I buy Lambada Sensor from Germany and fit it in my bike in India? I search on google and found that there are 2 royal enfield showroom in my town. So I can ask them if they can provide Lambada Censor.
Just adding a lambda sensor won't work as the Indian CL500's ECU is mapped to work without the lambda sensor. You will have to remap the ECU on the Indian CL500s to work with the lambda sensor. Why don't you wait a little, till RE solves the lambda sensor issue or better still launches a carbed version. One or both of these developments could happen in the near future.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 17th February 2010, 16:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

@Indian21r- You wont get much help from your service center guys. If you are good at DIY then good otherwise find someone who understands the main reason for scuffing and sort it out for you. It just takes few minutes to sort it out.

@Pawan- No you cant fix an O2 sensor on domestic ECU
Reasons;
Although the one on the export model is a 4wire heated lambda sensor for which there is no wiring in the loom. Pins are blank on the ECU. Even if you manage to plug in wires from O2 sensor into the ECU, it will not work. ECU is not programmed to pick up any signals from O2.
You will need the loom and ECU to attach an O2.
RE has refused(unofficially) to provide me with a export ECU along with an O2. Even though I was ready to pay for it.

RE has refused to acknowledge any issues with the EFI setup with the absence of O2 so zilch hope of having an O2 on C5 in near future. But pollution norms could force RE to provide one. You never know.

I have done the trek till I could reach the RE R&D boys but I have reached a dead end.

I also doubt if I do manage to get an export ecu, I still wont get the benefit of having an O2. Why? It is because its a open loop ECU and what we require is a closed loop ecu to get the most out of it.

Pawan can you enquire from a RE dealer in Germany about the price of the ECU and O2 sensor?
Old 17th February 2010, 18:53   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Indian21r- You wont get much help from your service center guys. If you are good at DIY then good otherwise find someone who understands the main reason for scuffing and sort it out for you. It just takes few minutes to sort it out.

@Pawan- No you cant fix an O2 sensor on domestic ECU
Reasons;
Although the one on the export model is a 4wire heated lambda sensor for which there is no wiring in the loom. Pins are blank on the ECU. Even if you manage to plug in wires from O2 sensor into the ECU, it will not work. ECU is not programmed to pick up any signals from O2.
You will need the loom and ECU to attach an O2.
RE has refused(unofficially) to provide me with a export ECU along with an O2. Even though I was ready to pay for it.

RE has refused to acknowledge any issues with the EFI setup with the absence of O2 so zilch hope of having an O2 on C5 in near future. But pollution norms could force RE to provide one. You never know.

I have done the trek till I could reach the RE R&D boys but I have reached a dead end.

I also doubt if I do manage to get an export ecu, I still wont get the benefit of having an O2. Why? It is because its a open loop ECU and what we require is a closed loop ecu to get the most out of it.

Pawan can you enquire from a RE dealer in Germany about the price of the ECU and O2 sensor?
You have a PM.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 17th February 2010, 21:01   #126
BHPian

@Randhawa: I will ask the dealer on coming Saturday for the price and will let you know. Even I can send it from here to Pune, cause every weekend some collegue travel from Germany to Pune.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 17th February 2010 at 21:02.
Old 17th February 2010, 21:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Pawan, that would be great if you could do that. If it turns out to be too expensive then I shall keep dreaming for the one fine day I'll get it sorted.
Old 17th February 2010, 22:02   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
You have a PM.

Cheers,

Jay
Argh, insider information!
Old 18th February 2010, 12:54   #129
Senior - BHPian

No insider info man. Only stuff about how to address this issue now that RE clearly isn't doing enough. Let's hope the carbed UCE500 arrives soon.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 19th February 2010, 17:33   #130
BHPian

I just found it.

In Germany all the models are EFI, check below link.

Royal Enfield Deutschland | Ihr Royal Enfield Importeur für Deutschland - Modelreihe
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:44   #131
BHPian

Randhawa, Thank you for the detailed review.

I took a test of both the CL500 and CL350; Found that the 350 is perfect for my basic commuting needs and perhaps more. So went on and booked it last week. In the initial part of the review, you've mentioned that you would have regretted if you had not taken the 500. Would you mind elaborating on this? Was it because of the extra performance it offered, or did you notice anything uncanny about the 350?

Thank you
Fel
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:23   #132
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Fel.

Nothing wrong with CL350, its just the performance difference which makes it a world apart from 350.

Everyone has different priorities and reasons to purchase a vehicle. For me difference of 25k and km/l was not a big issue. Some people like me who are normally sedate riders and stick to safety at all times are once in a while bitten by speed bug. Rarely aroused by the wanna be racer boys or specially the bull owners who ride with a full blown exhaust and intimidate you at the traffic lights. Sometimes you just want to get away from all that and that extra power helps in city and overtaking on highways. If I would have stopped at lights with a C5 next to me, at that moment I would have envied the guy and cursed myself again and again for not buying one.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:19   #133
BHPian

Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that it was more of a performance aspect, than anything else. Frankly, I'd be on your side when it comes to riding safe as opposed to surrendering oneself to the onslaught of adrenaline. I've had my close calls, hence would definitely prefer modesty.

Like you've mentioned in your review, the 500 I took my test on seemed to suffer from a mad vibration on the handles when taken over 80kph. I don't think every bullet rider would be inclined to zoom constantly at such speeds, but the it does make you think twice before you have to.

Currently, the waiting time is 4 months; Indeed a pain when you *badly* want one. Never owed a bullet before, but I reckon the wait will be worth

Fel
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:59   #134
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for CL500 is officially min 6 months with booking amount raised to Rs 10,000 from now on.

So if you get your CL350 within 4 months then consider yourself lucky

When you do get your bull, try not to compare it with other bikes and don't get paranoid with the engine noises it will through at you in the beginning. Once you booth get used to each other, it will a ever lasting affair.

Last edited by Randhawa : 3rd March 2010 at 23:04.
Old 4th March 2010, 00:21   #135
BHPian

Yes, I've been reading much about this motorcycle and how it needs to be treated differently. I am trying to collect as much as material as possible on this as well. Had a look at Pete Snidal's manual; Dint realize the amount of dedication it takes to keep it in good form. But I reckon it's the same with everything else...neglect doesn't earn much results.

When I finally do get the bike in hand, I may have a million questions; I hope you wouldn't mind helping me sorting through some of them!

Fel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks