Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 19:26   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Any one lives near Kashmiri gate in Delhi? Need urgent help regarding a bearing I need.

What happened ?
Old 28th July 2010, 21:47   #467
Senior - BHPian

@girishab- You will love your C5 apart from its issues. The looks is what keeps me going and try to improve things. Do report back your experience once you get your baby

@Bhasma- remember the noise I told you about, I think it might be the same issue I had earlier so want to upgrade the culprit bearing for good.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:41   #468
BHPian

Guys take a look at the parts catalogue of C5 in PDF format, by visiting the following link
http://www.royalmotorcycles.com/medi...Oct%202008.pdf

This link was a great find by a fellow C5 owner and friend Bharath Kumar, on another forum (My new Royal Enfield Classic 500 EFi !! - Page 84 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring)

All credits to Bharath Kumar from Bangalore for this. Enjoy !!

Last edited by bradhey : 29th July 2010 at 11:44.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:44   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT, but walked into a Royal Enfield dealership yday to enquire about the Thunderbird. I was stunned to be told that the minimum waiting period for a Royal Enfield is 4 months (Thunderbird/Electra), and the Classics stretch to 8 months !
Old 29th July 2010, 11:51   #470
Senior - BHPian

It's for a European C5, few parts are different and missing from the parts catalogue. Even the part no's are incorrect for some of them as the new parts catalogue with updated part no's for the domestic C5 is a lot better.

Thanks for sharing with us. It will help lot of people to see whats inside their bulls.

If someone wants the domestic C5 parts catalogue then go to your nearest RE workshop to have a look. May be you could borrow the book and get it photocopied if they give you the permission.

@theMAG. I think it depends upon city to city, down here is not a big waiting list for TBTS. You can have it in a month and UCE electra in 20days.

Last edited by Randhawa : 29th July 2010 at 11:53.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:01   #471
Senior - BHPian

Ammeter on C5

Although my first electrical mod went down the drain when I tried to make the TBTS RPM meter to work on C5 due to the the ignition spark being supplied twice in a complete stroke where as on TBTS its only once.

For few months I have been planning for a trip to Leh and wondered if I could fix Aux lights without destroying anything. Although the alternator is quite a beefy one, chucking out close to 220w. But still I have doubts if it can support couple of 50w lights without sucking the battery dry and leaving me to achieve Nirvana in middle of nowhere so I can have a story for Discovery Channel(I should not be alive).

To see if the extra Aux lights would work, I needed an ammeter to monitor the charging with the aux lights as well as load on the electric system.

I simply chose the cheapest and nice looking Ammeter from RE stable. I wanted the meter with the white dial and got lucky to get one as new ones are with a black dial. Also got a 15amp fuse to go with it(dont use the meter without the fuse).

Wiring is simple, red wire goes to battery with the fuse in between. Red/yellow goes to the red/white wire on the R&R.

Took the warning meter out and placed the ammeter in, plugged in the wires and Voila It worked like a charm. Switched on all the lights, inc indicator/break and it showed very minimal deflection. On increasing the rpm
it showed charging. At least I know the R&R is neither charging to less or too much. A perfect balance. Now all I need is to fix the meter somewhere and then test the charging/draining with the Aux lights.

Any ideas where I can place it? I am thinking to place it in the place of ignition switch and relocating the switch to the rear box(old shtyle) or perhaps somewhere on the handle with an extension arm. What say?

Last edited by Randhawa : 2nd August 2010 at 20:15.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:27   #472
BHPian

hey dude!!
just curious, im gonna get my RE TBTS in about a months time, and i was thinking of downsizing from 19" to 18" wheels, just like on the C500/350. could you tell me, if you know, how much would it cost me for the rims and tyres together??
thanks a lot buddy!!
Ride safe!!
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:02   #473
Senior - BHPian

First of all my humble request to not downsize the tyre size for instability issues.

If you still wish to do so then

Rs 1500 for the front rim/hub without disc(TBTS disc will go on to the new one) and about RS 1500 for the rear hub and rim. + cost of tyre/tubes approx. 3-4k for stock tires.

These prices are from a RE dealer. It could be a bit more or less, depending upon dealer to dealer.

In all it should cost you no more then 7k, although brand new parts will be expensive but depends how resourceful you are with good contacts. It could be less if you manage to get good prices for your tires and rims/hubs.
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:23   #474
BHPian

Finally picked the biked

I took delivery of my bike on last Friday. Have clocked only 65 kms since then, but plan to ride it more often this week. Just cant wait to complete the running in of the engine. Have to control the urge of opening the throttle and keeping it under 60kmph (as suggested by RE guys) is very difficult.

How do I feel? Awesome

Request suggestions/advice from all the experienced riders here on the following points:

1. When I start in the mornings, i hear kind of "tik-tik" sound for about 10 seconds, which dies down later. Is this normal? I am using self-starter almost all the times when I start.

2. RE guys say 60kmph is the limit until first service and then 80kmph until the second service. I remember the manual saying 50kmph until first service. Is it ok to take it till 60kmph?

3. Most of the times I feel that the bike is comfortable in 4th gear around 60kmph. During run-in, is it ok to keep it in 4th often and ocassionally in 5th? Or do I need to run through all the gears religiously?

4. This morning, I saw oil dripping from the drain plug (not much, but enough to cause a panic in me). Initially I thought it was from the chain, but then traced it to the drain plug. I plan to get it checked at the service center tomorrow. Hope this is not anything major.

5. The RVMs vibrate to the point of being useless at speeds between 20-30 kmph. I tried varying the rpm, but that does not seem to help and I have made sure that I am not unnecessarily loading the engine by being in higher gear. RE guys said it will subside soon once the engine settles in. Is this common?
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:00   #475
BHPian

For 2-5.

Enfield engines are meant for YEARS and hence its very important the way you drive in the initial period. If the dealer has told you max of 60, then its probably for the last gear . Keeping the engine in the band is the key , not under /not over straining. to do that you should find the sweet spot in every gear to change the gear. YOu need not necessarily try to use 5th gear but the rpm has to be consistent across gears and when you press the throttle do that consistently. Religiously !! Yes

Enfield means vibrations, dont worry. but for 4, suggest you show it to the *** quickly.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:20   #476
BHPian

After a 7 month wait, I got my bike yesterday. The service center mentioned that the maximum run in speed is 50 kmph. In 5th gear, this definitely lugs the engine (atleast in its current state), so I am risking pushing it to 60.

Run-ins should be outlawed on such a wonderful engine.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:12   #477
Senior - BHPian

@Girishab-Tic-tic noise is normal on startup, no need to worry. You can touch 60 with no ill effects. Vibrations will subside down in due course.

@GreaseMonk- There is no risk in touching 60, just dont go over 70 for 500km. Then take it to 80-90 till 2k.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:27   #478

Nice thread guys ! very informative ! @Randhawa : Very helpful information posted by you.

I just picked up a C5, last friday. Done 100 Kms. When can I go for the Offroad Silencer ?

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:59   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishin.kalra View Post
Nice thread guys ! very informative ! @Randhawa : Very helpful information posted by you.

I just picked up a C5, last friday. Done 100 Kms. When can I go for the Offroad Silencer ?

Thanks
Congratulations! Wait till 3k, after that put it on.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:10   #480
BHPian

hey Grease Monk, congrats on getting your bull after such a long wait!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks