Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 05:44   #1
BHPian

Stocking up spare parts for my Bull

RE has stopped production of Bullet 350 Standard or rather emission norms killed the Bullet (as you all know, even I learned it first from teambhp ). Now, I am pretty apprehensive about getting spares for my 1978 Bullet. I have seen my friend running all over India and paying through his nose for spares for his 1982 Yezdi Classic. You guys would think that I am being paranoid as there are many Bulls out there and the Royal Enfield company is still around. Recently, I had to hunt for nearly 2 months just for my rear tyre. So guys I want to stock up on spares for my Bull.. What all should I get?
Old 15th March 2010, 10:12   #2
BHPian

RE has sold a lot more than Yezdi's etc even during that period so the situation is very different.

Tyres are not really a problem: but yeah choices are pretty much limited in the 19" segment. You could consider downsizing to 18": not to difficult to do.
Old 15th March 2010, 10:22   #3
BHPian

i own a Bull 350, so what i got for myself are some standard thing, which might go kaput or might need replacement, a carb., a CB point kit, cables, a spark plug, some spare bulbs, petrol T ( already changed 2 for leakage ), a Petrol Tank ( ordered, Changed one for leakage ), a chain sproket kit, air filter, air filter, battery box, a cluth pate set, timing gears, timing pins ( not installed ) , front mudgard ( got nicked when the mech tried to force fit the Diamond leg guard wrongly ),

What i intend to get is tappets , and some more parts but Re engineer assured me that for next 5 - 10 years no part would be short supplied.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
RE has sold a lot more than Yezdi's etc even during that period so the situation is very different.

Tyres are not really a problem: but yeah choices are pretty much limited in the 19" segment. You could consider downsizing to 18": not to difficult to do.
Boss, I am not sure downsizing to 18". It would affect handling.
Do you have any idea about where you would get tyres (3.50 19") for Bull in Pune?

RE guys are very unreliable. They function like a sarkari office, at least in Pune. Dhoni Automobiles is the only authorized RE dealer in Pune city now. But they don't have any accessories. I tried to get Royal Enfield Bike cover, they didn't have it. I tried to get disc brakes fixed from them, they didn't have it either. The mechanic who I spoke to in Dhoni workshop said "we don't stock spares"!!!
My only solace in Nana Peth where you get spares of any two-wheeler and my mechanic who gets spares "magically out of thin air"!!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th March 2010 at 19:26. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 15th March 2010, 19:35   #5
BHPian

i just took the factory tour the other day. i was assured that they will continue to produce and distribute spares for some time. no amount of years were mentioned.
i think in india, you will always be able to get parts.
i have a 72 in the states and will be shipping and carrying in my luggage when i leave many parts! the ones in the states are for the export model and waaaaay expensive!!!!
over IR700 for a cable for instance...
for your tire.man, take a ride to bombay. i'm sure you can get whatever you need there and be home by lunch!
Old 15th March 2010, 20:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Boss, I am not sure downsizing to 18". It would affect handling.
Do you have any idea about where you would get tyres (3.50 19") for Bull in Pune?

RE guys are very unreliable. They function like a sarkari office, at least in Pune. Dhoni Automobiles is the only authorized RE dealer in Pune city now. But they don't have any accessories. I tried to get Royal Enfield Bike cover, they didn't have it. I tried to get disc brakes fixed from them, they didn't have it either. The mechanic who I spoke to in Dhoni workshop said "we don't stock spares"!!!
My only solace in Nana Peth where you get spares of any two-wheeler and my mechanic who gets spares "magically out of thin air"!!!
For any bullet spare, you can go to Shree spares. It is located close to Nanapeth(not exactly Nanapeth) but near the Bhavanipeth mutton market. You will get most accessories there as he is the official distributor of all RE parts in Pune. For critical spares like engine/chassis parts, you can contact Pandurang Deshpande, the area service manager of RE for Pune region. If you want, I can PM you his email ID. I'd advise you to start hoarding a few critical engine parts which suddenly might become tough to source. Especially, the tappets(not the pushrods) are items that are usually not available.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 15th March 2010, 21:31   #7
BHPian

Jay please do PM me his email ID
Old 15th March 2010, 21:51   #8
BHPian

So these are some of the critical parts that I have decided to stock up

(1) Tappets, tappets and tappets
(2) Carb
(3)CB point kit
(4) Clutch Plates
(5) spark plug
(6) timing gears
(7) timing pins

I think tyres will be available, even Thunderbird has the same wheel specs
What about Piston? I remember my friend running around for a piston for his Enfield Taurus.
Guys, please feel free to add more items to my list!!!
Regards
Sam
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:17   #9
BHPian

I have started to stock things up for my bull. I went to Shree spares today . And bought three spark plugs and 2 clutch plates. The shopwallah asked me if I had three bulls. I said 'yes' !!!
Old 26th March 2010, 18:58   #10
BHPian

The tyres are indeed difficult to get (MRF Nylogrip 3.50-90-19) not keen on putting the 110/90 tyre which the MRF dealer in udupi told me he can source. does anyone have a clue if the MRF Nylogrip 3.50-90-19 is available in mangalore / bangalore?
Old 27th March 2010, 17:31   #11
BHPian

Even in Pune, the rear tyres (3.50 19 inch) is not available. I had to run around for nearly a week and then my mech got it from Mumbai. Howz the picture down south?
Old 27th March 2010, 21:35   #12
BHPian

The dunlop is available... But it doesn't 'grip' as good as the nylogrip I'm still searching...
Old 28th March 2010, 23:34   #13
BHPian

I think Pirelli has some tyre which matches Bull wheel specifications (3.50 19 inch). I checked out its site, couldn't understand anything
Guys, does anyone know which tyre it is?
Old 29th March 2010, 13:35   #14
BANNED

This is being paranoid.

Why dont you buy a complete bike and use it for parts as and when necessary. Leave it parked for ever otherwise.

Oh well you are stocking on spark plugs too?? Dude seriously..
Old 29th March 2010, 13:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This is being paranoid.

Why dont you buy a complete bike and use it for parts as and when necessary. Leave it parked for ever otherwise.

Oh well you are stocking on spark plugs too?? Dude seriously..

try finding parts for a yezdi roadking and you'll know... that bike was in production till 1996... better buy now when available at ease, than wait with the bike being idle later

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks